Upgrade from Monitor Audio Silver RX2

VincentThys

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

Advice from you would be very very welcome on this.

My system contains of:

- speakers: Monitor Audio Silver RX2 (older model)
- amp: NAD C355 bee (also old but plenty of power)
- sources: vinyl: Technics SL1200 mk 2 (the dj one) with Audio Technica cartridge and Project Phono Box s preamplifier. Tidal hifi: using or a Google Chromecast Audio or USB input of Marantz CD6005 (using its DAC)

I want to improve my speakers because:

- they've always sound harsh, very trebly. This appears to be a common problem with this tweeter.
- sound separation and clarity: I've recently bought my first good headphone (Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro) and amp/dac (ifi audio hip dac 2). I've never heard these details before on my speakers: panning between L and R, instrument separation without becoming muddy, punch (like the kickdrum of live performances but the DAC has a bass boost), general details of the recording like reverbs, small delays, vocal effects, etc.

My room is 10x5 m². But I only want quality in my living room which is 5x5 m². I've got got wooden floors everywhere and no acoustic threatment. I don't own this appartment so I can only add a carpet I guess.

Budget and ideas: I have 1.000 Euro now so I want to go second hand. I've been thinking of following bookshelf speakers (which I prefer)

- Kef R3: not the Meta, there are deals for the normal R3
- Monitor Audio Gold 100 gen 4
- Focal Aria 906

I'd like them to sound detailed and warm. I have Dynaudio studio monitors if I want flat flat.
I mostly listen to rock and singer song writers. Sometimes a bit electronic.

All help welcome! Thanks.

matthewpianist

I don't think Focal will give you what you are looking for. I had a pair and enjoyed them very much, but they were prone to top-end edginess that wasn't really ameliorated by any choice of amp.

Dynaudio studio monitors might be very linear, but their passive speakers have more character and would be a very good way to achieve the 'detailed and warm' presentation you are seeking. The DM2/6 are the speakers I have kept for longest, by far, as plenty of other talented options have come and gone.

Given this, I suggest trying a pair of Emit 20 (the Emit 10 are the current equivalent to my DM2/6, but these are smaller than your MAs).

leemccann1

Sep 2, 2020
Visit site
I had the silver RX6 a few years back, these were used with Denon 4500 av amp, i then bought some LS50 wiresless 2's, these were superb in 4.5mx4m room sometimes plugged the silver W12 sub in that I have also. I sold the RX6 a while back and ende dup with Siver 50's for more of an AV set up still with the LS50's but I wanted to have a more full time AV set up so took the plunge and sold the LS50's, I bought a Denon 6700 and have just got the Gold 100's (5g) and C250 (5g) centre (probably going full in and getting the gold 200's next year and moving the 50's to rears) I do have atmos ceiling built in also. But back to your question around the 2ch, for me the Golds do beat the LS50's even with my AV amp and they are not yet run in, only had a month or two. And against the prev silver models ive owned they ar e far superior. I was listening yesterday in 2ch direct more and you would place your house on the fact the music was coming from the centre speaker when you looked at it but it was just the very good stereo imaging on the 50's, I do listen to rock and quite bass heaving other type of music and I think they sound amazing. I also prefer them switched to 'large' in the av amp and the sub off, I feel if you are spending a lot on speakers why not use them all instead of directing the bass to a probably lower spec sub.... anyway in my opintion and my ears im very happy with the gold 100's (probably dont even need to go for the 200's but it was always the plan). there was a pair on uk ebay for £999 for a long while so maybe you could get the new version for your budget

Hi all,

Advice from you would be very very welcome on this.

My system contains of:

- speakers: Monitor Audio Silver RX2 (older model)
- amp: NAD C355 bee (also old but plenty of power)
- sources: vinyl: Technics SL1200 mk 2 (the dj one) with Audio Technica cartridge and Project Phono Box s preamplifier. Tidal hifi: using or a Google Chromecast Audio or USB input of Marantz CD6005 (using its DAC)

I want to improve my speakers because:

- they've always sound harsh, very trebly. This appears to be a common problem with this tweeter.
- sound separation and clarity: I've recently bought my first good headphone (Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro) and amp/dac (ifi audio hip dac 2). I've never heard these details before on my speakers: panning between L and R, instrument separation without becoming muddy, punch (like the kickdrum of live performances but the DAC has a bass boost), general details of the recording like reverbs, small delays, vocal effects, etc.

My room is 10x5 m². But I only want quality in my living room which is 5x5 m². I've got got wooden floors everywhere and no acoustic threatment. I don't own this appartment so I can only add a carpet I guess.

Budget and ideas: I have 1.000 Euro now so I want to go second hand. I've been thinking of following bookshelf speakers (which I prefer)

- Kef R3: not the Meta, there are deals for the normal R3
- Monitor Audio Gold 100 gen 4
- Focal Aria 906

I'd like them to sound detailed and warm. I have Dynaudio studio monitors if I want flat flat.
I mostly listen to rock and singer song writers. Sometimes a bit electronic.

All help welcome! Thanks.
Adding a carpet is a good idea. This stops any possible harshness at all frequences. I've demoed the NAD 356 with my old MA RS6s and the combo sounded really good.

Otherwise, I agree with @matthewpianist with Dynaudio. I would also suggest Q Acoustics Concept 30. Very dynamic but has a silkiness to them.

Amormusic

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
I would also suggest Q Acoustics Concept 30. Very dynamic but has a silkiness to them.
No connection to this seller. But seems a good deal depending on where OP lives.

WayneKerr

I had a pair of RX2's, they are very large standmounts, maybe too large/ugly from an aesthetic viewpoint.

Might sound strange but I replaced mine with a pair of PMC DB1 Gold, they trumped the MA's in almost every respect but are half the size. Of course this was in my room measuring approx. 4m x 3.5m, I do have wooden flooring with a large rug in the centre.

I then moved onto small Harbeth's which also have a metallic tweeter but you wouldn't know if you heard them, they never ever sound harsh.

Holden Caulfield

Jan 2, 2023
Visit site
I had the silver RX6 a few years back, these were used with Denon 4500 av amp, i then bought some LS50 wiresless 2's, these were superb in 4.5mx4m room sometimes plugged the silver W12 sub in that I have also. I sold the RX6 a while back and ende dup with Siver 50's for more of an AV set up still with the LS50's but I wanted to have a more full time AV set up so took the plunge and sold the LS50's, I bought a Denon 6700 and have just got the Gold 100's (5g) and C250 (5g) centre (probably going full in and getting the gold 200's next year and moving the 50's to rears) I do have atmos ceiling built in also. But back to your question around the 2ch, for me the Golds do beat the LS50's even with my AV amp and they are not yet run in, only had a month or two. And against the prev silver models ive owned they ar e far superior. I was listening yesterday in 2ch direct more and you would place your house on the fact the music was coming from the centre speaker when you looked at it but it was just the very good stereo imaging on the 50's, I do listen to rock and quite bass heaving other type of music and I think they sound amazing. I also prefer them switched to 'large' in the av amp and the sub off, I feel if you are spending a lot on speakers why not use them all instead of directing the bass to a probably lower spec sub.... anyway in my opintion and my ears im very happy with the gold 100's (probably dont even need to go for the 200's but it was always the plan). there was a pair on uk ebay for £999 for a long while so maybe you could get the new version for your bud

I had the silver RX6 a few years back, these were used with Denon 4500 av amp, i then bought some LS50 wiresless 2's, these were superb in 4.5mx4m room sometimes plugged the silver W12 sub in that I have also. I sold the RX6 a while back and ende dup with Siver 50's for more of an AV set up still with the LS50's but I wanted to have a more full time AV set up so took the plunge and sold the LS50's, I bought a Denon 6700 and have just got the Gold 100's (5g) and C250 (5g) centre (probably going full in and getting the gold 200's next year and moving the 50's to rears) I do have atmos ceiling built in also. But back to your question around the 2ch, for me the Golds do beat the LS50's even with my AV amp and they are not yet run in, only had a month or two. And against the prev silver models ive owned they ar e far superior. I was listening yesterday in 2ch direct more and you would place your house on the fact the music was coming from the centre speaker when you looked at it but it was just the very good stereo imaging on the 50's, I do listen to rock and quite bass heaving other type of music and I think they sound amazing. I also prefer them switched to 'large' in the av amp and the sub off, I feel if you are spending a lot on speakers why not use them all instead of directing the bass to a probably lower spec sub.... anyway in my opintion and my ears im very happy with the gold 100's (probably dont even need to go for the 200's but it was always the plan). there was a pair on uk ebay for £999 for a long while so maybe you could get the new version for your budget
I'm looking at a pair of RX6 in rosenut, mainly because of how they look. I've heard Monitor Audio are too bright, could you tell me your option on this please?

Tinman1952

I've heard Monitor Audio are too bright
...and where have you heard this? Don't rely on others' opinions on forums ...you need to listen for yourself. I had a pair of MA Silver S6 for many years and they were not bright at all...very refined highs and superb tone. What Hi-Fi had a pair of Monitor Audio speakers in their 'reference' system for many years.
Try and have a listen....

Holden Caulfield

Jan 2, 2023
Visit site
...and where have you heard this? Don't rely on others' opinions on forums ...you need to listen for yourself. I had a pair of MA Silver S6 for many years and they were not bright at all...very refined highs and superb tone. What Hi-Fi had a pair of Monitor Audio speakers in their 'reference' system for many years.
Thank you so much for this. I love the way they look in the rosenut color. I'm probably going to buy some but I won't be able to listen to them first. Can you tell me if you know where the S6 fit into the history? My understanding is: Silver RS > RX >6 > 300 > 300 7G. I can't find any information on the S6. When did they sell those?

Do you have a recommendation as to which generation I should buy? I think the RS is too old, my preference is the Silver 6 or 8 or 10 or the Silver 300. There are some RX6 available in rosenut that look amazing so I might get those. Can you give me some advice? Thanks.

gasolin

Your problem is your amp, a nad C355BEE is not very good, it lacks details in the highs and can get to much in the highs at high levels

Change the amp

Speakers mabye wharfedale diamind 200 the highs are not intrusive

If you can find a pair of Dynaudio emit 30 for £1000, the are not bright and they have a warm sound

Last edited:

Tinman1952

Thank you so much for this. I love the way they look in the rosenut color. I'm probably going to buy some but I won't be able to listen to them first. Can you tell me if you know where the S6 fit into the history? My understanding is: Silver RS > RX >6 > 300 > 300 7G. I can't find any information on the S6. When did they sell those?

Do you have a recommendation as to which generation I should buy? I think the RS is too old, my preference is the Silver 6 or 8 or 10 or the Silver 300. There are some RX6 available in rosenut that look amazing so I might get those. Can you give me some advice? Thanks.
Hi. Sorry for the late reply.
The S6 were the model before the excellent RS6. The range has evolved/improved technically over the years...from a highly regarded start. I would get the latest model your budget allows 🙂

Reactions: DougK1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts