What have you done Cno?....now I believe in Black Ravioli

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
shafesk said:
Thanks for the suggestion Cno, I will give it a shot. I have some spare marble hanging around so I will try it with that first and if it makes a difference I'll go for the granite. You do realise if it works, there will be plenty more threads asking for your opinion? :read:

Don't you mean plenty of threads saying that I'm nuts, and you're worse for listening to me!!

If you have usable marble, you shouldn't need Granite.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
acalex said:
Please, where did you buy these copies of BR? I really would like to experiment a cheap solution before going for the best :). Thanks a lot
Hey acalex, while I haven't got around to uploading the pictures...this is nearly the same thing at 7 pounds I think they are worth a try http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004O06TWU/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d4_g23_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=046P4AZASF5WHZZYZBWK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
shafesk said:
Thanks for the suggestion Cno, I will give it a shot. I have some spare marble hanging around so I will try it with that first and if it makes a difference I'll go for the granite. You do realise if it works, there will be plenty more threads asking for your opinion? :read:

Don't you mean plenty of threads saying that I'm nuts, and you're worse for listening to me!!

If you have usable marble, you shouldn't need Granite.
Well Max's thread was a bit of a pain in ze behind but it came around...if you are crazy atleast you are not crazy alone. That's great that I don't need granite then :dance: the marble looks good too. Will have it cut over the weekend and let you know.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Mmmm... I'm a little bit suspect of 'sound enhancers'. This sceptism was born out of a recommendation by WHFI to place a house brick on your CDP. The housing association would go bananas. :doh:
Maybe you could try sitting on your CDP, like a male Penguin on an egg!! :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
Mmmm... I'm a little bit suspect of 'sound enhancers'. This sceptism was born out of a recommendation by WHFI to place a house brick on your CDP. The housing association would go bananas. :doh:

Maybe you could try sitting on your CDP, like a male Penguin on an egg!! :)

Cno - are you trying to hatch a plan?

Always

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Just a little update here, having been won over by the cheap stuff I decided to go serious. I bought cone feet made of copper (kinda like Russ Andrews Oak feet but Copper) and put it under the amp and dac. Here it made no difference whatsoever. So I guess it is only the stuff that absorbs the vibration like rubber works better (atleast for my setup) than stuff that tries to add mass to it. I am yet to try it with my turntable, I will report back my findings.

I read an article on another Hi-fi mag about turntables that said if you want to make a turntable you can go two ways-1)light weight 2) heavy weight. If you are going heavy weight it then better be bulky. I guess something similar applies to this situation.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Question please! Suspended floorboards & carpet & spiked spks. What should I try for a cheap experiment? Amp on glass STAX. Always willing to experiment but which direction? I know nuffin'

Cheers

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Question please! Suspended floorboards & carpet & spiked spks. What should I try for a cheap experiment? Amp on glass STAX. Always willing to experiment but which direction? I know nuffin'

Cheers

solid wood. always. maybe not so cheap but you won't have to experiment thereafter.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Spose you could try some Sorbothane blobs (evilbay circa 6 quid ) plus a slab of mdf betwixt. Amp/mdf/blobs/glass or whathaveyou.

Or, resist piddling around and and listen to your music, far cheaper option ;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:

Cheers

Wood is a good option....maybe try some MDF or Plywood, or Maple chopping boards. Then there's Ayre Myrtle blocks which aren't expensive; and has been suggested, Sorbothane or something like Foculpods (this soft rubber turns the vibrations into heat).

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Expensive option, which will be the best tweak you can do by a country mile.

1 x Redimix lorry.

Rip up floorboards/joists etc.

Fill with said Redimix.

Swaridid, but in fairness the joists were shot, so to hell with it in came the concrete man. Perfecto. :)

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Whilst I order the concrete I can try wood but r the spks on spikes or rubber onto wood and spikes or rubber or flat on carpet for the wood? Lets call them bespoke wooden plynths with antiresonant acoustic treatment. And the electronics?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Expensive option, which will be the best tweak you can do by a country mile.

1 x Redimix lorry.

Rip up floorboards/joists etc.

Fill with said Redimix.

Swaridid, but in fairness the joists were shot, so to hell with it in came the concrete man. Perfecto. :)

Yer on form this mornin' FD! :grin:

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
I have my speakers plonked straght down on the deck , no spikes. Couldnt hear a blind bit of difference using spikes so in the bits and bobs box they went. Try it Rob , nowt to loose have ye.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Whilst I order the concrete I can try wood but r the spks on spikes or rubber onto wood and spikes or rubber or flat on carpet for the wood? Lets call them bespoke wooden plynths with antiresonant acoustic treatment. And the electronics?

My first bit of advice was for your equipment rack.

For speakers, they need to be as steady as possible and level, completely isolated from the suspended floor and the right height.

If feeling adventurous, you could try a sandwich construction platform, made from 2 Granite Worktop Savers with a thin rubber or sorbothane layer in between. If it wobbles on the carpet, you can (if possible) rest the Granite on 4 little screws that have been screwed into the floor and adjusted to leave the Granite level.

If not feeling adventurous, just use one slab....get these from somewhere that they can be returned to, if not effective.

I would use the spikes into spike shoes.....which can, is necessary, be made by punching a dent into 1Ps, and sticking laminate floor savers on the other side.

Any stands should be filled with rice/sand, and Blu-tak used under the speaker.....this again acts as isolation. Remember that metal spikes couple a speaker to what it's sitting on, which is why spiking speakers into a suspended wooden floor isn't always ideal.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
For speakers, they need to be as steady as possible and level, completely isolated from the suspended floor and the right height.

Spose Rob could hang em from the ceiling with bungee ropes, at a push ,lol :shifty:.

Last couple of lines in your post are spot on Cno. Suspended floors , yuk, nasty nasty little blighters.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
floyd droid said:
CnoEvil said:

Spose Rob could hang em from the ceiling with bungee ropes, at a push ,lol :shifty:.

Last couple of lines in your post are spot on Cno. Suspended floors , yuk, nasty nasty little blighters.

With a talent for bu!!s!*t, and a lorry load of cement, you could go far, my son!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts