What does crossover do?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey

I know the basic as to 80hx is THX and starts what the main speakers cant do.

I have diamond 9.1 and alumni rear, would lowering or raising the crossover affect boomyness in the subwoofer, or does it not work like that.

Or is the only thing that would stop the boom is sub postion?

Nice 1

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As long as your levels are balanced, it really is down to the sub placement - think of it as a speaker, albeit one that is more limited in the frequency range it is producing. Because it uses low frequencies, it's placement in relation to the wall will affect it's performance.

You could try placing a concrete slab underneath it, which will tighten up the bass, especially if you have a suspended wooden floor.

A

Anonymous

Nah its on carpet and underneath is cement, its quite a solid ground.

I think I am going to have to try move it tonight and see what I can come up with.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
canada16:
Nah its on carpet and underneath is cement, its quite a solid ground.

I think I am going to have to try move it tonight and see what I can come up with.

I have mine in the corner of the room facing my front right speaker (about 3m from it). I don't get boomy bass at all. Very deep, tight bass and it does sound like yours is not in the ideal position. I would raise your crossover to 100hz though.

A

Anonymous

I really dont want to put it on the party wall, but if I have to then I have no option.

Does this crawl test really work? Put my sub on the sofa were I listen then crawl around, and werever the best bass is, thats were the subwoofer goes?

A

Anonymous

The 100hz seems to be a lot better, but I am getting a tiny bit of directionality, but leave it for now, until it has run in for a few more days.

Thanks so much

Also is it me or my sub, but is there a hole in the bottom with like a rubber stopper in it?

A

Anonymous

canada16:

Also is it me or my sub, but is there a hole in the bottom with like a rubber stopper in it?

Sorry to quote myself, but I am curious on what this hole is at the bottom, Anyone know?

Cheers, oh and buying 2012 steelbook for reference today so will see whats what, but the 100hz is a lot better than 80hz

A

Anonymous

Not sure?

Its a small hole that has a rubber stopper in it which it in the middle bottom and its about a 10 pence piece

A

Anonymous

canada16:
I really dont want to put it on the party wall, but if I have to then I have no option.

Does this crawl test really work? Put my sub on the sofa were I listen then crawl around, and werever the best bass is, thats were the subwoofer goes?

This test really does work.
I'd suspect that a large part of the boominess you've got is down to postioning. The sub is driving the room and your seating position could be in a node point.

Once you have the basic postioning sorted out, then you can play with both the crossover and phase to fine tune it.

Edit: remember that you will get a 3dB lift for each boundary you place it against. Standard 3dB from the floor, another 3dB from a wall, and a further 3dB from being in a corner.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I read a twist on that test suggesting you could do it before you even got the subwoofer, by getting 'a friend with a deep voice' to stand in various positions in the room and speak, and then judging where the voice sounds most natural.

A

Anonymous

That would work, at least it'd give you a good starting point.

Now all we need is James Earl Jones' telephone number :-D

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know what that small hole is in the bottom with the rubber stopper? Whats it for? what does it do? Thanks Will do the crawl test tonight.

A

Anonymous

canada16:Does anyone know what that small hole is in the bottom with the rubber stopper? Whats it for? what does it do? Thanks Will do the crawl test tonight.

It's not a port tube, the sub is a closed-box design. There's nothing in the manual either.

We need an MA dealer. Never one around when you need one!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Gary Mardell:It's not a port tube, the sub is a closed-box design. There's nothing in the manual either.

We need an MA dealer. Never one around when you need one!

Ah right, think I'd lost track of which sub was being used in the mix'n'match system: it was fairly early, and brain-fade suggested to me he had the Wharfedale sub.
emotion-10.gif

A

Anonymous

Ok

Called SMC instals and they advised becuase the sub is behind you on the rear, the phase needs to be set to 180 not 0 and that might help the boom, they also advised at least a month to break sub in, and they are firm belivers in this they said.

Also the hole is a service thing, and nothing more.

Very nice guys were I bought it from would buy from them again thats for sure

A

Anonymous

canada16:

Called SMC instals and they advised becuase the sub is behind you on the rear, the phase needs to be set to 180 not 0 and that might help the boom

I'd start by getting the fundamental position right first, using the 0ø position. Then play with the phase to see if that makes a difference.

It's the relative distance from the seating position of both the front channels and the sub that is affected by the phase control, not necessarily whether the sub is behind you or not.

Just change one thing at a time, that way you'll be able to identify the affect of each variable.

A

Anonymous

Gary Mardell:canada16:

Called SMC instals and they advised becuase the sub is behind you on the rear, the phase needs to be set to 180 not 0 and that might help the boom

I'd start by getting the fundamental position right first, using the 0ø position. Then play with the phase to see if that makes a difference. It's the relative distance from the seating position of both the front channels and the sub that is affected by the phase control, not necessarily whether the sub is behind you or not. Just change one thing at a time, that way you'll be able to identify the affect of each variable.

My sub is beside me about 1 meter away beside the sofa.

So should the phase be 0 or 180, its pretty much under the rear speaker

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd start with 0 in that position, but also have a listen with it set to 180. But that does seem very close for a sub - are you sure there's nowhere else it can be placed?

TRENDING THREADS