What cables?

Okay... I'm slightly skeptical of cables per se. However, I've had my SilverScreen since about 2008 and looking to joosh up the sound a little.

I'm looking at perhaps Van den Hul The Clearwater that comes with good reviews. Has anyone heard this cable? Or can anyone recommend a better cable than the Chord to suit my system? Ah, I don't want to spend a fortune either - probably no more than £15 per mtr.

Ta, PP

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Okay... I'm slightly skeptical of cables per se. However, I've had my SilverScreen since about 2008 and looking to joosh up the sound a little.

I'm looking at perhaps Van den Hul The Clearwater that comes with good reviews. Has anyone heard this cable? Or can anyone recommend a better cable than the Chord to suit my system? Ah, I don't want to spend a fortune either - probably no more than £15 per mtr.

Ta, PP

If you mean speaker cables, then I can heartily recommend Van Damme UP LC-OFC 4mm at £6.28 per metre. (Extra for soldered terminations.)

http://www.a1-sound.co.uk/product/van-damme-hifi-series-speaker-cable-2-x-4mm

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
What is 'jooshing up'?

If you mean more detail then a silver plated good cable such as the Clearwater is a good bet. It uses Hulliflex insulation which I am not sure exactly what it is. As long as its not PVC but closer to Ptfe it should be good. Good feedback on this one.

Others I would consider are QED's higher end ones (with silver plating).

TrevC

drummerman said:
What is 'jooshing up'?

If you mean more detail then a silver plated good cable such as the Clearwater is a good bet. It uses Hulliflex insulation which I am not sure exactly what it is. As long as its not PVC but closer to Ptfe it should be good. Good feedback on this one.

The ones to use are those with low resistance of normal contruction, as many strands as possible and 6mm or so. Ebay is your friend.

drummerman said:
What is 'jooshing up'?

Means to 'primp' something. A few months ago I purchased some leather conditioner and 'jooshed' my car seats up.

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

Ta, PP

If you mean speaker cables, then I can heartily recommend Van Damme UP LC-OFC 4mm at £6.28 per metre. (Extra for soldered terminations.)

http://www.a1-sound.co.uk/product/van-damme-hifi-series-speaker-cable-2-x-4mm

Cheers. Yeah, your experience did spring to mind. I'll look into it.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My suggestion would be Atlas Hyper 2

http://www.futureshop.co.uk/atlas-hyper-20-speaker-cable-p-2044.html#.Vr3fB6NYCSO

WHF rate it as a step up, if this makes a difference to your thinking.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey PP, im just about to update my chord silverscreen as well, and im going for van den hul 6mm off ebay...they do what look loke veey thorough terminations too. I'll try and find the name of the seller. So if you wait a week or two and can give you an opinion, otherwise we can just compare notes later .

robinkiddy

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
What is 'jooshing up'?

Great to see a cable manufacturer developing a unique plastic - Hulliflex - for its cables. The plastics manufacturing plant would be an interest as would detailed physical & electrical properties. I guess no there plastic is suitable to insulate cable.

robinkiddy

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
The advantages of HULLIFLEX ® are obvious:

1. From a chemical viewpoint, to pollutants this insulation material is as closed as fort Knox. This will work out very positive in tropical conditions with high humidity and/or high pollution- levels. Also in typical sea-climate conditions (like close to shores with high humidity saturated with salt) a better protection is strictly necessary.

2. The flexibility does not change under the influence of ozone or ultraviolet light or penetration of other chemicals (see point 1).

3. The surface acceptance for-, or penetration by contact-dirt is extremely low.

4. The quality/durability curve is expanded by a factor 35 or more.

5. The mechanical strength is tripled compared to PVC.

6. The surface friction is lower and stable compared to PVC.

7. Compared to PVC, the dynamic mechanical damping is greatly improved compared

to PVC. This is especially important in car hi-fi applications where pulsating mechanical vibrations can damage the electrical conductors.

8. The thermal endurance is higher than that of PVC.

9. The basic white HULLIFLEX ® will just accept the air temperature and not the sum

of the air temperature and the radiation temperature. This will work out very positive in tropical climates.

10. The flexibility will not change with higher temperatures.

11. The surface is always very silky and smooth. Production problems with changing surface cosmetics from now on are finished.

12. Cable print problems or removable printing are finished.

13. The mechanical reinforcement of the total product is strongly improved. So the

mechanical load is taken away from the electrical conductors in critical situations.

14. And from the environmental point of view, HULLIFLEX ® is superior to PVC.

The negative aspects of HULLIFLEX ® are very limited:

1. In the beginning there is a somewhat stronger plastic smell than is the case with

PVC. This smell will disappear very soon.

2. The price is 4 x higher compared with PVC. Nevertheless we will not change the

price of our standard products because of the change from PVC to HULLIFLEX ®.

3. De-insulation is somewhat more difficult due to the improved mechanical properties.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:
What is 'jooshing up'?

Means to 'primp' something. A few months ago I purchased some leather conditioner and 'jooshed' my car seats up.

I think you'll find it's spelt zshooosh...

Ask Mickey Flanagan, he'll know.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean by "joshing up"?

If you mean to change the sound then you'll be wasting your money on new cables. If you mean adding a bit of visual bling then yeah new cables can help.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
robinkiddy said:

(...)

2. The price is 4 x higher compared with PVC. Nevertheless we will not change the

(...)

Goes to show what the impact of the components is, for the total price (PVC to Hulliflex: 0.002 to 0.008% -- imaginary example).

Take home message: you can use Hulliflex for car engines and in the chemical industry, where it can prove its worth...

abacus

plastic penguin said:

Ta, PP

Unless there faulty or you want a different look then stay with what you have as changing them will make no difference. (Except in the minds of the gullible, hence the reason why 99.9% of the world class most Hi Fi Nuts as a complete joke)

Hope this helps

Bill

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
abacus said:
plastic penguin said:

Ta, PP

Unless there faulty or you want a different look then stay with what you have as changing them will make no difference. (Except in the minds of the gullible, hence the reason why 99.9% of the world class most Hi Fi Nuts as a complete joke)

Hope this helps

Bill

Wrong. Science is clear that changing the length, core diameter, material, or a combination of any of these can alter the resistance of the cable which can in turn change the loudspeakers frequency response and as a result the sound.

So changing your speaker cables can make a sonic diference if your idea of "jooshing up" is effecting the neutrality of your loudspeakers by deliberately altering the FR. Some people might seriously prefer the sound they get by using long lengths of high resistance cable instead of the sound made by the original signal as delivered by correctly gauged copper cable. Although they could save themselves considerable expense by just fitting series resistors to their existing cables instead of "upgrading" if this is the case.

P.S. I actually like the sound that my loudspeakers make while using Atlas Hyper 3.5 over 8m lengths, which is seriously outside of their resistive range. Should I be ashamed of myself?

The_Lhc said:
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:
What is 'jooshing up'?

I think you'll find it's spelt zshooosh...

Ask Mickey Flanagan, he'll know.

It can be spelled many ways. Just ask Plastic Penguin. *biggrin*

TrevC

Gazzip said:
abacus said:
plastic penguin said:

Ta, PP

Hope this helps

Bill

Wrong. Science is clear that changing the length, core diameter, material, or a combination of any of these can alter the resistance of the cable which can in turn change the loudspeakers frequency response and as a result the sound.

So changing your speaker cables can make a sonic diference if your idea of "jooshing up" is effecting the neutrality of your loudspeakers by deliberately altering the FR. Some people might seriously prefer the sound they get by using long lengths of high resistance cable instead of the sound made by the original signal as delivered by correctly gauged copper cable. Although they could save themselves considerable expense by just fitting series resistors to their existing cables instead of "upgrading" if this is the case.

P.S. I actually like the sound that my loudspeakers make while using Atlas Hyper 3.5 over 8m lengths, which is seriously outside of their resistive range. Should I be ashamed of myself?

Use bell wire. That will make the effect (humps in the response) even bigger.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
robinkiddy said:
The advantages of HULLIFLEX ® are obvious:

1. From a chemical viewpoint, to pollutants this insulation material is as closed as fort Knox. This will work out very positive in tropical conditions with high humidity and/or high pollution- levels. Also in typical sea-climate conditions (like close to shores with high humidity saturated with salt) a better protection is strictly necessary.

2. The flexibility does not change under the influence of ozone or ultraviolet light or penetration of other chemicals (see point 1).

3. The surface acceptance for-, or penetration by contact-dirt is extremely low.

4. The quality/durability curve is expanded by a factor 35 or more.

5. The mechanical strength is tripled compared to PVC.

6. The surface friction is lower and stable compared to PVC.

7. Compared to PVC, the dynamic mechanical damping is greatly improved compared

to PVC. This is especially important in car hi-fi applications where pulsating mechanical vibrations can damage the electrical conductors.

8. The thermal endurance is higher than that of PVC.

9. The basic white HULLIFLEX ® will just accept the air temperature and not the sum

of the air temperature and the radiation temperature. This will work out very positive in tropical climates.

10. The flexibility will not change with higher temperatures.

11. The surface is always very silky and smooth. Production problems with changing surface cosmetics from now on are finished.

12. Cable print problems or removable printing are finished.

13. The mechanical reinforcement of the total product is strongly improved. So the

mechanical load is taken away from the electrical conductors in critical situations.

14. And from the environmental point of view, HULLIFLEX ® is superior to PVC.

1. In the beginning there is a somewhat stronger plastic smell than is the case with

PVC. This smell will disappear very soon.

3. De-insulation is somewhat more difficult due to the improved mechanical properties.

I've no idea if any or all of this is true. However, most of it is irrelevant to a hifi application. For example what relevance does the "surface friction" have? Maybe you have to rub it against your skin to feel the benefit? It is the typical "baffle them with science" stuff you get from too many hifi suppliers. It's the old "Let's find some irrelevant scientific fact and put that in the blurb". Similar to skin effect in cables - real effect but irrelevant to hifi.

Chris

PS It was also apparently written by a illiterate 6 year old.
teeth_smile.gif

PPS Given the latest news how long will it be before somebody markets a product to isolate your hifi from gravity waves?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts