Totem Arro: I need convincing....

As you all know I'm searching for ultimate upgrade (of sorts). I've recently listened to Spendors and I used to have MA RS6, and although my leader so far is PMC DB1S, I've heard some good reviews about Totems. I've always preferred floostanders because a) it gives you the extra bass and b) because I'm an old skinflint.[:D]

What would be the best amp to match Totem Arro? bare in mind I don't like a bass-heavy sound, generally neutral and well detailed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ta, pp

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
About the size of two large matchsticks with a disturbingly big sound and soundstage.

Bass is suprising (as in it was a suprise that they had any bass at all).

They probably needed a much better amp than I heard them demo'ed with (a Cyrus 6 of some kind) but it was only a casual demo because they happened to be playing at the time I went in the shop and I was intrigued. (Until I found out the price!)

Excellent conversation piece for a small room.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
PP I heard these a while back with the Arcam FMJ A32 integrated amp and they sounded sublime (as Chebby said amazing bass weight for match-stick thin speakers)!

IMO something a long the lines of the Arcam or even the Leema Pulse would drive them well.

What do you think your budget would be?

d_a_n1979:PP I heard these a while back with the Arcam FMJ A32 integrated amp and they sounded sublime (as Chebby said amazing bass weight for match-stick thin speakers)! IMO something a long the lines of the Arcam or even the Leema Pulse would drive them well. What do you think your budget would be?

Budget is around 800-900 give or take a 100 or so squid. These come up fairly often on auction sites, so wondering what would give the best synergy with my CD73T.

chebby:

About the size of two large matchsticks with a disturbingly big sound and soundstage.

Bass is suprising (as in it was a suprise that they had any bass at all).

They probably needed a much better amp than I had them demo'ed with (a Cyrus 6 of some kind) but it was only a casual demo because they happened to be playing at the time I went in the shop and I was intrigued. (Until I found out the price!)

Excellent conversation piece for a small room.

Cheers, chebby. It was the supermodel size that appealed to me - our living is medium sized and don't want a floorstander that's too in-ya-face, but works well DVDs.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Hmmm

I'd say Arcam again PP but I know youre probably wanting to go down a different route (although there is an FMJ A28 on the bay currently
emotion-5.gif
)

IMO the likes of a new Leema Pulse or a 2nd hand Roksan Caspian wont be far wrong

What about a 2nd hand Roksan Kandy LIII; saves you a few £££ which you could put into somewhere else in the system or save!

d_a_n1979:Hmmm I'd say Arcam again PP but I know youre probably wanting to go down a different route (although there is an FMJ A28 on the bay currently
emotion-5.gif
) IMO the likes of a new Leema Pulse or a 2nd hand Roksan Caspian wont be far wrong What about a 2nd hand Roksan Kandy LIII; saves you a few £££ which you could put into somewhere else in the system or save!

In some ways, I love the Kandy LIII, probably more than the K2. But that Caspian was so oooo....

A

Anonymous

Naim amps are a good match - if you do a search on their forum you'll find more info.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
They are very good speakers and, more importantly, very musical - you can forget they're there and just enjoy what you put on. I wouldn't worry about any particular amp making them "bass heavy" as they're not that kind of speaker - as with most small driver speakers I'd say use something with a high quality power supply to control them (and avoid over excursion at low frequencies) - Naim are quite decent despite the lowish output figures.

Thanks, gentlemen. I'll have to do something sooner or later, I'm getting slightly frustrated with my old set-up. It's okay in the main, just doesn't excite me like my A65+/RS6 combo did.

I don't want to buy a speaker/amp combo to post another thread a month later, I'm looking to upgrade my speakers etc etc. I've never once been disappointed with any hi-fi purchase, except for when I bought a Cambridge, but as soon as I got it home I knew it wasn't for me, so Richer Sounds took it back the following day and I bought the Alpha 7R. Hence why I'm a pain when choosing.

AEJim:They are very good speakers and, more importantly, very musical - you can forget they're there and just enjoy what you put on. I wouldn't worry about any particular amp making them "bass heavy" as they're not that kind of speaker - as with most small driver speakers I'd say use something with a high quality power supply to control them (and avoid over excursion at low frequencies) - Naim are quite decent despite the lowish output figures.

How do they differ sonically from the RS6s?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts