Vinyl vs digital

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

I will probably give my CDs away, as no shop will pay even a quid for one these days.
Although selling isn't officially allowed here....where there's a will, there's a way for members to view your list of CD chuckouts, when the time is right.

You won't have to give them away 😉
(Of course, by law, you can't sell the ones you've ripped - and I know you'll want to abide by that rule).

Reactions: Symples

daveh75

You won't have to give them away 😉
(Of course, by law, you can't sell the ones you've ripped - and I know you'll want to abide by that rule).

Given it was only briefly legal (2014 -15?) to rip your CD/DVD/BDs in the UK the claim that it's OK so long as you keep the discs is a bit of a nonsense, and I don't know how it started or why it persists amongst Hi-Fi types.

However, as it's a copyright infringement, and therefore a civil offence (pirates excepted) , that as far as I'm aware, no one has ever been successfully prosecuted for, ripping them, whether you keep them or pass them on is a total non issue.

Gray

However, as it's a copyright infringement, and therefore a civil offence (pirates excepted) , that as far as I'm aware, no one has ever been successfully prosecuted for, ripping them, whether you keep them or pass them on is a total non issue.
Home taping of vinyl - illegal, but was there anyone that didn't do it?....just to play in their car (but including vinyl borrowed from others).

Reactions: Friesiansam

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
The one I currently own. Very different to the one it replaced, very analogue sounding, but hard to really quantify as I changed all the kit in one go so could be a combination of amp and CDP.

I think I've had this kit three years and I must say since owning the amp+CDP I can count on one hand the amount of times I've wanted to put an LP on, and that is something I used to enjoy.
I can remember spending half a week's wages on the latest LP I wanted and the excitement of getting back home and playing it.
I remember in addition how quickly it seemed that I would have to get up, and go and turn it over. That was decades ago.
My once beloved collection of LPs got lost years ago after numerous house moves, so these details are now a distant memory.
Having changed over to CD after buying my first 'proper' hi-fi separates system in 2007, I can't help but say that I don't miss LPs and turntables in the slightest.
There's no doubt in my mind that CDs sound better, are easier to use, easier to store and easier to buy. There are some great new or secondhand CDs available on line for sale at very reasonable prices.
Thus, for me the acquisition of recorded music and the playing and listening of music has become a vastly improved experience.
In addition to this, being a classical music fan there are some absolutely superb recordings available on CD and with the right equipment, I honestly couldn't imagine the music sounding any better. As for other genres of music I would say exactly the same thing regarding sound quality and CDs.

Friesiansam

There's no doubt in my mind that CDs sound better, are easier to use, easier to store and easier to buy. There are some great new or secondhand CDs available on line for sale at very reasonable prices.
Thus, for me the acquisition of recorded music and the playing and listening of music has become a vastly improved experience.
That's pretty much how I feel.

Reactions: JDL

Oxfordian

I don't see an issue with vinyl, I love the interaction its all part of the tactility of using vinyl.

CD's yeah they're okay but a bit mind numbing when it comes to change over though, press a button - CD gets ejected, its all a bit soulless if i'm honest.

But we are all different and have different likes and dislikes so just do your thing and enjoy whatever format you choose to listen too.

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
I truly like both vinyl and CDs very much, and feel no need to choose.

I find playing and listening to both soulful. I've enjoyed CDs continuously for almost 4 decades, and didn't have a turntable for only 8-10 of those years. This century, I like my digital files and the various ways and locations I play those as well. Fortunate and thankful to have and enjoy each of them, indeed.

Or, did I say this here already? Maybe I just say it often because its been asked for decades -and I still enjoy considering the question and hearing/reading the diverse thinking and experiences.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I don't see an issue with vinyl, I love the interaction its all part of the tactility of using vinyl.

CD's yeah they're okay but a bit mind numbing when it comes to change over though, press a button - CD gets ejected, its all a bit soulless if i'm honest.

But we are all different and have different likes and dislikes so just do your thing and enjoy whatever format you choose to listen too.
The music I listen to is never soul -less. Far from it. I certainly wouldn't like to denigrate your feelings about this either. But when I think about how beautifully designed, engineered and put together my CD player, that's lasted 30 years is, and how wonderfully it reproduces the information conveyed to it from a CD, I would find that hard to think of it in the same manner that your feelings about it suggest.
I'm not implying either, that my CD player is the only one that I could or do feel like that about.
There have been many CD players into which an awful lot of design and engineering genius has been utilised by some extremely talented people with real vision, notwithstanding the fact that the end result requires only that one inserts a CD and presses a button.

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

The music I listen to is never soul -less. Far from it. I certainly wouldn't like to denigrate your feelings about this either. But when I think about how beautifully designed, engineered and put together my CD player, that's lasted 30 years is, and how wonderfully it reproduces the information conveyed to it from a CD, I would find that hard to think of it in the same manner that your feelings about it suggest.
I'm not implying either, that my CD player is the only one that I could or do feel like that about.
There have been many CD players into which an awful lot of design and engineering genius has been utilised by some extremely talented people with real vision, notwithstanding the fact that the end result requires only that one inserts a CD and presses a button.
I think maybe you have misunderstood what I was trying to get across.

With vinyl I have a great tactile interaction, there’s lots to do when setting up, changing sides or playing the next album, whereas with CD’s you insert the medium into a slot - press a button and music plays, alternatively press a button a tray comes out, place CD onto tray - press a button and the CD disappears, press another and music plays. It is the process of playing a CD that is soulless not the sound.

My little 6000CDT is great, it sounds great and I like it but there is no real interaction with CD’s as there with my vinyl.

Apologies if I didn’t make it clear.

Reactions: Clarkey_71

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I think maybe you have misunderstood what I was trying to get across.

With vinyl I have a great tactile interaction, there’s lots to do when setting up, changing sides or playing the next album, whereas with CD’s you insert the medium into a slot - press a button and music plays, alternatively press a button a tray comes out, place CD onto tray - press a button and the CD disappears, press another and music plays. It is the process of playing a CD that is soulless not the sound.

My little 6000CDT is great, it sounds great and I like it but there is no real interaction with CD’s as there with my vinyl.

Apologies if I didn’t make it clear.
Oh no apologies necessary at all. And I apologize if I gave the impression that you don't appreciate the music itself and CD players.
I suppose I was trying to convey my own feelings of not wanting to take some of the the things we have in the world today for granted. But to appreciate some of the progress that's been made and the work done by those people that we rarely see or hear of who have made these things happen. Certainly not all so called progress is to be lauded though. Certainly not ha ha. And I understand the tactile attractions of turntables and LPs that people appreciate, I suppose it's just something that doesn't attract me any more.
However as you say each to their own and whatever we all enjoy about Hi-Fi and music is what draws us all together to chat and get along on this forum.

I don't think there's anything interesting about self-appointed 'experts' on YT myself. Against my better judgement I watched a few seconds - won't be getting them back...

EDIT: I really struggle with the mannerisms of wannabe 'influencers' etc. Exaggerated hand gestures, odd cadences, frequently teamed with OTT facial expressions - all presumably intended to make people think they've got something to say that's worth hearing. In my experience, they usually don't.

Friesiansam

I don't think there's anything interesting about self-appointed 'experts' on YT myself. Against my better judgement I watched a few seconds - won't be getting them back...

EDIT: I really struggle with the mannerisms of wannabe 'influencers' etc. Exaggerated hand gestures, odd cadences, frequently teamed with OTT facial expressions - all presumably intended to make people think they've got something to say that's worth hearing. In my experience, they usually don't.
I avoid “influencers “ like the plague and, see no reason to change that.

Oxfordian

I watch a few YT video's and you're so right about the OTT facial expressions, some tubers look as though they have had a red hot poker stuck up their........................

Mind you with some of the nonsense they come out with maybe that poker has it's uses.

:LOL:

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site

This description reminds me of television news readers and presenters in particular those at the BBC.

abacus

The more information you have the better decisions you can make, you don't have to believe everything the influencer says, but it gives you another perspective with which to help make your decision.

Bill

Oxfordian

The more information you have the better decisions you can make, you don't have to believe everything the influencer says, but it gives you another perspective with which to help make your decision.

Bill
I could agree with this if I could believe that the influencer wasn't getting some money from promoting said product, no one is going to bite the hand that feeds them so I remain hesitant in taking anything that an influencer says as gospel.

Gray

no one is going to bite the hand that feeds them
The better ones make it clear (to manufacturers and viewers) that, if necessary, that's exactly what they will do - and they do criticise stuff they've been given free.

I've watched plenty of YT videos.
I find them useful - for seeing what displays look like, the positions of sockets etc.....factual things.
I don't take too much notice of opinions, unless I can see and agree with what they're saying.
It's obvious whether or not they know what they're talking about - and very easy to know who to avoid.

D

Deleted member 201267

The better ones make it clear (to manufacturers and viewers) that, if necessary, that's exactly what they will do - and they do criticise stuff they've been given free.

I've watched plenty of YT videos.
I find them useful - for seeing what displays look like, the positions of sockets etc.....factual things.
I don't take too much notice of opinions, unless I can see and agree with what they're saying.
It's obvious whether or not they know what they're talking about - and very easy to know who to avoid.
I like the videos when they open up products and show us what is, or isn't, contained inside these overpriced products such as :-
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm3ladOhNfA

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts