Right speaker cuts of randomly

Azulan

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
Hey.

My right speaker sometimes randomly cuts of and comes back on. i've had this happen 2 times now and both times i was listening to vinyl records. first time it happened i tried switching to AUX channel to see if it continued on spotify and it did. I then turned power off and pulled my reciever out so i can swap speakers input to find out whether the reciever or speaker was faulty. well every time i pull out my reciever from it's shelf the sound gets magically fixed and i cant diagnose the problem.
every time i put my reciever in it's place i do it with care so that no wire get stuck or clamped anywhere.

Here's my cable mess, my speaker cables are extended. behind the cover where my cables go looks like a spider web :)

i cant diagnose the problem by swapping speakers channels since the problem is rare as SEEM to stop when i pull out my reciever. only thing i can think of is all my cables crammed together which sounds silly to me but what do i know.
I'm going to keep my reciever on the floor and listen to a few records. that's the only thing i can do to diagnose.
If you guys have any tips or knowledge about this it would be helpfull.

All the stuff i use is in my signature.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG20230930161820.jpg
    IMG20230930161820.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG20230930160730.jpg
    IMG20230930160730.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG20230930160734.jpg
    IMG20230930160734.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 14

Azulan

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
Why the insulation tape? Have you spliced another bit of speaker cable on to the main cable?
Get some new speaker cables would be my suggest it's unlikely to be the receiver.
yes they are spliced because the speakers seem to be glued/nailed together. i dont know how to open the back.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Hey.

My right speaker sometimes randomly cuts of and comes back on. i've had this happen 2 times now and both times i was listening to vinyl records. first time it happened i tried switching to AUX channel to see if it continued on spotify and it did. I then turned power off and pulled my reciever out so i can swap speakers input to find out whether the reciever or speaker was faulty. well every time i pull out my reciever from it's shelf the sound gets magically fixed and i cant diagnose the problem.
every time i put my reciever in it's place i do it with care so that no wire get stuck or clamped anywhere.

Here's my cable mess, my speaker cables are extended. behind the cover where my cables go looks like a spider web :)

i cant diagnose the problem by swapping speakers channels since the problem is rare as SEEM to stop when i pull out my reciever. only thing i can think of is all my cables crammed together which sounds silly to me but what do i know.
I'm going to keep my reciever on the floor and listen to a few records. that's the only thing i can do to diagnose.

All the stuff i use is in my signature.

Thanks!
Could be a faulty wire., where the inner has broken through and loses its ability to convey the voltage sometimes perhaps. It could be intermittently connecting and disconnecting.

Reactions: Azulan

Gray

The wire joins don't look great, but I reckon your intermittency might be in the receiver itself.
Specifically, contamination in one (or more) of the many switch and rotary contacts that the signal has to pass through.

An example is those black push buttons to the right of the tuning dial.
Looks like a layer of dust on the top of the buttons - when dust gets in switch contacts, you get crackles / intermittency.
Being a 'tape monitor' switch means that all of your sources go through it - so any problem there effects everything.

As you suggested, you need to get the receiver out into a position where you can reliably test it to isolate the problem - otherwise you'll just be constantly be guessing.

Azulan

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
Does the receiver have plenty ventilation around it, as if not it may be overheating and shutting down. (With it out the cabinet air flow is restored)

Bill
i feel like it should have enough ventilation all the ventilation holes are on the top and as you can see on the picture there\s plenty of room above it while it's inside the cabinet. The height of the reciever is less than half of that of a record cover

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
The wire joins don't look great, but I reckon your intermittency might be in the receiver itself.
Specifically, contamination in one (or more) of the many switch and rotary contacts that the signal has to pass through.

An example is those black push buttons to the right of the tuning dial.
Looks like a layer of dust on the top of the buttons - when dust gets in switch contacts, you get crackles / intermittency.
Being a 'tape monitor' switch means that all of your sources go through it - so any problem there effects everything.

As you suggested, you need to get the receiver out into a position where you can reliably test it to isolate the problem - otherwise you'll just be constantly be guessing.

I had a 2007 Marantz integrated amplifier. By 2023 I noticed that the "source direct" button would cut one channel off very occasionally. Luckily for me, I just switched it on and off a few times and that cured it.

do you mean you switch the source direct button on and of or the recievers power?
He means the source/direct button, but you don’t have one, so the point is all the switches on a 40+ year old receiver could easily be the source of an intermittent channel.

Unplug the mains, and turn all the switches to and fro, up and down, in and out as appropriate. Then plug in and see if it’s better. But it really needs a good service I expect, as there could easily be failing components.

Azulan

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the information. i've been listening with my reciever on the floor now for maybe 6-8 hours without any issues. i think it's still too soon to make any judgement but maybe overheating could be a possibility. putting my hand on the recievers air vent i'd say the air coming out is over the 30C which i feel is a bit warm. i mean my gaming pc blows out the same heat while gaming.
I can't really remember how warm it's been while in it's cabinet but i think a little bit warmer than now.

Reactions: JDL and Gray

Gray

Thanks everyone for the information. i've been listening with my reciever on the floor now for maybe 6-8 hours without any issues. i think it's still too soon to make any judgement but maybe overheating could be a possibility. putting my hand on the recievers air vent i'd say the air coming out is over the 30C which i feel is a bit warm. i mean my gaming pc blows out the same heat while gaming.
I can't really remember how warm it's been while in it's cabinet but i think a little bit warmer than now.
Good ventilation never hurts.
But the fact that you're intermittently losing one channel, suggests that a service would cure the problem.

(If you can get it to Essex I'll do it for you....last person I said that to was in Italy 🙂).

Azulan

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
Good ventilation never hurts.
But the fact that you're intermittently losing one channel, suggests that a service would cure the problem.

(If you can get it to Essex I'll do it for you....last person I said that to was in Italy 🙂).
haha!
Yes i agree a good cleanup/service would do good. i've been meaning to do it anyways since the headphone jack needs taking a look at but there's literally no place near me that does these things.
I'm actually tempted shipping it over seas to you :D

Reactions: Gray

Azulan

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
Good news!...well i wouldn't say good but i found the problem. i started getting interruptions in my right speaker again while the receiver was on the floor. i swapped speaker channels, right speaker to left channel and after 15 minutes the interruption started in my left speaker. this means it's not my breath taking splicing job that caused the issue but the right channel on the receiver itself.
i got a written 1 month warranty on a legitimate receipt on the receiver when i bought but the guy is an old man that smelled like booze. he offered me to change the socket plug since the old one it had wouldn't fit modern sockets. it took him 2 tries for him to do it right and i mean this guy's workshop was impressive. and i have no doubt he didn't know his stuff. i just think handing it over to him to look/fix it is a bit worrying and could maybe even make it worse :D.

My question is...
How much could something like this cost to fix at the worst case?
if it's cheap i'd bring it elsewhere but if it can get pricey i could demand a fix from the old guy who sold it to me.

would blowing air duster into the channels make any difference?

Gray

....but the guy is an old man that smelled like booze
😆 I like that.

Air duster can blow surface dust off of components and heatsinks, which would be no bad thing.

But a can of this would be more beneficial - and very likely be all you need to cure your problem:
IMG_20231003_164651_MP.jpg

The plastic tube allows you to reach the necessary places.
Isolate the receiver from the mains, open it up and give a blast inside every switch and rotary control - after each blast, switch and turn everything fully up and down a few times.

You can pretty much guarantee this will be one of the cans in the boozy man's workshop 🙂

Reactions: WayneKerr

Azulan

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
😆 I like that.

Air duster can blow surface dust off of components and heatsinks, which would be no bad thing.

But a can of this would be more beneficial - and very likely be all you need to cure your problem:
View attachment 5352

Isolate the receiver from the mains, open it up and give a blast inside every switch and rotary control - after each blast, switch and turn everything fully up and down a few times.

You can pretty much guarantee this will be one of the cans in the boozy man's workshop 🙂
thx for the tip i'll do that

Reactions: Gray

Azulan

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
😆 I like that.

View attachment 5352

is this the same as an electronic cleaner?
😆 I like that.

View attachment 5352

there seems to be a variety of different names and types of electronic cleaners. does it specifically have to be "cleaning lubricant". there's some that advertise it removes grease.?

aversaurus

It will be a capacitor in the receiver it's self at some point it will fail all together.thre capacitor is failing to hold its charge and dropping out randomly.when you switch it off it resets until it can't hold the charge again and you loose the channel.get the receiver checked

Gray

is this the same as an electronic cleaner?

there seems to be a variety of different names and types of electronic cleaners. does it specifically have to be "cleaning lubricant". there's some that advertise it removes grease.?
Contact cleaner / lubricant is what you need.
I can recommend the 'Super 10', I've been using it for years.

Azulan

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
Hey again!
so i found an electronics repair shop 20 min away from me, they had my receiver for almost 2 weeks. i had direct contact to the dude doing the repairs. of the bat he couldn't find anything wrong with it. everything seemed to work normally and all components seemed fine. He decided to use my receiver to listen to radio while he works on other jobs so that he could in person hear anything abnormal and diagnose the problem. He used my receiver daily for 6 days and he never had any issues. after almost 2 weeks i thought "that's enough. if he hasn't heard the problem now, he will never". I asked him to do a cleanup of the knobs and buttons anyway just in case and he said he wouldn't advise it now when there's nothing wrong with it. we agreed that i take it home and if the problem arises again i'll bring it back and he'll clean it.
Well i got home and plugged everything in and put on some vinyl. after 5 minutes the right speaker died again. what i reacted to was the fact that i had moments earlier pressed the Loudness button. i pressed it again and the speaker came back on. i pressed it on and off a few times and eventually the right speaker was permanently dead. I turned power off and clicked every black button repeatedly to clear them from dirt.
After turning it back on i haven't had any issues (10 hours listening time).

This got a bit long and the thing i am actually clueless about comes now...
My receiver and speakers are against the wall. My bathroom is on the other side of the wall with a tube light. every time i switch my bathroom light off i hear a puff in my speakers. I got paranoid and started to use my bathroom with lights turned off while my receiver is on just in case the light is what turns my speaker off randomly. Is this a possibility? I know electricity can interfere wirelessly as having my phone close to the receiver makes it go crazy.

If my "bathroom" theory is nonsense i'll bring my receiver back for a cleanup if i get the issue again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts