Cambridge Audio Alva ST

record_spot

Ordered on Sunday and here today, my new turntable in the shape of Cambridge Audio's relatively recent Alva ST.

Released last year and given a pretty negative review soundwise in WHF, I opted to give one a spin when an open box but unused model came up, buying directly from Cambridge. A hefty discount and another 15% off code from Ebay meant we're not far off half price for this £849 deck and that means only one thing; I'm buying it!

I'm impressed right away by how well Cambridge package their gear. The deck comes in not one, but two double walled boxes. Internal packaging is as you'd expect for a turntable, but it's all well laid out and easy to unpack.

There's some really nice touches that Cambridge have included as well. The little red ribbon that sits, looped around the belt - it being a belt drive deck - seems like an oddity, until you then realise how easy it makes attaching the belt to the pulley on the motor. The Ortofon stylus weight guage, Cambridge RCA interconnects and pre-installed AT-VM95E cartridge on the detachable headshell mean you can be up and running in less than half an hour.

The Alva ST also has Bluetooth connectivity (which you can switch off) and an onboard phono stage - based on the company's apparently excellent external Duo phono stage - which you can also either go with, or select your own external one as desired.

The deck itself is very well built, around 9kgs, with a sleek minimalism that really appeals to my tastes. There's a power switch and speed selector buttons to the left and the Cambridge logo to the right, the platter and playing arm and that's it.

So far, so good and all in line with the review. And then, there's the sound and that's where we differ.

I'm using the onboard phono stage, mostly as I'm working from home and don't have the time to mess around getting my Project phono box set up or attach my Benz Micro Gold MC cartridge. I'll do all that at the weekend. So this is my take on the Alva ST without any extra or external bits and pieces added.

Just to be clear, I'm running this straight into my AVI actives, via the phono links from the turntable to the likewise inputs on the back of the speaker. It's about as clean a connection as you can get and lets me hear the deck minus any phono stages of amps getting in the way (well, excluding those in the speakers at any rate!).

Out the box, and give it two hours or so to run in and you'll maybe wonder if the WHF reviewer had covered the same turntable.

There's none of the "ponderous" sound they referred to. There is a big sound that delivers what I want to hear from vinyl, I'm not exactly a fan of the 95E cartridge (the ML or the C I tend think are the real stars of the 95 range) but here is doing pretty damn alright.

I picked a bunch of albums - Elton John's terrific 2001 album "Songs From the West Coast" and the earlier "Caribou", a Salsa compilation, Led Zeppelin II, The Band's "Stage Fright" and currently spinning Fish's "Weltschmertz" and the slightly veiled first hour or so soon passes and the sound really opens up.

There's good deep bass, but it's not ponderous, or impacting the timing. It's the kind of weighty, full sound that I like in good vinyl playback. I miss the clarity of the Benz moving coil, but I'm not exactly rushing to switch anything out either.

Vocals are well presented, harmonies are clear and instruments well separated. All in all, you'd be pleased to spend full price on this and for the price I paid, I'm delighted.

As for the WHF review, I think they've used the ST straight out the box and run with it because their conclusions don't stack up outside their test room.

Are there any niggles? Very minor. I get the comments about the amount of play in the tonearm movement, but if you're careful - and why wouldn't you be? - then you'll be fine. As to long term issues on bearing wear, the jury's out.

The platter mat is a hefty 5mm thing that's not too dissimilar to the one Thorens used on their TD160 (which I also have). I'm tempted to get a new one, but one thing at a time.

I'm not sure that's a niggle to be fair and probably just the old audiophile in me wanting the next shiny thing (albeit, they're generally not shiny as mats go!). That said, the Roksan RMAT-7 looks interesting, not least that it comes in 4mm or 7mm thicknesses as opposed to the more common 3mm or 5mm types. There used to be one that was very well regarded around the £90 mark and I'm damned if I can remember the manufacturer!

(Actually, I think I've just remembered and it's the Funk Firm Achromat. I'm not losing it after all!)

In the meantime, I've just swapped in the mat on the Thorens onto the Cambridge. Running updates will follow no doubt!

One major improvement is I can now walk across my floor and the playing arm doesn't behave like we're having a major earthquake! Big thumbs up!

So, after all that, my conclusions are that this is an excellent buy. I'm pretty astonished at how good the onboard phono stage is. The sound quality really isn't what I'd have expected given the WHF review and all I've been doing for the last four hours is playing one record after another. Surely that's recommendation enough to at least consider the flip side of the coin after the official review?

And here it is, unboxed, set up and ready to go!

IMG_20230712_143254.jpg

Ordered on Sunday and here today, my new turntable in the shape of Cambridge Audio's relatively recent Alva ST.

Released last year and given a pretty negative review soundwise in WHF, I opted to give one a spin when an open box but unused model came up, buying directly from Cambridge. A hefty discount and another 15% off code from Ebay meant we're not far off half price for this £849 deck and that means only one thing; I'm buying it!

I'm impressed right away by how well Cambridge package their gear. The deck comes in not one, but two double walled boxes. Internal packaging is as you'd expect for a turntable, but it's all well laid out and easy to unpack.

There's some really nice touches that Cambridge have included as well. The little red ribbon that sits, looped around the belt - it being a belt drive deck - seems like an oddity, until you then realise how easy it makes attaching the belt to the pulley on the motor. The Ortofon stylus weight guage, Cambridge RCA interconnects and pre-installed AT-VM95E cartridge on the detachable headshell mean you can be up and running in less than half an hour.

The Alva ST also has Bluetooth connectivity (which you can switch off) and an onboard phono stage - based on the company's apparently excellent external Duo phono stage - which you can also either go with, or select your own external one as desired.

The deck itself is very well built, around 9kgs, with a sleek minimalism that really appeals to my tastes. There's a power switch and speed selector buttons to the left and the Cambridge logo to the right, the platter and playing arm and that's it.

So far, so good and all in line with the review. And then, there's the sound and that's where we differ.

I'm using the onboard phono stage, mostly as I'm working from home and don't have the time to mess around getting my Project phono box set up or attach my Benz Micro Gold MC cartridge. I'll do all that at the weekend. So this is my take on the Alva ST without any extra or external bits and pieces added.

Just to be clear, I'm running this straight into my AVI actives, via the phono links from the turntable to the likewise inputs on the back of the speaker. It's about as clean a connection as you can get and lets me hear the deck minus any phono stages of amps getting in the way (well, excluding those in the speakers at any rate!).

Out the box, and give it two hours or so to run in and you'll maybe wonder if the WHF reviewer had covered the same turntable.

There's none of the "ponderous" sound they referred to. There is a big sound that delivers what I want to hear from vinyl, I'm not exactly a fan of the 95E cartridge (the ML or the C I tend think are the real stars of the 95 range) but here is doing pretty damn alright.

I picked a bunch of albums - Elton John's terrific 2001 album "Songs From the West Coast" and the earlier "Caribou", a Salsa compilation, Led Zeppelin II, The Band's "Stage Fright" and currently spinning Fish's "Weltschmertz" and the slightly veiled first hour or so soon passes and the sound really opens up.

There's good deep bass, but it's not ponderous, or impacting the timing. It's the kind of weighty, full sound that I like in good vinyl playback. I miss the clarity of the Benz moving coil, but I'm not exactly rushing to switch anything out either.

Vocals are well presented, harmonies are clear and instruments well separated. All in all, you'd be pleased to spend full price on this and for the price I paid, I'm delighted.

As for the WHF review, I think they've used the ST straight out the box and run with it because their conclusions don't stack up outside their test room.

Are there any niggles? Very minor. I get the comments about the amount of play in the tonearm movement, but if you're careful - and why wouldn't you be? - then you'll be fine. As to long term issues on bearing wear, the jury's out.

The platter mat is a hefty 5mm thing that's not too dissimilar to the one Thorens used on their TD160 (which I also have). I'm tempted to get a new one, but one thing at a time.

I'm not sure that's a niggle to be fair and probably just the old audiophile in me wanting the next shiny thing (albeit, they're generally not shiny as mats go!). That said, the Roksan RMAT-7 looks interesting, not least that it comes in 4mm or 7mm thicknesses as opposed to the more common 3mm or 5mm types. There used to be one that was very well regarded around the £90 mark and I'm damned if I can remember the manufacturer!

(Actually, I think I've just remembered and it's the Funk Firm Achromat. I'm not losing it after all!)

In the meantime, I've just swapped in the mat on the Thorens onto the Cambridge. Running updates will follow no doubt!

One major improvement is I can now walk across my floor and the playing arm doesn't behave like we're having a major earthquake! Big thumbs up!

So, after all that, my conclusions are that this is an excellent buy. I'm pretty astonished at how good the onboard phono stage is. The sound quality really isn't what I'd have expected given the WHF review and all I've been doing for the last four hours is playing one record after another. Surely that's recommendation enough to at least consider the flip side of the coin after the official review?

View attachment 4893
it's a nice clean looking deck, and a bit of a bargain.

Reactions: record_spot

View attachment 4893
What did I say about WHF review?

Enjoy your new bundle.

record_spot

What did I say about WHF review?

Enjoy your new bundle.

Yep, nailed it PP - giving Ted Hawkins' "Venice Beach Tapes" a run just now and just he and his guitar sound exactly right.

* Incidentally, those Ushers you mentioned the other day were given a dry run by WHF, but Hi Fi World loved them - five star review and they were one of their reference speakers for one of their reviewers for a while (in their range of speakers they used for reviews). I think they were £320 when they came out? One of the best hifi bargains of their day I think and still good now I'll wager...

Reactions: Al ears
Yep, nailed it PP - giving Ted Hawkins' "Venice Beach Tapes" a run just now and just he and his guitar sound exactly right.

* Incidentally, those Ushers you mentioned the other day were given a dry run by WHF, but Hi Fi World loved them - five star review and they were one of their reference speakers for one of their reviewers for a while (in their range of speakers they used for reviews). I think they were £320 when they came out? One of the best hifi bargains of their day I think and still good now I'll wager...
Certainly right about WHF only giving them 3 stars. I wasn't aware of HIFI World using them as their budget reference speakers. They were my favourite sub £400 speaker after demoing a pair years ago. But if anyone is looking for a affordable, flexible standmount they can do a lot worse than the Ushers.

matthewpianist

Great news that this has turned out so well @record_spot - it's often worth circumnavigating the reviews and trying something yourself. Cambridge packaging has always been excellent even going back as far as the A4 amplifier, and there's always little touches that make life easier. Build quality is generally very high also.

I do think reviews across the board tend to lack thoroughness, especially in giving the product time to show the full range of its abilities, or any quirks or faults that buyers may find to be a problem. The Roksan Kandy 3 CD-DI was a classic example for me. I have a lot of classical CDs including big box sets of artists' complete recorded outputs, and some of those come in at around 80 minutes. Every other CD player I've owned has had no issues playing these faultlessly, including the CDM4/19 machines such as the Alpha I'm using, but the Roksan failed with anything even slightly outside of Red Book standard. Roksan's response was that their transport is audio focused and sounds better than any other, but I think that's a load of rubbish, and this is exactly the sort of thing that should be picked up in a review. Those early Philips transports were also audio-focused and those machines sound every bit as good.

Packaging is something which most reviews don't address also. I've bought some things that have been very well packaged (anything from Cambridge, IAG, JBL or Q Acoustics) and others have been woefully inadequate (most Rega, Monitor Audio floorstanders, Acoustic Energy floorstanders). This has often made the difference between something arriving in factory condition or damaged. The restored 1970s Denton 2XPs I recently purchased were actually better packaged than many new products (not original packaging).

Gray

Another quick note on reviews... I see pretty much everything reviewed in the latest issue of HFN&RR is classed as an 'Outstanding Product'. What's that all about?!
An AV Forums reviewer was asked why so many 9 out of 10 reviews..
He responded by saying words to the effect that only the best get selected for review / publication.

Must surely reduce the validity with so many 'outstanding products' though 🤔

record_spot

Great news that this has turned out so well @record_spot - it's often worth circumnavigating the reviews and trying something yourself. Cambridge packaging has always been excellent even going back as far as the A4 amplifier, and there's always little touches that make life easier. Build quality is generally very high also.

I do think reviews across the board tend to lack thoroughness, especially in giving the product time to show the full range of its abilities, or any quirks or faults that buyers may find to be a problem. The Roksan Kandy 3 CD-DI was a classic example for me. I have a lot of classical CDs including big box sets of artists' complete recorded outputs, and some of those come in at around 80 minutes. Every other CD player I've owned has had no issues playing these faultlessly, including the CDM4/19 machines such as the Alpha I'm using, but the Roksan failed with anything even slightly outside of Red Book standard. Roksan's response was that their transport is audio focused and sounds better than any other, but I think that's a load of rubbish, and this is exactly the sort of thing that should be picked up in a review. Those early Philips transports were also audio-focused and those machines sound every bit as good.

Packaging is something which most reviews don't address also. I've bought some things that have been very well packaged (anything from Cambridge, IAG, JBL or Q Acoustics) and others have been woefully inadequate (most Rega, Monitor Audio floorstanders, Acoustic Energy floorstanders). This has often made the difference between something arriving in factory condition or damaged. The restored 1970s Denton 2XPs I recently purchased were actually better packaged than many new products (not original packaging).

Thanks Matthew - I'm pretty chuffed that it has too.

Been spinning a bunch more LPs today and this thing's really shining the more time it gets. Loosening up I guess. It's good enough that I might well even run with the onboard phono stage too. I'll give my Project Phono Box a run out this weekend, but - and I may well eat my words on Saturday night - I'm unconvinced that a £90 phono stage will better the one in the Cambridge, which itself is based on their own Duo. We'll see. I will swap the cartridges over (though even there, I'm warming to the VM95e in this setup.

I've thrown the lot at it - orchestral, rock, folk, female voice (the wonderful Isobel Campbell), on top of yesterday's initial spins and - this is not new owner's pride (though it's a smart looking thing, I'll give it that!), but I'd say it's one of my best hifi purchases full stop. Period. And I've been through tons over the years.

This sits up there with the Mission 75 series (of which I had the 751 and 752, the Sansui AU-217 / 717 amps, Onkyo's TX-8050 and TX-NR818, their own 752BD universal player I've had for nearly a decade now and it's still going strong and Tannoy's lovely DC4 (tiny) standmount. I've a sentimental nod to the NAD 3020A which my Dad bought me back in 1986 when my old Pioneer receiver died, although, if I'm brutally honest, the Sansui 217 is the better of the two (to my ears at least). And the Alva ST stands up well to all of that kit and I'd suggest a good few more in upper price brackets too.

I just can't quite comprehend how the magazine didn't give the deck the decency of a couple of days run-in. Maybe my route of turntable ---> speaker makes a difference, I don't know, but I will say that if a celestial somebody was to come down and say "hoi, you, that's it, enough with the electronics right?" I'd be good with that. It's that good.

Totally agree with you on the packaging side of things. I think Cambridge go well above and beyond the usual. I've had a few of their products over the years and agree with you on their approach. I must admit, opening the box up for the turntable yesterday was a surprise to find there was another one sitting right inside it!

An AV Forums reviewer was asked why so many 9 out of 10 reviews..
He responded by saying words to the effect that only the best get selected for review / publication.

Must surely reduce the validity with so many 'outstanding products' though 🤔
Well you're not going to get very far with a magazine / website that simply reviews everything as rubbish.... :)
Read, ingest then make up your own mind on what to audition.
Where would we be without these reviews?

record_spot

You have to understand the best reviewer is you...

Yes, I think I've worked that out after 45 years in the hobby, but the point of a review is to comment - reliably - on products to give us some pointers. They're a fat lot of good if they've tried them fresh out the box for half an hour then posted nonsense.

Darko posted a review on a Primaluna valve amp he'd had for nine months. NINE MONTHS!

I'm well aware of what I want from gear, I don't need any steer on that, what I want from a hifi review is the kind of insight you lash the cash on the magazine for (or Patreon, which is where my money's going just now thankfully)- that's what the review's all about - insight, and useful comment. The useful comment goes out the window when they can't be bothered reviewing the damn thing properly or in enough depth.

Or...the reason I dumped my WHF subscription several years ago.

Yes, I think I've worked that out after 45 years in the hobby, but the point of a review is to comment - reliably - on products to give us some pointers. They're a fat lot of good if they've tried them fresh out the box for half an hour then posted nonsense.

Darko posted a review on a Primaluna valve amp he'd had for nine months. NINE MONTHS!

I'm well aware of what I want from gear, I don't need any steer on that, what I want from a hifi review is the kind of insight you lash the cash on the magazine for (or Patreon, which is where my money's going just now thankfully)- that's what the review's all about - insight, and useful comment. The useful comment goes out the window when they can't be bothered reviewing the damn thing properly or in enough depth.

Or...the reason I dumped my WHF subscription several years ago.
Me to...

record_spot

Took the plunge and went for a new cartridge for the Alva ST. Staying with Audio Technica, but moved up a notch or two with the AT-VM540ML. It just arrived yesterday afternoon, but it's installed and running in. Only played a couple of LPs so far, but there's a noticeable step-up from the VM95E - wider stereo image, depth charged but very nimble bass and nice and clean treble without a hint of shrillness. Looking forward to what it'll be like in a day or two!

Bought from AV.com - great retailer incidentally. Ordered it late Thursday afternoon and with me a day later.

record_spot

IMG_20230726_195446.jpg

We appear to have a new arrival...!

My old Project Phono Box ground lead connector was duffed, so, without the means to spin a MC cartridge, I was suitably bereft. That and the AT-VM540ML and the Cambridge capacitance ratings were slightly out (meaning that my cartridge was overly bassy) made it seem like a fine opportunity to snag a Musical Fidelity X-LP that both offered a MC option plus fits nicely on my rack (ooer...!). Win win. Running it in now!

Last edited:

record_spot

Turns out the X-LP's a bit of a winner. Plus it fits well on the rack. Good focused bass that's tight and not bludgeoning its way across a record. The midrange is lovely and treble is clear without being shrill. I picked mine up in more or less mint condition for about £170. Money well spent. And it's good at low volume too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts