What cables?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Reijer said:
I'm convinced that cables do differ. I once tested it in a very simple way and I detected differences. Also give my wife a blind test and she could hear differences between the two.

Should take an osciloscope from school or an multimeter and test it again but the disbelivers are unteachable. And if someone else don't believe that cables do differ, why should I bother to convince him/her.....

If u would choose an oscilloscope OR a multimeter then u ain't the one to understand scientific measurements. Stick to your wife's unreliable proof - tho we often meet similar wives here and I am sure your simple test was based on solid scientific principles.

It is possible to prove existence but not non-existence. eg fairies, UFOs, LocNess monsters. Only needs one proof but there never has been.

If I play a 1kHz tone and measure with a multimeter the amount of volts that is passing the speakerterminals (how much the speakers are draining from the amp) I can measure the difference between two or more cables. How scientific do you want to have it.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
God cannot exist because of Eric, the God eating magic penguin.

Since Eric is God-Eating by definition, he has no choice but to eat God. So, if God exists, He automatically ceases to exist as a result of being eaten. Unless you can prove that Eric doesn’t exist, God doesn’t exist.

However, the existence of Eric is predicated on the ability of God to be eaten. If God cannot be eaten (and being omnipotent he surely cannot be), then Eric has no meaning. Therefore God can exist.

OTOH, if God is truly omnipotent, he must be capable of creating Eric the God-eating magic penguin. In which case God can be eaten.

Nietzsche: God is dead (eaten by Eric).

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
You need come to terms that scientific method and logic have no place on a hifi forum. Rational things like null tests are irrelevant here.

Try not to let it fustrate you. Once you accept that hifi forums are simply a place for hifi fans to talk about magic faries and such like the happier your time here will be.

:D

Veinites! Stop!

FFS, been to the ma-in-laws for a few hours and its gone Pete Tong. Enough.

Let's hark back to my original post. I wasn't asking for advice or whether cables make a difference. All I asked was whether anyone had heard Van den Hul Clearwater speaker cable or not.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Veinites! Stop!

Let's hark back to my original post. I wasn't asking for advice or whether cables make a difference. All I asked was whether anyone had heard Van den Hul Clearwater speaker cable or not.

I tried to tell 'em PP, but they wouldn't listen..

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Veinites! Stop!

Ehh.... no. Sorry.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Sorry Reijer

"If I play a 1kHz tone and measure with a multimeter the amount of volts that is passing the speakerterminals (how much the speakers are draining from the amp) I can measure the difference between two or more cables. How scientific do you want to have it. "

That is nonsense. I don't wish to be rude but someone else may wish to explain.

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Why is that nonsence? If I can measure a difference, can I hear it to? What does the speaker do with the extra (of lesser) amounts of volts? Can I hear it?

Do cables differ and how can it be measure? This is not 'the' way, but it's one way of testing it, apart from your ears.

Reijer said:
Why is that nonsence? If I can measure a difference, can I hear it to? What does the speaker do with the extra (of lesser) amounts of volts? Can I hear it?

Do cables differ and how can it be measure? This is not 'the' way, but it's one way of testing it, apart from your ears.

I'm going to rely on my ears. Nuts to measurements. If I can hear a audible difference I'll buy them. If I can't, I'll say 'thanks very much, retailer'.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I replaced some old, fairly thin, white jacketed cables that were a PITA because they were so rigid. Not entirely sure who made them (possibly QED) but eventually - after 4 years - they had to go in favour of something with thicker copper that was far more flexible.

'Installing' the new Van Damme UP LC-OFC 4mm cables was a doddle. They drape really nicely and tuck right into corners very neatly (impossible with the old cables). What with their pliability and transparent insulation they are now barely visible.

The sound was definitely better afterwards especially with more, and better defined, bass. (I was careful to leave the volume control at exactly the same setting before and after switching the cable.) I am not suprised. The cross sectional area of copper conductor is about quadruple what the old cable had.

A 2m length and a 2.5m length (with soldered banana plugs on all ends) cost me fifty quid in total. (It would have been about thirty without the plugs and soldering if you prefer bare conductors.) Someone else - earlier in the thread - found somewhere you can buy the cables even cheaper.

Obviously it's not the kind of 'boutique' brand you can demo against others in a hi-fi shop, but it's cheap enough to get some in to compare at home and either return or sell on ebay for a minimal loss afterwards. I'm confident you'll like it and I am also confident it will at least match the boutique stuff for far less money.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
Gazzip said:

Since Eric is God-Eating by definition, he has no choice but to eat God. So, if God exists, He automatically ceases to exist as a result of being eaten. Unless you can prove that Eric doesn’t exist, God doesn’t exist.

However, the existence of Eric is predicated on the ability of God to be eaten. If God cannot be eaten (and being omnipotent he surely cannot be), then Eric has no meaning. Therefore God can exist.

OTOH, if God is truly omnipotent, he must be capable of creating Eric the God-eating magic penguin. In which case God can be eaten.

Of course God exists.

And Eric too, as God created him.

But then God got scared. Hence he invented 'climate change'. Just to do this. He's cruel from time to time...

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
matt49 said:
Gazzip said:

Of course God exists.

And Eric too, as God created him.

But then God got scared. Hence he invented 'climate change'. Just to do this. He's cruel from time to time...

The cruelist part of all was to give them wings that don't work before landlocking them. That God character could do with a slap.

Going to pick up speaker cables tomorrow (Wednesday). I've cleaned all the terminals and cable ends - the amp connection has banana plugs on - and I'll have it untill the weekend. I'll have the choice of either TQ Blue or Atlas Hyper 2.

I'll report back in a few days...

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Going to pick up speaker cables tomorrow (Wednesday). I've cleaned all the terminals and cable ends - the amp connection has banana plugs on - and I'll have it untill the weekend. I'll have the choice of either TQ Blue or Atlas Hyper 2.

I'll report back in a few days...

I have previously had both the TQ black and the Atlas Hyper 3.5 in my system, so not the same products but both of their respective family. I liked each for different reasons with the Atlas being more refined and the TQ having a bit more zing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts