Warm airy musical speakers?

Philsons

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I am a newbie to Hifi. Well I have been reading on forums on and off for the last 5 years, but never had any system myself.
I'm a musician myself and have an idea of what type of sound I'm looking for. It is a warm, airy, open and organic sound with good midrange for vocals. Listen to jazz, acoustic music, norah jones, Diana Krall etc..
I don't like a cold and bright type of sound.
I've read alot of sonus faber, venere 1.5/2.0. Could be that kind of speaker I'm looking for?! Also I have read about focal aria 906. Seems to get great reviews.
I live far off any hifi-stores so I thought I will collect some good candidates for listening, when I visit a bigger city.
My budget is around $2000 - $2300 for both speaker and amplifier. New or used doesn't matter. For an amplifier I'm interested in tubes..
All recommendations are welcome!

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
The trouble with these adjectives in hifi is they can be inteprted in different ways. However I'd say B&W are warm, perhaps not airy.

depending on budget I'd strongly suggest you have a look at Harbeth speakers, Also have a look at Spendor.

harbeth partically are very open and natural and excel with female vocal and acoustic music.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Sonus Faber Minima Vintage

Sonus Faber Electa Amator (above budget but epic, the last speaker you will ever buy)

Harbeth P3ESR

ProAc Response One SC (not bright with tube amps)

B&W CM1

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Your choice of speaker will be greatly determined by the Tube amp you get.

Brands I would recommend are: Icon Audio, Unison Research, Jadis, Audio Note, Pure Sound, Ayon, Leben, Mastersound, Ear Yoshino and McIntosh

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I used to have a pair of Sonus Faber Toy bookshelf speakers that sounded very airy and had a gorgeous midrange. They were a bit bass light but I would still rate them. Not sure if you would be happy with a big old box but my K2s sound stunning with well recorded female vocals.

Philsons said:
I am a newbie to Hifi. Well I have been reading on forums on and off for the last 5 years, but never had any system myself.
I'm a musician myself and have an idea of what type of sound I'm looking for. It is a warm, airy, open and organic sound with good midrange for vocals. Listen to jazz, acoustic music, norah jones, Diana Krall etc..
I don't like a cold and bright type of sound.
I've read alot of sonus faber, venere 1.5/2.0. Could be that kind of speaker I'm looking for?! Also I have read about focal aria 906. Seems to get great reviews.
I live far off any hifi-stores so I thought I will collect some good candidates for listening, when I visit a bigger city.
My budget is around $2000 - $2300 for both speaker and amplifier. New or used doesn't matter. For an amplifier I'm interested in tubes..
All recommendations are welcome!

Welcome to the forum.

Mmmm... "Warm and airy" sounds like conflicting adjectives. Generally speaking this is usually determined by amplification, source and room acoustics. Of course there are exceptions but getting the 'right' balance (synergy) should be the priority.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Add to your list Dynaudio Focus 160, Dynaudio are known for neutral sounding and real good with voices and jazz.

They sure have a very soft mid range, pair them with a hybrid amp like Unison Research Unico Nuovo and will not regreat!

I have dynaudio X12 with Pathos Classic One, will upgrade some time my X12 but only for Contour or Confidence range!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Mmmm... "Warm and airy" sounds like conflicting adjectives.

Not necessarily, as "warm" often refers to the bass / mid, while "airy" refers to the treble. This sound "can" be achieved by a variety of Valve amps, which are also dynamic and exciting.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Another vote for Harbeth / Spendor Classic Series, as well as Audio Note, Opera and Sonus Faber.

Nb. Focal are the polar opposide of the above list. They're very clean, detailed and a little forward (though the new Arias are less forward than the rest of the range).

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I also favour the type of sound I think you're looking for: 'Warm, musical but airy'.

I have found after much searching that he way to achieve this (for me at least) is to go for a neutral and accurate sounding speaker and let the tubes give you the warmth and musicality.

I think i've achieved this with my current set-up.

Some dismiss Focal speakers (especially the Beryllium tweetered ones) as being 'too bright'. That's usually because they've been paired with bright sounding SS Amps and the Focals, being accurate and neutral, are just telling it like it is.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

Not necessarily, as "warm" often refers to the bass / mid, while "airy" refers to the treble. This sound "can" be achieved by a variety of Valve amps, which are also dynamic and exciting.

I know - did start by saying the speaker sound is determined by amp and source and room acoustics. Then later stated that synergy between each component is better than doing a Sherlock Holmes and trying to find the OP's 'Holy Grail' of warm and airy.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

I know - did start by saying the speaker sound is determined by amp and source and room acoustics. Then later stated that synergy between each component is better than doing a Sherlock Holmes and trying to find the OP's 'Holy Grail' of warm and airy.

Sorry, my bad, as I often get the wrong end of the stick when knackered.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Add to your list Dynaudio Focus 160, Dynaudio are known for neutral sounding and real good with voices and jazz.

They sure have a very soft mid range, pair them with a hybrid amp like Unison Research Unico Nuovo and will not regreat!

I have dynaudio X12 with Pathos Classic One, will upgrade some time my X12 but only for Contour or Confidence range!

Dynaudios don't have a particulary good midrange and they don't do well with vocals as much as rhytm. Thump thump speakers more than warm and airy.

Wonderfull exception the Dynaudio Esotar tweeter in 90's Sonus Fabers. <3

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

Dynaudios don't have a particulary good midrange and they don't do well with vocals as much as rhytm. Thump thump speakers more than warm and airy.

the strongest that Dynaudio have is their soft mid range, i've heard from DM, Excite, Focus, Contour and confidence range!

And all, with no exception have a realy good mid range and a clarity with vocals!

And if not, explain to me why they are present in 50% of professional studios?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zgVP3ghVm0o

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Vladimir said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

the strongest that Dynaudio have is their soft mid range, i've heard from DM, Excite, Focus, Contour and confidence range!

And all, with no exception have a realy good mid range and a clarity with vocals!

Explain why the best studios in the world use B&W. :) Not much of an argument is it.

My general impressions match Gene DeSalla's here in this review. http://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/dynaudio-52se

At this point in my listening tests, I would categorize the Dynaudio's as recessed and slightly closed-in midrange, deep blossoming bass, and sibilance free, clairvoyantly transparent highs. I was beginning to realize these speakers leaned more towards the jazz and percussion listener than they did towards one who preferred the more vocal side of music.

Just when I was about to declare the Dynaudio Audience 52-SE's the definitive bass master of bookshelf speakers, I was thrown a curve ball. Fourplay's - Between the Sheets title track "Chant" is not for the wimpy speakers at heart. In fact, Fourplay should add a disclaimer to this CD - " We don't warranty against blown woofers, listen with care ". I was eager to hear the bass response of this song on the Dyne's and fired it up. Instead I heard a shockingly loud popping sound predominantly out of the right speaker each time the bass drum hit at the song's intro. Thinking there must be a defect in the woofers voice coil assembly, I immediately turned the music down, disconnected the right speaker and re-listened with just the left one. The popping sound surfaced again, but I had to inch the volume up just a tad for it to be as loud as it was heard on the right speaker. What I was hearing was the woofer bottoming out. I was astonished to hear this in a modern day speaker, especially since most drivers now employee a shorting ring on the bottom of the pole piece to prevent the voice coil from going out of the gap.

My recommendation here is either to use the volume control sparingly during bass-intense music listening sessions, or cross them over between 60 - 80 Hz or so, and supplement them with a subwoofer. The latter is the preferred choice, especially in a home theater environment. I found this worked very well and allowed me to turn the volume up to maximum levels I could comfortably listen too.

I continued listening to familiar source material that I run most loudspeakers through to get a good understanding of the performance capabilities of these speakers. At the end of my evaluation I was left with the conclusion that these speakers truly shined with percussion / jazz type music, but lacked the ultimate elements of intimacy in the midrange arena to convince me I was listening to a singer and not a speaker. Their Achilles heal perhaps was the bass / midrange driver with its long throw, large 3" diameter voice coil and oversized dust cap which seemed more suited for midbass duties than it did for a dedicated midrange. Perhaps a 3-way variant of this speaker would have been more appropriate and something we should check out in the future. Don't take this as a major blow against this speaker however. The Audience 52 SE's did a great job on instrumental music and classical. I think this is partly attributed to the excellent tweeter design and quality of crossover components employed. There were moments when I listened to this speaker that I thoroughly enjoyed them and you may wallow in them as well if they suit your musical tastes.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Don't go there, i can give you 10 five stars reviews from Dynaudio speakers! From all major hi fi magazines!

I'm not saing that they are better that any other speacial brand!

But saing this " Dynaudios don't have a particulary good midrange and they don't do well with vocals as much as rhytm. Thump thump speakers more than warm and airy.

Wonderfull exception the Dynaudio Esotar tweeter in 90's Sonus Fabers. <3"

is a bit to much! Because it is not true!

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Vladimir said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

Explain why the best studios in the world use B&W. :) Not much of an argument is it.

My general impressions match Gene DeSalla's here in this review. http://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/dynaudio-52se

At this point in my listening tests, I would categorize the Dynaudio's as recessed and slightly closed-in midrange, deep blossoming bass, and sibilance free, clairvoyantly transparent highs. I was beginning to realize these speakers leaned more towards the jazz and percussion listener than they did towards one who preferred the more vocal side of music.

Just when I was about to declare the Dynaudio Audience 52-SE's the definitive bass master of bookshelf speakers, I was thrown a curve ball. Fourplay's - Between the Sheets title track "Chant" is not for the wimpy speakers at heart. In fact, Fourplay should add a disclaimer to this CD - " We don't warranty against blown woofers, listen with care ". I was eager to hear the bass response of this song on the Dyne's and fired it up. Instead I heard a shockingly loud popping sound predominantly out of the right speaker each time the bass drum hit at the song's intro. Thinking there must be a defect in the woofers voice coil assembly, I immediately turned the music down, disconnected the right speaker and re-listened with just the left one. The popping sound surfaced again, but I had to inch the volume up just a tad for it to be as loud as it was heard on the right speaker. What I was hearing was the woofer bottoming out. I was astonished to hear this in a modern day speaker, especially since most drivers now employee a shorting ring on the bottom of the pole piece to prevent the voice coil from going out of the gap.

My recommendation here is either to use the volume control sparingly during bass-intense music listening sessions, or cross them over between 60 - 80 Hz or so, and supplement them with a subwoofer. The latter is the preferred choice, especially in a home theater environment. I found this worked very well and allowed me to turn the volume up to maximum levels I could comfortably listen too.

I continued listening to familiar source material that I run most loudspeakers through to get a good understanding of the performance capabilities of these speakers. At the end of my evaluation I was left with the conclusion that these speakers truly shined with percussion / jazz type music, but lacked the ultimate elements of intimacy in the midrange arena to convince me I was listening to a singer and not a speaker. Their Achilles heal perhaps was the bass / midrange driver with its long throw, large 3" diameter voice coil and oversized dust cap which seemed more suited for midbass duties than it did for a dedicated midrange. Perhaps a 3-way variant of this speaker would have been more appropriate and something we should check out in the future. Don't take this as a major blow against this speaker however. The Audience 52 SE's did a great job on instrumental music and classical. I think this is partly attributed to the excellent tweeter design and quality of crossover components employed. There were moments when I listened to this speaker that I thoroughly enjoyed them and you may wallow in them as well if they suit your musical tastes.

An interesting read.....out of interest, I have just listened to fourplay on gpaa (Google play all access) and that is some of the nicest sounding music so far to play through my system. Sure is bassy, but not overly so. Very smooth and sounds really well recorded produced. Nice!

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Another vote here for Sonus faber: it's worth trying the Venere range. They're certainly warm and airy.

I wouldn't go for a valve amp. You'll get the presentation you want from the speakers. Having chosen the speakers, you can then choose the amp that drives them best (within your budget).

Matt

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Sonus-Faber-Electa-Amator-II-front.jpg

dreamy.gif

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Have a listen to Boston Acoustic's M25 speakers if you can. They have a very wide and open sound, but don't have that pitching high sound of most speakers today. They do need a sub to cover the whole frequency range.

Or, if you have room for them, the M350.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:

Didn't know you were an SF fancier Vlad.

I noticed earlier in the thread you mentioned the Electa Amator, now the Signums..........

Before I got my Martin Logans I had the 'Amators, with Audio Research, I had a Classic 60 or an early D250 (both 'borrowed') but I sold them to pursue my electrostatic dream.

I really wish I hadn't, last of the truly great SF standmounts that were actually (more or less) affordable. Much better than the later Signums.

matthewpiano

Vladimir said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

Sorry Vladimir but this is complete rubbish.

Mid-range and vocals are one of Dynaudio's strengths. I was listening to Josienne Clkarke and Ben Walker's album 'Fire and Fortune' last night and the delicacy and intimacy with which the DM2/6s reproduced Josienne's gorgeous singing was wonderful. Likewise, when I play one of the Strawbs albums I get all the character and emotion of Dave Cousins' instantly recognisable voice coming through.

There is no boom and thump in the sound. I can't stand excess bass. In fact one of the reasons I went for the Dyns instead of CM series B&W is thefact that they have superior integration and balance across the frequency range and simply open the door as wide as possible onto the music and pull you in. They do plumb surprisingly low and there is real quality to the sound of double basses and cellos considering the diminutive size, but there is nothing heavy or leaden down about the sound.

I would say Dyns should definitely be on the OP's list as they put the music first.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts