Vinyl spinning once more: Gyrodec

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
After a year without a turntable, we are spinning the black stuff once more!

Picked up my Gyrodec SE from Michell yesterday, great to see how they are made :grin:

My first TT was a Michell Focus One, and then a Luxman PD272 so I do seem to be attracted to nice looking spinners but this one actually sounds good, not perfect yet I think, needs a little tweaking (VTA etc) but the imaging is rock solid!

10044744576_6ea04d1d9c_b.jpg

10041066653_74eb16eab2_b.jpg

10041002116_be2da61d9e_b.jpg

10040953144_c2053e07d5_h.jpg

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
That is nice! I am tempted with one - maybe with a Tecnoarm but would be happy with a RB303 - what sort of oresentation does that cart give you? Your not the first to applaud the imaging of the Gyro!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
stevebrock said:
That is nice! I am tempted with one - maybe with a Tecnoarm but would be happy with a RB303 - what sort of oresentation does that cart give you? Your not the first to applaud the imaging of the Gyro!

The TecnoArm is great and in silver finish it perfectly complements the Gyro's aesthetics.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
The cart seems slightly bright, but not sure if this is down the the VTA not being ideal, there is also a little tilt to the bass.

Could be the cart. I found that the MC carts I tried were too bright for my liking. I think you need to spend £400+ on a MC to really sort that brightness out and see the benefits of that type of cart ( a Benz, for example). Personally, I may give MC a go again at some point in the future, but for now i'm really happy with my MM.

I'm sure me ol' matey Floydy doodle will be along to give you more, and better, advice than me :)

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
bretty said:
hoopsontoast said:
The cart seems slightly bright, but not sure if this is down the the VTA not being ideal, there is also a little tilt to the bass.

Could be the cart. I found that the MC carts I tried were too bright for my liking. I think you need to spend £400+ on a MC to really sort that brightness out and see the benefits of that type of cart ( a Benz, for example). Personally, I may give MC a go again at some point in the future, but for now i'm really happy with my MM.

I'm sure me ol' matey Floydy doodle will be along to give you more, and better, advice than me :)

Its also the first time I have used the MM/MC input on the Doge Pre, so its all new :rofl:

Its not like its bright in terms of un-listenable, its only a slight tilt.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Looking at my existing deck and speakers I think a gyro would be a better upgrade than speakers - would you agree?

No idea I am afraid, never heard a Rega deck at amy great length.

What size is your room? The only way up from RS3's would be to the RS7 going by my experience with the R3, R5 and R7.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
She is looking a little too ar*e down in the arm dept going from your first foatie Hoops. What cart is it byraway ?.

When you have a spare 25 clams get the clamp and report back .

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
bretty said:
Could be the cart. I found that the MC carts I tried were too bright for my liking. I think you need to spend £400+ on a MC to really sort that brightness out and see the benefits of that type of cart ( a Benz, for example).

A lot of mega buck carts can be a tad shrill ( treble lift ). But it all depends on whats behind em really Bretts if you get my drift. Thing is some cart manufacturers can go too far tother way. Ortofon Cadenza Black for instance has to be the most boring cart I've ever heard. But the Blue is an altogether different beast , sparkly but not over bright.

Benz are a good call , pretty even handed without boring the pants off ya. How do they manage that ,gawd knows.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
She is looking a little too ar*e down in the arm dept going from your first foatie Hoops. What cart is it byraway ?.

When you have a spare 25 clams get the clamp and report back .

Yes I know, I need to order the VTA adjuster from Michell.

Its an Ortofon MC10 Supreme.

I had the Michell clamp before on the Focus One, heard no different.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
After a year without a turntable, we are spinning the black stuff once more!

Picked up my Gyrodec SE from Michell yesterday, great to see how they are made :grin:

My first TT was a Michell Focus One, and then a Luxman PD272 so I do seem to be attracted to nice looking spinners but this one actually sounds good, not perfect yet I think, needs a little tweaking (VTA etc) but the imaging is rock solid!

10044744576_6ea04d1d9c_b.jpg

10041066653_74eb16eab2_b.jpg

10041002116_be2da61d9e_b.jpg

10040953144_c2053e07d5_h.jpg

Very seductive and sexy lighting techniques used for your pictures :clap: The Gyrodec will bring that out in any red blooded male ;)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Looking at my existing deck and speakers I think a gyro would be a better upgrade than speakers - would you agree?

I think you'd be better looking at the speakers. The RP6 is a cracking deck and silly value for money regarding performance, and you have a decent phono stage and cart. The Elicit-R is a very capable amplifier, so try a few speakers out :)

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
I had the Michell clamp before on the Focus One, heard no different.

Oh I did , badly warped record lifted my series iv clean out the groove * , lol , clamp sorted that out.

* well obv it lifted the stylus out the groove via the arm , before the pedants dive in.

Gravenhurst

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Very nice!

Hoping to join the Gyro club shortly probably with a tecnoarm (unless the Orbe really blows me away)

Does anyone have any recommendations for a cartridge because I have no idea at the moment?

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Gravenhurst said:
Very nice!

Hoping to join the Gyro club shortly probably with a tecnoarm (unless the Orbe really blows me away)

Does anyone have any recommendations for a cartridge because I have no idea at the moment?

The Ortofon 2M range are supposed to be an ideal starter for the Rega based arms, only had the 2M Red, found it a bit bright. The 2M Black on the other hand was lovely.

Gravenhurst

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
[/quote]

The Ortofon 2M range are supposed to be an ideal starter for the Rega based arms, only had the 2M Red, found it a bit bright. The 2M Black on the other hand was lovely.

[/quote]

Thanks for the advice

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
stevebrock said:

I think you'd be better looking at the speakers. The RP6 is a cracking deck and silly value for money regarding performance, and you have a decent phono stage and cart. The Elicit-R is a very capable amplifier, so try a few speakers out :)

So is the Gyro worth the extra investment over a RP6 ?

What do you gain sound wise ?

Lovely set up Hoops.........:clap: Oh, just noticed the chopping board......nice touch....:)

iceman16

I have'nt read the whole thread but I used to own a Gyrodec se-technoarm A- trichord dino+psu..I don't know but as far as I can remember..Its a very good TT and need a "warmish" amp and speakers. Otherwise it wil sound like a good cd player.:)

Gravenhurst said:
Very nice!

Nagaoka MP150 or Goldring 1042GX - you can always upgrade to an Orbe later. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts