What cables?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

TrevC

Freddy58 said:
Gazzip said:
It is scientific "fact" that different lengths/gauges of cable can distort a signal causing loudspeakers to produce a "different" sound.

Really? Could you point me in the right direction please?

He made that up. If you use thin stuff, the ubiquitous bell wire for example, you will be able to hear what a valve amp will sound like on your speakers. The distortion will remain low but you will get the glorious valve sound that messes with the frequency response in line with the impedance curve of your speakers.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
It seems sensible to me to use cables that offer up the least possible resistance (within reason), but I can't get over the fact that they use that piddly wire inside speakers...

Small distance + piddly wire = Low resistance

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Freddy58 said:
It seems sensible to me to use cables that offer up the least possible resistance (within reason), but I can't get over the fact that they use that piddly wire inside speakers...

Don't you though find it curious that speaker manufacturers choose to put piddly cables in their boxes?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Gazzip said:
Freddy58 said:

Don't you though find it curious that speaker manufacturers choose to put piddly cables in their boxes?

Not really because their design assumes that some numpty is not supplying their loudspeakers with bell wire. If the owner has used correctly sized and gauged cables then the 15cm of piddly wire inside the speaker will not make any real resistive difference. Likewise if the owner has used 20m of bell wire to feed their speakers then 15cm of heavy gauged wire inside the speaker isn't going to fix the problem.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Gazzip said:
Freddy58 said:

1) You can't solder 4mm copper litz cable to a standard PCB or direct point to point wiring. Even when crimped and just plugged in 4mm is huge and puts a strain to fragile posts and may damaged them during shipping.

2) The copper wire in the voice coil is thinner and much much longer. How many meters of paper thin copper traces run inside a CDP, amp and crossover. The inside wiring between drivers and crossover is just a drop in the ocean.

Thompsonuxb said:
plastic penguin said:
Is this one of the most civilised cable threads of all time? Hope it stays that way.

Lol.......

I'll say this again.

I guarantee of I snuk into your homes and swapped out your cables without your knowledge......

(pause for dramatic affect.........)

You would all notice. Some more than others - you'd not be able to put your finger on it.....but you'd know something's changed.....

No chance. I've been living here 13 years and I still have trouble finding it. We ordered a takeaway Pizza last night and the driver had to phone us and ask for directions.

Next...

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Is this one of the most civilised cable threads of all time? Hope it stays that way.

Lol.......

I'll say this again.

I guarantee if I snuk into your homes and swapped out your cables without your knowledge......

You would all notice. Some more than others - you'd not be able to put your finger on it.....but you'd know something's changed.....

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
plastic penguin said:

Lol.......

I'll say this again.

I guarantee if I snuk into your homes and swapped out your cables without your knowledge......

yep. The missing bright green XLR cables would be a dead giveaway. They practically glow in the dark, so they're pretty hard to miss.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
ID. said:
Thompsonuxb said:
plastic penguin said:

Lol.......

I'll say this again.

?

yep. The missing bright green XLR cables would be a dead giveaway. They practically glow in the dark, so they're pretty hard to miss. 

No actually......

Take it the cables are not visible, so there'd be no expectation bias or any of that psycho malarkey - you'd all notice the difference......

abacus

Thompsonuxb said:
ID. said:
Thompsonuxb said:
plastic penguin said:

Lol.......

I'll say this again.

No actually......

Take it the cables are not visible, so there'd be no expectation bias or any of that psycho malarkey - you'd all notice the difference......

NO, You only think you would

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
No chance. I've been living here 13 years and I still have trouble finding it. We ordered a takeaway Pizza last night and the driver had to phone us and ask for directions.

Pizza delivery drivers would need directions for the flat above the Pizza shop.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
abacus said:
Thompsonuxb said:
ID. said:
Thompsonuxb said:
plastic penguin said:

Lol.......

I'll say this again.

?

yep. The missing bright green XLR cables would be a dead giveaway. They practically glow in the dark, so they're pretty hard to miss.?

No actually......

NO, You only think you would

Sadly there is no real way to prove it but I'd put money on it.........

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Been giving this a bit of thought. If there are differences between cables, then surely there would be audible (even if we can't hear them) differences that could be measured by way of some electronic gizmo hooked up to a mic?

Sorry PP, don't mean to hi-Jack your thread.
thumbs_up.gif

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Been giving this a bit of thought. If there are differences between cables, then surely there would be audible (even if we can't hear them) differences that could be measured by way of some electronic gizmo hooked up to a mic?

I have often pondered this one myself and wondered if measurements have ever been taken like this in an anechoic chamber. Anybody know?

TrevC

Gazzip said:
Freddy58 said:

I have often pondered this one myself and wondered if measurements have ever been taken like this in an anechoic chamber. Anybody know?

Nobody has because it's pointless?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
TrevC said:
Gazzip said:
Freddy58 said:

Because it's pointless?

You're having a laugh aren't you? It would prove one way or another whether or not there are differences.

TrevC

Freddy58 said:
TrevC said:
Gazzip said:
Freddy58 said:

Because it's pointless?

You're having a laugh aren't you? It would prove one way or another that there are differences.

You don't need a mic and an anechoic chamber, you can just compare the signal at the end of the cables. A null test, signal wire to signal wire.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
TrevC said:
Freddy58 said:
TrevC said:
Gazzip said:
Freddy58 said:

Because it's pointless?

You're having a laugh aren't you? It would prove one way or another that there are differences.

You don't need a mic and an anechoic chamber, you can just compare the signal at the end of the cables. A null test, signal wire to signal wire.

Ok, so what have your null tests revealed?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts