Scratchy whistle from cartridge

Twf

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
I have a scratchy whistling sound during quiet passages on some lps. It doesn't effect all lps but about 50% I play, it almost sounds like whistling wind.

i had my turntable in storage for a few years. I had to send the tonearm to linn as the tracking weight had stuck in position - it was rebuilt with new bearings at a cost of £400. The cartridge is a linn adikt, stylus is clean and not visibly bent, it has alignment tabs for the linn arm so it can't be misaligned as far as I am aware.

any suggestions as I am tending not to listen to lps due to the annoying whistle.

Twf said:
I have a scratchy whistling sound during quiet passages on some lps. It doesn't effect all lps but about 50% I play, it almost sounds like whistling wind.

i had my turntable in storage for a few years. I had to send the tonearm to linn as the tracking weight had stuck in position - it was rebuilt with new bearings at a cost of £400. The cartridge is a linn adikt, stylus is clean and not visibly bent, it has alignment tabs for the linn arm so it can't be misaligned as far as I am aware.

any suggestions as I am tending not to listen to lps due to the annoying whistle.

Welcome to the forum.

That's a puzzler. One can only assume it's the cartridge. How old is it?

Can you try another cartridge?

Twf

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
Twf said:

Welcome to the forum.

That's a puzzler. One can only assume it's the cartridge. How old is it?

Can you try another cartridge?

Thanks. The Linn adikt is probably six years old. It sounds great apart from on quiet bits! I don't know anyone else with a turntable and I live very remotely. It has done it since I reinstated the turntable, initially I thought it was the Ekos arm sticking slightly but after the full Linn factory rebuild it was the same.

As it is almost certainly the cartridge perhaps I should treat myself to a new one!

Sounds favourite. I don't know much about that Linn cartridge but six years is not old. Perhaps it may be an idea to buy any cheap cartridge and try that first. You could always keep it as a backup or sell it on afterwards.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts