Anyone have any experience with Black Ravioli isolation?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
hone_u2 said:
I've used a lot of Auralex! :) Their Bass Traps, diffusers etc. In the early days those taught me a lot about how a room sound can be changed... haha

I'm in New Zealand... :) I'll check out those racks when I get the time! Thanks a lot cNo! :)

Hone

You may forget the dealer idea then. :doh:

It's a link giving Lavardin's view on what to set your kit on, and the effect of different materials.

Something like an Auralex Sub Dude / Gramma would give near total isolation for whatever is placed on it.

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
hone_u2 said:
I've used a lot of Auralex! :) Their Bass Traps, diffusers etc. In the early days those taught me a lot about how a room sound can be changed... haha

I'm in New Zealand... :) I'll check out those racks when I get the time! Thanks a lot cNo! :)

Hone

It's a link giving Lavardin's view on what to set your kit on, and the effect of different materials.

Something like an Auralex Sub Dude / Gramma would give near total isolation for whatever is placed on it.

I have a subdude HT already for my KEF qseries sub, using it for this sounds like an ingenius idea... Thanks! :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
hone_u2 said:
CnoEvil said:
hone_u2 said:

Hone

I have a subdude HT already for my KEF qseries sub, using it for this sounds like an ingenius idea... Thanks! :)

Sounds like you can do a no-cost trial. :bounce:

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
hone_u2 said:
CnoEvil said:
hone_u2 said:

Hone

Sounds like you can do a no-cost trial. :bounce:

It does indeed! :) Also, since you have experience with it... For my preamp and DAC, which Black Ravioli/Auralex product do you recommend I should look at?

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
I don't know whether to laugh or cry when i read threads like this. It is worth a quick look on the BR website; in the set up section it says this:

"Much is made of the burn in time for components to adjust when first applied to a system and it is just the same with Black Ravioli."

Burn in FFS!

In the technology section it says

The Black Ravioli design is focused on the audio system, not just individual components. It considers issues arising from vibration during the complete process of reproducing an audio or visual performance. It is not an objective of the Black Ravioli System to absolutely remove vibration.

The remainder of this section is under review."

Presumably because trading standards objected to the ludicrous claims being made.

Has anyone cut one of these open to see what's inside? How do they work differently to the much, much Cheaper Acoustifeet that I and others have linked too? Or the old half a squash ball number?

Their website is very slick though - and that's 90% of the battle won when you want to con someone.

Incidentally, my car must have excellent suspension. Not only does it have an hdd audio player, all the engine management, stability control etc. is electronic too. Oddly enough, the music never jumps and everything else works just fine.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
You might like to have a read of Lavardins FAQs (last 4 questions): http://www.lavardin.com/lavardin-faqE.html#support

Interesting article however I don't agree about their views on Carbon Fibre. Why are tripods made from CF because their vibrate less than Aluminium and are lighter. Yes you can still get wooden ones but they tend to bigger and heavier than CF.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
hone_u2 said:
It does indeed! :) Also, since you have experience with it... For my preamp and DAC, which Black Ravioli/Auralex product do you recommend I should look at?

I would experiment with your Auralex pad first, and see if you hear any difference.

Regarding the BR pads, they are too expensive to buy blind....my write up explained which pads I preferred (eg. the cheaper pads). If you can't get ones to try, it may be worth contacting the company to see if they will organize this.

This is an area where nobody can tell you what will work, as it's situation and component dependent.....I once tried putting BR under an Audio Note DAC, and all the life and vibrancy went out of the sound.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
CnoEvil said:
You might like to have a read of Lavardins FAQs (last 4 questions): http://www.lavardin.com/lavardin-faqE.html#support

Interesting article however I don't agree about their views on Carbon Fibre. Why are tripods made from CF because their vibrate less than Aluminium and are lighter. Yes you can still get wooden ones but they tend to bigger and heavier than CF.

It is interesting, and I don't fully agree either......though I do think simple, cheap, thick plywood on isolating rubber feet, works better than glass / marble / Granite, for putting electrical components on.

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
BigH said:
CnoEvil said:

It is interesting, and I don't fully agree either......though I do think simple, cheap, thick plywood on isolating rubber feet, works better than glass / marble / Granite, for putting electrical components on.

I agree too! Simple plywood works really well! I remember long back, I made a turntable platform out of a double layer plywood and a half inflated rubber tube... worked well for me! :) Wasn't very dog friendly though :(

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Much muddle headed thinking on this thread.

1. Is any of my equipment microphonic? (yes if you are in the stone age and have a turntable, or are using valves, probably no if your equipment is modern electronic). Use the pencil test described by me earlier in the thread to check. If no, go read some other thread about speaker cables. If yes, continue.

2. Is the equipment sensitive to vibration through its mountings (feet)? or is it airborne vibration? If airborne go to 3, if feet go to 4.

3. You need to COUPLE your equipment to its support. Spikes, clamps, weights will all help.

4. You need to ISOLATE your equipment from its support. Compliant supports, sprung suspension will help.

Best solution for very microphonic systems is to put the equipment in another room to the speakers if at all possible.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
hone_u2 said:
I agree too! Simple plywood works really well! I remember long back, I made a turntable platform out of a double layer plywood and a half inflated rubber tube... worked well for me! :) Wasn't very dog friendly though :(

Yes Ive seen those meant to be better than the expensive hifi ones.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I could understand the need for isolation if the equipment was located next to a washing machine, or on the same shelf as the speakers, or your system is six feet away from a busy railway line and you live in a caravan!

Surely, in a normal domestic living room (away from any earthquake zones) this is all irrelevant except for - as andyjm pointed out - a little common sense care with siting a turntable.

The biggest vibrations are going to come from inside the electronics. CD mechanisms or insufficiently secured transformers in amplifiers (which should be fixed or returned anyway, so don't really count for the purposes of this discussion as we aren't talking about mitigating against manufacturing faults).

It's all getting rather silly. Naim with their flexible (wobbly) mains connectors is a good example. Just how much vibration does a rigid mains connector 'conduct' into the device from it's mains cable? Has anyone ever suffered from vibrating mains cables?

Black Ravioli used to make claims that they used technology from nuclear submarine research. I suspect some bloke bought a truckload of rejected / surplus acoustic tiles from the stores at a local submarine base for a bargain price and chopped them up into tiny pieces that can be sold for a fortune.

(The registered adress of Sailforth Ltd. is only seven miles from Faslane by road and just over the water from Holy Loch.)

Here is a link to the ASA adjudications on three complaints (all upheld) against Black Ravioli's original advertising claims...

http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2012/9/Sailforth-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_196786.aspx

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
namefail said:
And I wonder why we're getting attention from Indian Guru spam. :rofl:

Oh yeah I saw that yesterday too!!! :D haha It was funny!

Chebby, I don't disagree to a word you and the others are saying...

Its just that I have never seen a Black ravioli product, and just like all the dark arts in HifI like this and Shunyata cables and all that, I would like to try it out for myself... It's just that I'm really intrigued to see what it does... And i just need something of that sort for my Mac mini... But I would love to try it out with my preamp and hear what it does...

Marketing claim or not, if at all it does something good, why not try it?

I've not had the experience with this... And I feel it would be nice to have it... :)

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
If you want to spend serious money on isolation (or decoupling or coupling!) try Stillpoints:

http://www.stillpoints.us/

Cones, spikes or Sorbothane sheet/pads? I like machined oak speaker cable-risers. If lightening strikes, your speakers are toast but you don't scorch your carpet!

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
busb said:
If you want to spend serious money on isolation (or decoupling or coupling!) try Stillpoints:

http://www.stillpoints.us/

Cones, spikes or Sorbothane sheet/pads? I like machined oak speaker cable-risers. If lightening strikes, your speakers are toast but you don't scorch your carpet!

I have heard of them haha I had tried something called the Ultra something, I don't know about the lightning thing... But it seemed to only add an aesthtic appeal in the equipment I used it in that time... Thanks for that though... :)

T

the record spot

Black Ravioli eh?

Tip: get some of the real stuff. Handmade if you can, it'll cost less. Boil it, eat it as a nice dinner and sit back. Far more satisfying...

namefail

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
ghost_boo.gif

steve_1979 said:
I'm shocked. :doh:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Let me remind all you comedians, of the thread title: " Anyone have any experience with Black Ravioli isolation".

The answer you are striving for, is NO. :p ;)

...except for Steve, where it was incorrectly placed! :wall:

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If you want to hear the.effects of.isolation go to the.nordost room at thw.bristol show this year

If anyine.went last year they may.have seen a.demo where they played a track on a cd player then lift the player onto their cone feet whatever they are called and played the same track again

The.same song sounded quite different

The cd player was already ontop of an equipment rack

I.am.sure they will do the same demo this year

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts