What was your most inexpensive or most cost effective HiFi discovery

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Dom

Today I optimised the cable management in my computer. It looks very tidy and thoughtfully arranged, leaving no stone unturned.

So the DAC might have a subtle crispness in the upper frequency's, but otherwise seems like a very decent investment. I'm genuinely impressed by the budget offering and provides an enjoyable listening experience.

I don't see any reason to pursue another DAC at the moment (Plus i'm poor as hell.).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 201267

Hang on I got to bend down low, glad I had an early breakfast :)
Courtesy of AliExpress and eBay - see below:

Some of the mains cable, the silver coloured ones in the photo, I made myself about half the price as the one's listed below.
View attachment 5283
View attachment 5284
View attachment 5285

View attachment 5287

View attachment 5286
Just to add if any of you were thinking about purchasing the Audiowalle Mains Filter power protection (eBay), it has six UK plug sockets and four US plug sockets. It's really bizarre on Aliexpress the UK plugs are more expensive than the US ones (I use both), and it's made from the same mains cable, how odd?
Is there any reason you have so many different makes / models in use, and instead, not just different lengths of the same cable model such as these :-

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Is there any reason you have so many different makes / models in use, and instead, not just different lengths of the same cable model such as these :-
I kind of purchase these adhoc. I had in mind to try one, and one became two etc.
I just love the look of these, beautifully constructed. I'm not sure it offers any real benefits to the ones sold on Radio Shack
I sort of like the different patterns than boring black ones. Its more visual but I understand, some people would rather have something less stated, less conspicuous. Just me I guess a bit nutty 😂
There are two mains cables that are the same, a couple also I made from the same cable and the others from different manufacturers. I started with UK plugs and moved to US type because these were sold cheaper.
I never really had in my head to buy so many but it kind of evolved.
In hindsight, it makes perfect sense to have purchase all in one go 😊

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 201267

I kind of purchase these adhoc. I had in mind to try one, and one became two etc.
I just love the look of these, beautifully constructed. I'm not sure it offers any real benefits to the ones sold on Radio Shack
I sort of like the different patterns than boring black ones. Its more visual but I understand, some people would rather have something less stated, less conspicuous. Just me I guess a bit nutty 😂
There are two mains cables that are the same, a couple also I made from the same cable and the others from different manufacturers. I started with UK plugs and moved to US type because these were sold cheaper.
I never really had in my head to buy so many but it kind of evolved.
In hindsight, it makes perfect sense to have purchase all in one go 😊
Thanks for the further detailed reply.

Reactions: Jasonovich

AJM1981

Thank you for your comments but the buck stops here with me 😊
I will not be party to another dreaded cable debate. 😂
I am nevertheless appreciative of your feedback.

I have cable preferences but not in an audible sort of way.

I like cables in which the cable itself is as heavy or heavier than the banana plugs.

And what counts more is that they compliment the design of the loudspeaker in some way. Might sound ridiculous to people who mainly put audible faith in it but mostly they also end with good looking cables.

When given that any modern loudspeaker is optically designed for grilles off ("old" loudspeakers were made for grilles on) and the backside looks as slick in design as the front, you don't want to have something that looks like string and rope attached to it.

Unfortunately for me and this point of view, changing a speaker cable is like changing a power cord for its thickness and color. Yes, it could be, but In practical sense it has no potential 'wow' effect so spending anything on it feels like throwing money into a void.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I have cable preferences but not in an audible sort of way.

I like cables in which the cable itself is as heavy or heavier than the banana plugs.

And what counts more is that they compliment the design of the loudspeaker in some way. Might sound ridiculous to people who mainly put audible faith in it but mostly they also end with good looking cables.

When given that any modern loudspeaker is optically designed for grilles off ("old" loudspeakers were made for grilles on) and the backside looks as slick in design as the front, you don't want to have something that looks like string and rope attached to it.

Unfortunately for me and this point of view, changing a speaker cable is like changing a power cord for its thickness and color. Yes, it could be, but In practical sense it has no potential 'wow' effect so spending anything on it feels like throwing money into a void.
I hear you and its not strange as it sounds, I can identity with that. The visuals are important too but granted not everyone cares for it.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS