Warm airy musical speakers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Sonus-Faber-Electa-Amator-II-front.jpg

dreamy.gif

Well I want to live there ! I can go fishing and listen to my HiFi at the same time which has got to be the closest thing to heaven :grin:

Philsons

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all your advice! Rally like tis forum, fast response.

I know sound can be different from person to person, so ofcourse I will take good time to listen next time I have the uppertunity. I believe I have something to start with! :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Vladimir said:

Didn't know you were an SF fancier Vlad.

I noticed earlier in the thread you mentioned the Electa Amator, now the Signums..........

Before I got my Martin Logans I had the 'Amators, with Audio Research, I had a Classic 60 or an early D250 (both 'borrowed') but I sold them to pursue my electrostatic dream.

I really wish I hadn't, last of the truly great SF standmounts that were actually (more or less) affordable. Much better than the later Signums.

These are Electa Amator II, notice the "cheeks" which the Signum model doesn't have. I would not mind having it as my retirement speaker.
love.gif

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
These are Electa Amator II, notice the "cheeks" which the Signum model doesn't have. I would not mind having it as my retirement speaker.
love.gif

Quite correct Vlad.

Never even seen the Electa Amator II in the flesh, had a reputation for being less good than the original, which had a vertical front baffle and sloping rear. Seeing the sloping front I assumed they were Signums.

This was the time that SF started to slightly loose the plot, the cheaper, entry level, Concerto range were not that special and the Elector Amator and the Extrema were discontinued. For a while they seemed to concentrate on statement products, leaving the more affordable product alone.

Still not that 'taken' with any of the Venere range, though the entry level is ok for the money, The Liuto models were quite nice, but they are gone too.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
IMO since the Electa Amator I and the Extrema it all went downhill in the build and sound quality for SF monitors.

I found the B&W CM1 better than the Venere's so I bought the Bowers. The Venere's had more exciting and "airy" upper midrange but as they come down in frequency the competitors better them, including Dynaudio. I expected them to amaze me longer than 5 min. but it didn't happen.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
No one seems to notice I praised the Dynaudio Esotar driver or that I recommended firmly Dynaudio in another thread. Stop ego tripping. I just said they are not "warm and airy" and more rythmical speakers. It is neither a criticism or a compliment. It is just my opinion, some guy online, needless to say take it with a grain of salt.

And Viva la Dynaudio!
denmark.gif

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Vladimir said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Add to your list Dynaudio Focus 160, Dynaudio are known for neutral sounding and real good with voices and jazz.

They sure have a very soft mid range, pair them with a hybrid amp like Unison Research Unico Nuovo and will not regreat!

I have dynaudio X12 with Pathos Classic One, will upgrade some time my X12 but only for Contour or Confidence range!

Dynaudios don't have a particulary good midrange and they don't do well with vocals as much as rhytm. Thump thump speakers more than warm and airy.

Wonderfull exception the Dynaudio Esotar tweeter in 90's Sonus Fabers. <3

Sorry Vladimir but this is complete rubbish.

Mid-range and vocals are one of Dynaudio's strengths. I was listening to Josienne Clkarke and Ben Walker's album 'Fire and Fortune' last night and the delicacy and intimacy with which the DM2/6s reproduced Josienne's gorgeous singing was wonderful. Likewise, when I play one of the Strawbs albums I get all the character and emotion of Dave Cousins' instantly recognisable voice coming through.

There is no boom and thump in the sound. I can't stand excess bass. In fact one of the reasons I went for the Dyns instead of CM series B&W is thefact that they have superior integration and balance across the frequency range and simply open the door as wide as possible onto the music and pull you in. They do plumb surprisingly low and there is real quality to the sound of double basses and cellos considering the diminutive size, but there is nothing heavy or leaden down about the sound.

I would say Dyns should definitely be on the OP's list as they put the music first.

I tend to agree. I'm not agreat fan of Dyns but the CM1s have a problem with the bass, to me its is lumpy and not integrated. I did read some cooments by a speaker manufacturer who happened to have some CM1s at his office and he tought they were pretty bad, I think he discribed the bass as slow. I have also read musicians comments about the CM1s and they were not very favourable.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
But the midrange in the CM1 is for Dynaudio to dream about!

dance.gif

Hyping your own choices........ :?

A bit infra dignitatum.

To follow the lead in another thread, it appears to be ok to put down a fellow forum member, providing you do it in latin........ :rofl:

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Let's put a END to all this nonsence!

Excite X12 review by Jonh Reina from Stereophile

"That something special arrived during my very first listening session. The layers of detail revealed by the X12's rich, glorious, silky midrange made me want to listen to female singers. There was a quality in the lower end of the alto range that made particularly luscious Cassandra Wilson's rendering of Robbie Robertson's "The Weight," on Belly of the Sun (CD, Blue Note 35072). Further up the frequency range, there was a rightness to Madeline Peyroux's voice onCareless Love (CD, Rounder 11661-3192-2) that made her the perfect foil for Larry Golding's upper-register colorings on Hammond organ. I speak here of rightness of harmonic structure. From the mid-midrange to the lower highs, the X12 had such a "rightness" of timbral reproduction that I could almost see the drawbar settings on Golding's instrument."

"Wrapping up
I frequently receive e-mails from readers who ask me to weigh the tradeoffs of the various speakers I've reviewed. With the Dynaudio Excite X12, there are no tradeoffs. It sets a high standard of excellence in every meaningful sonic parameter, whether in absolute terms or with respect to its price and size. Having heard so many excellent speakers in recent years, I thought it would be hard to find an affordable bookshelf model that would stand out from the pack. I was wrong. The Dynaudio Excite X12 has become my new benchmark for loudspeakers costing under $2000/pair."

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
From Dynaudio web page.

"Dynaudio Excite X12 awarded Loudspeaker Product of the Year by GoodSound!

The Dynaudio Excite X12 was selected as the 2009 Loudspeaker Product of the Year by GoodSound! as part of the SoundStage! Network Annual Awards.

The Excite X12 initially received a "GoodSound! Great Buy" designation after Doug Schneider's review.

Schneider concluded that "...it's the Dynaudio Excite X12's considerable strengths that make it special, even unique -- I don't know of another small speaker that plays quite like this one. The Excite X12 is now one of my favorite small speakers, and certainly is something to get excited about." "

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Dynaudio Excite X12 review in Stereophile [/b]

Following its "2009 Soundstage! Network Loudspeaker Product of the Year" Award and excellent reviews in GoodSound! ("Great Buy" designation) and What Hi-Fi? ("5 Stars"), the Excite X12 is reviewed by Stereophile. The X12 received a rave review by Robert J. Reina which appears in the March 2010 issue of Stereophile magazine. Editor John Atkinson comments in the Measurements section of the review that: "For $1200/pair, a well engineered speaker like this makes it hard to justify spending more on a bookshelf speaker unless you can afford one of the cost-no-object models.", while Reina concludes his review stating: "With the Dynaudio Excite X12, there are no tradeoffs. It sets a high standard of excellence in every meaningful sonic parameter, whether in absolute terms or with respect to its price and size Having heard so many excellent speakers in recent years, I thought it would be hard to find an affordable bookshelf model that would stand out from the pack. I was wrong. The Dynaudio Excite X12 has

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I trust Audioholics and my hearing more than Stereophile. If Dynaudio had a good midrange up to my standards I would have bought it, I am very picky and have extremely refined taste.

Thank you.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Vladimir said:

dance.gif

A bit infra dignitatum.

I would say that applies for the Dynaudio fanboys who can't accept my opinion be left alone in public without smearing and personal attacks.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
There are people who like Dynaudio speakers and people who don't..................simple as that. Let's respect opinions from everybody ok ? ;)

I'm not a fan of the Dynaudio X12 speakers.............had them for a while and then bought the Dali Lektor 2 speakers which were cheaper but far better IMO. Every person is entitled to his or her personal preferences and tastes.

matthewpiano

I don't think anyone would have come back in defence of Dynaudio if you hadn't voiced your opinion as if it was a fact Vladimir. It is your OPINION that the mid-range on Dyns isn't good. It is far from being a fact and there are many people out there who disagree with you, just as there are plenty who would disagree with my opinion of the CM1s.

Anyway, lets all get back to trying to help the OP instead of arguing over our own equipment.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I don't think anyone would have come back in defence of Dynaudio if you hadn't voiced your opinion as if it was a fact Vladimir. It is your OPINION that the mid-range on Dyns isn't good. It is far from being a fact and there are many people out there who disagree with you, just as there are plenty who would disagree with my opinion of the CM1s.

Anyway, lets all get back to trying to help the OP instead of arguing over our own equipment.

Do I need to state "IMO" before every sentance on a public forum?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I was just stating a fact ! never wanted to say that dynaudio speakers were better that any one, only that a smooth midrange is a characteristic from dynaudio speakers.

and if we put personal opinions aside, and concentrate in all reviews, exept the one of 52s (maybe a faulty unit ;) ) we can clearly see that many reviewers have the same opinion about dynaudio smooth midrange!

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Vladimir said:

dance.gif

A bit infra dignitatum.

To follow the lead in another thread, it appears to be ok to put down a fellow forum member, providing you do it in latin........ :rofl:

"Dignitatem", Dave.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
I was just stating a fact ! never wanted to say that dynaudio speakers were better that any one, only that a smooth midrange is a characteristic from dynaudio speakers.

That's an opinion, not a fact.

TRENDING THREADS