Will I over do it with 6mm cable wires?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
lol..... you guys, I swear...

anyhoo, to the op...... try them all. Get short runs of the various diameters and see if they do indeed make a difference.

Compare bell wire with the 6mm stuff and everything inbetween. seriously if you have an old electrical device like a lawn mower try the chord on that too.

don't be afraid to experiment - you may save yourself some cash. Come back and let us know how you get on.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Everybody's wrong about everything and you're all idiots! :mad:

(Apologies for that outburst but his is a cable thread and I was just trying to get into the spirit of things :D )

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Everybody's wrong about everything and you're all idiots! :mad:

(Apologies for that outburst but his is a cable thread and I was just trying to get into the spirit of things :D )

You mean 90% wrong. :twisted:

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
SiUK said:
Thicker cable equals more copper and more bass! So if you want more bass...

Sorry siuk but thats rubbish. Should we use 22mm copper pipe instead of cable. May need a GasSafe installer but at least plenty of copper there. And separate solid silver bars to increase treble in biamp mode. Hopefully u r not serious but just in case op is misled then wire is fine. Not fine wire tho. :)

For what its worth, hollow cables are used in a number of applications where cooling liquid is pumped through the conductor (superconductor magnets, powerstation alternators etc), or where (given skin effect) cost savings can be made by not having wasted copper carrying no current at the centre of the conductor.

I have seen cryogenically treated speaker cables for sale (no idea why, seemed marketing nonsense to me), but how about superconducting speaker cables?

I see a market niche....

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks andy for taking me serioisly. Taking F1 practice as lead I have been experimenting with copper pipework in an effort to maintain constant temperature at any volume. I find liquid nitrogen a little too cold, favouring -20degC currently. The extra bass at low temps is amazing but still worried around 40-50khz where the cold copper tends to attenuate. More.work to be done.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
My my, the stand up circuit has really been missing out ...some right comedians here. ;)

In the mid 90s there was an article in a well known Hi-Fi mag and someone had used mercury to connect source to speakers. If I recall correctly the mercury was in 'troughs' (from valve amps I think). Of course there'll always be someone - or a group of someones - around to point out that such antics are totally worthless, crazy, idiotic, but what the heck, it was entertaining and if the person that did it didn't mind risking their life with hazardous material then who is anyone else to criticise? I don't recall whether more mercury increased the bass or treble though. .... :wave:

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Generally metals.resistance lowers with twmperature and at very low temps the electrical resistance becomes effectively nuffin. Superconductivity. But I recon u knew that.

Heat is our common enemy in so many ways. Looking forward to winter for increased sq/pq. And maybe there is some truth in this. But on the other hand .... I think the op has had the answers/opinions to his post so amusement at this point is fair game.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
SiUK said:
My my, the stand up circuit has really been missing out ...some right comedians here. ;)

In the mid 90s there was an article in a well known Hi-Fi mag and someone had used mercury to connect source to speakers. If I recall correctly the mercury was in 'troughs' (from valve amps I think). Of course there'll always be someone - or a group of someones - around to point out that such antics are totally worthless, crazy, idiotic, but what the heck, it was entertaining and if the person that did it didn't mind risking their life with hazardous material then who is anyone else to criticise? I don't recall whether more mercury increased the bass or treble though. .... :wave:

Mercury is shiny and bright, so it must have increased the treble. Copper is warm and golden, so that increases bass.

As far as I can tell this is the sum of the argument for silver plated cables sounding bright - so it must apply to mercury as well? Or would mercury just increase the fluidity of the music?

alienmango

May 29, 2013
Visit site
From someone with experience where the cable thickness actually caused an effect thats not subjective........ (the internal tweeter protection would keep cutting out the tweeter with thin wires) - and I mean THIN - it was very very thin cable, this was around 100-200w rms. Moving to some basic qed cable fixed this.

I'd say 2.5 would be fine, I use 2.5 for a 600w rms subwoofer and it's fine. The drive unit itself uses less than 2.5mm winding and that can take peaks of 4000w and 1000w rms/aes.

I'd avoid 1.5mm, the cable that failed was less than 1mm but it must be having some detrimental effects on the sound before then.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Well I am waiting for someone to make cables out of Graphene ,it is only one atom thick and being only 2 dimensional it should fit nicely under the carpet . ;) http://www.azom.com/news.aspx?newsID=11679

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
andyjm said:
SiUK said:

Mercury is shiny and bright, so it must have increased the treble. Copper is warm and golden, so that increases bass.

As far as I can tell this is the sum of the argument for silver plated cables sounding bright - so it must apply to mercury as well? Or would mercury just increase the fluidity of the music?

So....

Should I use a pair of aluminium for my high frequency biwire speaker terminals and a set of thick copper wires for my bass section of speaker terminals :p :p :doh: :doh:

namefail

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Maybe give a little thought to Unobtanium solid cored , its brilliant if you can find some :twisted:

And I've must say what a fine avatar you have fd..........ok, I'll get me coat.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
RobinKidderminster said:
Should we use 22mm copper pipe instead of cable.

Soldered or compression fittings? If solder, traditional stuff or the new fangled lead free? Any tips for a good flux? :grin:

I hope you're pronouncing the "L" there. Makes me shudder when Americans talk about "soddering irons"...

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
for heavy metal fans...

lead-sheath.jpg

namefail

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
floyd droid said:
namefail said:
And I've must say what a fine avatar you have fd..........ok, I'll get me coat.

Hmm interesting , what are you seeing because I'm not seeing what I thought I should be ?.

Oh golly, I didn’t think we’d drift into subjective perceptions here, ‘twas just a wee follow on from your Avatar/Unobtanium joke.

And whatever you think you’re seeing is right, always, unless you’re wrong.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Yeah me too Ben. But my replacement may be showing elsewhere and is doing the server rounds. It may appear it may not ,we will see or maybe we wont ,lol.

namefail

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Yeah me too Ben. But my replacement may be showing elsewhere and is doing the server rounds. It may appear it may not ,we will see or maybe we wont ,lol.

Aha, it's still showing two glowing tubes atm. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts