Vinyl spinning once more: Gyrodec

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
I have'nt read the whole thread but I used to own a Gyrodec se-technoarm A- trichord dino+psu..I don't know but as far as I can remember..Its a very good TT and need a "warmish" amp and speakers. Otherwise it wil sound like a good cd player.:)

that is worrying as the Elicit R is very transparent and very forward

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
No it isnt worrying Steve , Iceman used.... Tecnoarm ( silver wired ) , Trichord Dino ( on the forward side of things ). We have no idea what cart, amp or speakers. I would be really interested to read the missing parts of the set up. However ,it must take great skill to make any turntable sound like a ruddy ceedee regardless of amp/speakers/cart. :twisted:

floyd droid said:
No it isnt worrying Steve , Iceman used.... Tecnoarm ( silver wired ) , Trichord Dino ( on the forward side of things ). We have no idea what cart, amp or speakers. I would be really interested to read the missing parts of the set up. However ,it must take great skill to make any turntable sound like a ruddy ceedee regardless of amp/speakers/cart. :twisted:

Indeed :grin:

stevebrock said:
Looking at my existing deck and speakers I think a gyro would be a better upgrade than speakers - would you agree?

No - I'm sure the Gyro is a better TT but your amp needs better speakers. If you had a lesser deck I'd wholeheartedly agree. You said the dealer who let you have the Rega TT on dem stocks Totem. Go and listen to the Arros. Live a little dangerous. :)

floyd droid said:
Well he would be living dangerously with those ruddy things , one misplaced fa*t and they will topple over.

He'll have to keep it a "No sprout zone". :) One reason why I've been reluctant to buy the Arros, because of little'un charging around.

Seriously it'll be a good test to see how the RS3 stack up, and whether a speaker first upgrade is beneficial or not.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Steve has little uns too PP ( sorry if I'm talking out of turn here Steve ). I honestly think Steve should go for the Gyro , his heart is pretty much set on one. But on saying that I have stressed upon him to go for a dem , just incase !. Afaik his amp is a keeper and he isnt unhappy with his speakers.

So if he gets his TT section finaly sorted , with a cart/arm combo ( mibbe also a coil and phono) he is happy with , then his nut is clear to play speaker dems at a later date.

Byraway PP , are we in for a kit change ,noticed your sig has gone awol :grin:

floyd droid said:
Steve has little uns too PP ( sorry if I'm talking out of turn here Steve ). I honestly think Steve should go for the Gyro , his heart is pretty much set on one. But on saying that I have stressed upon him to go for a dem , just incase !. Afaik his amp is a keeper and he isnt unhappy with his speakers.

So if he gets his TT section finaly sorted , with a cart/arm combo ( mibbe also a coil and phono) he is happy with , then his nut is clear to play speaker dems at a later date.

Byraway PP , are we in for a kit change ,noticed your sig has gone awol :grin:

As I pointed out to him a week or so ago, they are £800 monitors with a £1600 amp. This would be the area, if I had his set-up, I'd look at first.

And as he could blag a pair of Arros, he's notjing to lose. Except for flactuf**ts.

Might be making an imminent change. Might not be. :twisted: If I do then I won't consult anyone here first (no disrespect to anyone here), but you'll know once it's made.

floyd droid said:
plastic penguin said:
If I do then I won't consult anyone here first (no disrespect to anyone here),

Probably the most sensible (part) post you have ever made.

Not sure whether that's a compliment or an insult... :?

There's no-way I want thoughts to be polluted. Not interested in brands I've never heard or likely to hear. Nor do I want to tramp around the country on bloody hi-fi expedition. Whatever I decide you'll hear about its magnificence. ;)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I am sure the Arro sound nice but really have set my stall out with the Rega they image nicely and the timing is impeccable and most important of all thru work acoustically in my room I really don't want to upset the applecart with a speaker change..... Yes they may be £800 monitors but bloody good ones! Have you demoed the RS3 PP?
Source first I think, the only decision is which arm for the Gyro
Lastly BigH I will stop one day but at the minute I'm not

stevebrock said:
I am sure the Arro sound nice but really have set my stall out with the Rega they image nicely and the timing is impeccable and most important of all thru work acoustically in my room I really don't want to upset the applecart with a speaker change..... Yes they may be £800 monitors but bloody good ones! Have you demoed the RS3 PP? Source first I think, the only decision is which arm for the Gyro Lastly BigH I will stop one day but at the minute I'm not

You asked me that question a week or so back. No, I haven't... let me repeat: I have no doubt the RS3 are fabulous speakers but a great £800 speaker has its limits -- even Rega!

I'd be hugely surprised if the Arros didn't blow them away. As most people would agree that speakers make the biggest difference, especially as your sources are currently are top-notch.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
stevebrock said:
Looking at my existing deck and speakers I think a gyro would be a better upgrade than speakers - would you agree?

I think you'd be better looking at the speakers. The RP6 is a cracking deck and silly value for money regarding performance, and you have a decent phono stage and cart. The Elicit-R is a very capable amplifier, so try a few speakers out :)

So is the Gyro worth the extra investment over a RP6 ?

Personal preference. Obviously with a Gyro SE you can add a different arm (SME) or the HR power supply, but they're very different sounding decks. Which one an individual will choose will come down to preference, and maybe even their system. I like the tighter, more precise sound of the Gyro SE at the Gyro price point, but many won't be able to ignore the sheer musicality of the RP6, despite its cheaper price point.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Some closeups! :grin:

10326486256_edfbe88ecb_b.jpg

10326413444_8d69bb8d54_b.jpg

10326437194_908380e08a_h.jpg

10330316913_c2a278eaa1_o.jpg

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Those pics are fascinating, I must say even my iphone camera picks up more detail than my eye can see.

Today is Gyro day! Having a demo. I fear for my wallet anyone wann but an RP6

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Those pics are fascinating, I must say even my iphone camera picks up more detail than my eye can see.

Today is Gyro day! Having a demo. I fear for my wallet anyone wann but an RP6

I have to admit, I was originally looking for a Tecnodec, but swayed by two features of the Gyro:

-Ability to change the armboard at a later date (SME, Jelco etc)

-Good investment/resale residules (however I feel this is likely to be my last TT)

And of course, it looks cool :rofl:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts