Cartridge Dilemma

Jolly Bodger

Jan 24, 2024
Visit site
Most of my music is digital but I still enjoy listening to my vinyl.

My setup:

Linn LP12 (circa 1980 owned from new, upgraded several times over the years), Ittock LV II, Adikt MM cartridge. Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE (MM). Cambridge Audio Alva Duo (MM/MC), Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 200M, Little Dot MK IV SE Headphone Amplifier, Audeze LCD-2C, Sennheiser HD650 + a few others.

I’ve owned the Adikt for a long time and I reckon its due a new stylus. I’ve been considering trying an upgrade?? To a MC cartridge but with limited funds (£500-£600) I can’t really afford to go to a Linn Koil.

Should I bite the bullet and try a MC if so any thoughts/suggestions on make and model or simply get a new Adikt stylus?

JB

Not too sure on the price of a new Adikt stylus but issues with MC cartridges is you cannot replace the stylus it's the whole cartridge if things go amiss.
Also I am not aware of the quality of your Cambridge phono preamp with a low output MC cartridge which, in my opinion, are the only ones to look at.

Jolly Bodger

Jan 24, 2024
Visit site
Not too sure on the price of a new Adikt stylus but issues with MC cartridges is you cannot replace the stylus it's the whole cartridge if things go amiss.
Also I am not aware of the quality of your Cambridge phono preamp with a low output MC cartridge which, in my opinion, are the only ones to look at.
Thanks for the reply.
New Adikt stylus about £300. Not too worried about having to replace the whole cartridge.
JB

daytona600

Adikt is Goldring & Koil is Audio Technica & Ittok is Jelco
Linn never made a cartridge in 50years just rebrand & Double the price

£500/600 geta a nice shiny new Ortofon , AT , Sumiko , Grado , Nagaoka or £1000/1200 inc Linn Tax

Reactions: Al ears

Jolly Bodger

Jan 24, 2024
Visit site
Adikt is Goldring & Koil is Audio Technica & Ittok is Jelco
Linn never made a cartridge in 50years just rebrand & Double the price

£500/600 geta a nice shiny new Ortofon , AT , Sumiko , Grado , Nagaoka or £1000/1200 inc Linn Tax
Checking the specs of the Linn Koil and it looks as if its a rebadged Audio Technica AT-OC9XSL. Which I could stretch to at £625.

If you are not worried about replacing the whole cartridge one of the best low output moving coil cartridges, for the money, is the Denon 103R, you would have to be sure your phono preamp has enough gain to handle low output MCs.
Having said that I think you can get much better moving magnet cartridges if spending in the £500 region.
As stated above Linn cartridges are basically rebranded models from other cartridge manufacturers so best come away from them as you're paying a premium for the name alone.

Reactions: DougK1

Oxfordian

A lovely set-up, rather envious of the LP 12 you have, maybe one day I'll join you.

I would be tempted to look at AT's range of MM carts or Ortofon's 2M Black, all have replaceable styli and will work just fine with your existing set-up.

If you want to try MC cartridges a High Out one should work fine with what you are using now, if you have the ability to use Low output MC carts then that opens another door. MC carts that you may want to look at are Dynavector DV-10x5 which comes in both High and Low output as does its big brother the DV-20x2.

AT also do some excellent MC carts so you are spoiled for choice.

But as you have a Graham Slee MM stage I would be tempted to stick with MM cartridges and get the benefit of the MM Phono stage, maybe try a High Output MC cart could your local dealer loan you an ex-demo one to try?

Good luck.

A lovely set-up, rather envious of the LP 12 you have, maybe one day I'll join you.

I would be tempted to look at AT's range of MM carts or Ortofon's 2M Black, all have replaceable styli and will work just fine with your existing set-up.

If you want to try MC cartridges a High Out one should work fine with what you are using now, if you have the ability to use Low output MC carts then that opens another door. MC carts that you may want to look at are Dynavector DV-10x5 which comes in both High and Low output as does its big brother the DV-20x2.

AT also do some excellent MC carts so you are spoiled for choice.

But as you have a Graham Slee MM stage I would be tempted to stick with MM cartridges and get the benefit of the MM Phono stage, maybe try a High Output MC cart could your local dealer loan you an ex-demo one to try?

Good luck.
You missed the fact he also has the Cambridge Audio Alva Duo I believe.

Checking the specs of the Linn Koil and it looks as if its a rebadged Audio Technica AT-OC9XSL. Which I could stretch to at £625.
Just remembered this very thorough review in HFN including measurements. It’s of the slightly more expensive AT but the others in the range are described in some detail too.

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Just remembered this very thorough review in HFN including measurements. It’s of the slightly more expensive AT but the others in the range are described in some detail too.
The AT range is always worth a look. A very broad range.

alexclark4234

Jan 15, 2024
Visit site
Guys, I have read somewhere that the high end MM cartridges have their magnets at the end of cantilever placed near the pivot point which reduces the mass effect and allows the stylus to track the grooves freely. And high end MM cartridges sound quality is almost the same when compared with MC cartridges. Is this true?

If yes, then you can please name those MM cartridges?

Oxfordian

Guys, I have read somewhere that the high end MM cartridges have their magnets at the end of cantilever placed near the pivot point which reduces the mass effect and allows the stylus to track the grooves freely. And high end MM cartridges sound quality is almost the same when compared with MC cartridges. Is this true?

I cannot comment on where magnets are placed but yes a good top line MM cartridge can certainly hold its own when compared to a MC of similar value, Ortofon's 2M Black would be a good example to check out.

But, this does not mean that MC cartridges at lower price points are inferior they are not, Hana's EL (Low output) and EH (High Output)are excellent and well respected MC carts and very competitively price.

A key aspect to consider is what cartridges your system can accommodate, MM and MC or just MM?

Given the almost microscopic distances involved then what you’ve read might be an oversimplification. I believe more costly cartridges probably have magnets made of material that hold more magnetism for less mass, which is what your point is getting at. Grado and Nagaoka use a ‘moving iron’ design which is different again, but I won’t attempt to explain.

MC cartridges often have less compliance than MMs, but the designs of these two types have somewhat converged in the last few decades, after the pursuit of ever lower tracking weights for MM types in the 1970s. That was partly because the designs needed for the briefly fashionable 4-channel or Quadrophonic sound required very low mass styli to track the special modulations. Hence we saw very lightweight arms too, but these have mostly been rejected now as lacking sufficient stiffness.

Reactions: Al ears

Jolly Bodger

Jan 24, 2024
Visit site
Just a brief update:
Pulled the trigger on an Audio Technica AT-OC9XSL. Fitted it this afternoon and initial impressions are impressive. The Cambridge Audio Duo seems to handle it ok although the built in headphone amp is a bit weak but coupled to my Little Dot tube headphone amp it is driving the Audeze LCD-2c really well..

JB

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I cannot comment on where magnets are placed but yes a good top line MM cartridge can certainly hold its own when compared to a MC of similar value, Ortofon's 2M Black would be a good example to check out.

But, this does not mean that MC cartridges at lower price points are inferior they are not, Hana's EL (Low output) and EH (High Output)are excellent and well respected MC carts and very competitively price.

A key aspect to consider is what cartridges your system can accommodate, MM and MC or just MM?
Second that. My Hana SH is peachy. And the EL (and a gaggle of other Hanas) crowd Stereophile's recommended list.

As opposed to Linn, who mark up other folks' stuff (as noted above) Hana made stuff for others.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts