Black Ravioli

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
oh bay the way the reason I was given for the amazing affect was that the br changed the vibration from the sound waves into heat which then dissepates taking away any undue effects that the vibrations would have on the sound

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
toyota man said:
hi all when I was listenig to new cd players my local dealer ( martins hifi) put some br under the dac which made a huge difference and it made as much difference again when placed under the transport it even affected the sound stage for the better when placed under the dac which realy suprised me

Thank you Sir, for confirming I'm not completely nuts (or there are at least two of us). :)

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
bullas_-_hogwash.jpg

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
toyota man said:
hi all when I was listenig to new cd players my local dealer ( martins hifi) put some br under the dac which made a huge difference and it made as much difference again when placed under the transport it even affected the sound stage for the better when placed under the dac which realy suprised me

Thank you Sir, for confirming I'm not completely nuts (or there are at least two of us). :)

Nha, I also think they might help a lot. I read an interesting forum (in Italian) of a guy who tried to make something quite similar to the BR and posted the final product on the forum itself with explanations on how to build it. Well, everybody who tried it admitted they helped...from quite a lot to amaing results...

Will try myself when all the rest of equipment will be in place :)

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I have a feeling that something like this under equipment might have the same effect at a fraction of the cost http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anti-Vibration-Damper-Pad-Noise-Destructor-V1-1-/200715253606?pt=Computing_ComputerComponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR&hash=item2ebb8fb766#ht_2794wt_1166

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
MattSPL said:
I have a feeling that something like this under equipment might have the same effect at a fraction of the cost http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anti-Vibration-Damper-Pad-Noise-Destructor-V1-1-/200715253606?pt=Computing_ComputerComponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR&hash=item2ebb8fb766#ht_2794wt_1166

Mmm, it seems quite soft...I guess won't be that useful under a 35Kg amplifier...

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
acalex said:
MattSPL said:

Mmm, it seems quite soft...I guess won't be that useful under a 35Kg amplifier...
You might be right. These could do the trick http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIR-CONDITIONING-CONDENSER-ANTI-VIBRATION-PADS-VIBRATE-/310207690391?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item4839d1b697#ht_3115wt_1166

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
MattSPL said:

i'm glad they include photos. when i read it reduced the sound of your pump, i thought they meant something else.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Craig M. said:
MattSPL said:

i'm glad they include photos. when i read it reduced the sound of your pump, i thought they meant something else.

:rofl:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
THESTIG08 said:
All my gear is on glass so i found adding the black ravioli made a huge difference to the sound, unfortunatly weighing up the cost of it compared to other isolation products i could'nt part with that kind of cash, i have 4 semi firm black sorbothane strips under my stuff which cost me nothing and i get very good results from that.. the brightness was eliminated instantly, soundstage also improved..

Brilliant! I see you started a thread on it: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/accessories/audioquests-sorbogel-q-feet-black-ravioli

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Reminds me of the 'Flux Dumper' idea . . . was it 'HiFi News & RR' that put these out in the 80's, two heavy blocks, one placed on top of each speaker. Certainly changed the sound, better or worse??

Reading the web page blurb for BR . . . its very vague? . . . as 'black arts' often are . . . been there, done that 8)

I'm certainly not putting them down, but a few bean bag/rice bag (fine pulses) type weights, strategically placed, may??? have an effect?

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I find this all very strange, BR works . . . that seems to be for those who have actualy tried it? . . . but the price is a joke, how much!!!!? And yet you will accept that speaker cable at £50 to £300pm is OK . . . there is something not right with hifi enthusiasts???

CJSF

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CJSF said:
I find this all very strange, BR works . . . that seems to be for those who have actualy tried it? . . . but the price is a joke, how much!!!!? And yet you will accept that speaker cable at £50 to £300pm is OK . . . there is something not right with hifi enthusiasts???

CJSF

You of all people should know the often surprising effects these things can have. How do you put a value on what you hear? .....problematical at best. As you rightly say, comments are meaningless and speculative, until the product is actually heard.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
CJSF said:

CJSF

You of all people should know the often surprising effects these things can have. How do you put a value on what you hear? .....problematical at best. As you rightly say, comments are meaningless and speculative, until the product is actually heard.

How right you are Cno, only the ears can be the judge of a products worthiness. The bank balance is the regulator of the purchase. But I hear the 'laughter of those who have not tried' . . . ??? I have been the butt of such ridicule.

However, I do see the 'what can we charge? . . . be vague, its a black art' creeping in, cables and damping/isolation, areas I have first-hand experience and practical knowledge of.

Its simple, 'you pays your money and takes your choice' . . . a familiar quote . . . Personally, I look at all areas, generally take the budget route, price forces this in some instances, but as a tweaker I enjoy the challenge, 'biggest bang for the smallest buck', thats a fact of 'my' life . . . :rofl:

CJSF

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
CnoEvil said:
CJSF said:

CJSF

How right you are Cno, only the ears can be the judge of a products worthiness. The bank balance is the regulator of the purchase. But I hear the 'laughter of those who have not tried' . . . ??? I have been the butt of such ridicule.

However, I do see the 'what can we charge? . . . be vague, its a black art' creeping in, cables and damping/isolation, areas I have first-hand experience and practical knowledge of.

Its simple, 'you pays your money and takes your choice' . . . a familiar quote . . . Personally, I look at all areas, generally take the budget route, price forces this in some instances, but as a tweaker I enjoy the challenge, 'biggest bang for the smallest buck', thats a fact of 'my' life . . . :rofl:

CJSF

i'm laughing alright, as well as shaking my head. claiming that this product will somehow effect a laptop used as a server! it's bull of the highest order, preying on the gullible/paranoid/desperate. just stop and think about it. how can this effect a laptop? you could mount a computer on top of a pneumatic drill, and as long as the hdd could still function, the pc would not work any differently. the data coming out of it and moving around it would not change in the slightest, until it was literally shaken to pieces.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Craig M. said:
CJSF said:
CnoEvil said:
CJSF said:

CJSF

CJSF

i'm laughing alright, as well as shaking my head. claiming that this product will somehow effect a laptop used as a server! it's bull of the highest order, preying on the gullible/paranoid/desperate. just stop and think about it. how can this effect a laptop? you could mount a computer on top of a pneumatic drill, and as long as the hdd could still function, the pc would not work any differently. the data coming out of it and moving around it would not change in the slightest, until it was literally shaken to pieces.

I'm not fighting anyone’s corner here . . . I would even go as far as thinking; 'effect a laptop':? ? . . . However, have you tried them Craig . . . ? Until you have, you are not entitled to put it down, take the middle ground by all means . . . There are a happy band of users out there, they can’t all be wrong? . . . :read:

In these vague 'black art' areas however, the manufacturer has to be prepared to put their money where their mouth is, with 'sale or return' or a meaningful demonstration. I always did this in my day, resulted in a sale 80% of the time, so my dealers told me. The other 20% . . . ? it was like trying to sell a life ring to drowning man :help:

I take the 'sceptical view over prices', it is a personal view . . . and applies to various hifi offerings, I am not singling out any one product, 'you pays your money . . . or do the other thing'?

CJSF

iceman16

Ok just to share my experience with br pads and spacers.When I put the pads with spacers under cdp feet I did'nt hear much difference. Then put them directly under cdp bypassing the feet and the magic started!Wider soundstage,more defined mids and highs but less edgy(tamed a bit of the brightness). I put another 4 under power amp and 3 on the hicap and same result as the cdp but more on everything but the bass just overwhelmed. So I removed 1 from the power amp just to make them 3 in a triangle position and it sounded more balance. Now under the pre amp,the smile on my face is gone cause everything just collapsed!I don't know why but the sound was ruined.So I moved them from the pre to the napsc and everything comes back to life!IMO the black ravioli won't work in every system components like mine.So a home demo is a must before parting your cash.BTW I only paid £15 each from my local dealer as ex display:bounce:

idc

The_Lhc is right (as in correct, not to the right :) )

Just because a group of people believe something is true does not make it true. Otherwsie UFOs and Bigfoot are true. To show something is true requires testing and evidence. Otherwise what we have is the big missing link in many of the claims about hifi, no consistent and inherant effect on sound quality by the product under discussion.

The makers of Black Ravioli fail, just like much of the audiophile industry to submit their products for independent rigourous scientific testing. All they can do is suggest a link and hope others also hear what they suggest.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts