TB2is so far.

In the beginning….

Having had fairly extensive experience with DB1is, whether it was shop dems with Naim gear or at home with the Arcam and Leema, they are a staggering little speaker, and not too fussed about amplification. However, it's fair to say that a budget amp may struggle to make the most of these pocket rockets. The only reason why I didn't snap up the DB1s before now is two-fold: Firstly, Totem Arros and, secondly, because I'm so used to floorstanders the DB1i slightly lacked (obviously) when it came to bass crunch with DVDs, but music in general was balanced.

Impressed by the Totem Arros presentation, they were odds on for long periods to replace the RS6s, however, Mrs. P noticed that their tykey dimensions could become a liability --- great if you haven't any nippers or a marauding, slobbering Rottweiler to contend with (luckily we don't have the latter). After months of gnawing the cat's ear decided - correctly - the Totems wouldn't be a practical choice.

Broken principles[/b]

Well, well, well... I've always preached on this forum that stick to the rulebook and 'demo before parting with your hard earned money'. Nevertherless, this self-confessed lunacy tumbled head first through the double glazing when it came to the PMCs. Actually there is madness to my method: Looking at these TB2is logically, I sagely thought, "if the tonal qualities and crisp top-end mirrors that of the DB1is, with deeper bass blah blah blah..." there shouldn't be any real issues, except, perhaps, for speaker positioning. That was my corkscrew thinking in the whole process.

Going by my own staid principles I should've commandeered myself for the six o'clock walk for not hearing them first. This is somewhat a mixed metaphor but I'm sure you'll catch my drift.

To the meaty stuff

The first day after lugging them home they weren't a disappointment but, somehow, I expected the DB1's larger siblings to grab me by the short and curlies... but they didn't! They are an improvement over the Monitor Audios but not quite as much as originally thought. Had I made a mistake? Already the RS6s were purchased and I started to come out in a cold sweat for a while.

I needn't have concerned myself; for years I've always had tram line thinking: If it ain't broke... and subconsciously this must've been eating away like I've swallowed a malnurished piranha.

After a few days they were really showing their sonic mettle: The soundstage is big and textured with staggering imaging. The high frequencies are crisp but smooth, mirroring the midrange and bottom end. Ahhh... the bass is so tuneful, yet taut and fast without the slight portly attention-grabbing note exhibited by the RS6s. They have a natural ease with music playback. Regadless of musical styles they just seem at home with themselves - and play them really loud and the dynamic headroom is breathtaking: Crank up a good quality record, CD or DVD and they sound like they are playing for you; add these traits to the Leema's slightly honest (raw) presentation and it's the closest I've heard to a live performance, minus the ear piercing bellow of a my old Silver speakers.

To sum up the TB2is: Blistering. You really can go from silver to gold.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Love the write up PP... you seem to like your animal imagery

smiley-smile.gif

Really glad the risk paid off, it's always a squeeky bottom time when you first install that piece of kit

press play or drop the needle and wait to be wowed!

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
PP, you have perfectly described the things that make PMC speakers special especially the i series . :)

I am really glad you are enjoying what the TB2i's can do , but it comes as no surprise to me :grin: :rockout:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
The soundstage is big and textured with staggering imaging...

You might be able to get even more out of them.

Some of PMC's guidelines on loudspeaker positioning...

"Place the speakers so that the front face is forward of any object that protrudes into the room – a fire place, bookcase or television for example.

Ensure that stereo pairs of loudspeakers are equidistant from the listening position...

For example, if you are seated 3meters from the plane of your left/right loudspeakers, they should be positioned roughly 2metres apart. As a general rule, the soundstage width will diminish if the loudspeakers are any closer together and become disjointed if they are further apart, but we encourage experimentation within your own room.

Loudspeakers can be ‘toed-in” to improve stereo left/right imaging, so that the axis of each loudspeaker crossed approximately 50cm behind the primary listening position."

From what I recall of your room photos, you have just about 3 metres from a plane drawn just in front of the equipment racks / TV etc. (where they recommend the speaker's front panels should be) to your listening position.

"Toeing in'' so the axis of each speaker crosses the other 50cm behind the listener's head would require a bit of precision with a long (more than 3.5m) steel tape measure and someone to carefully align the centre axis of each speaker along it. (Maybe a chalked line along the top of each speaker so it won't mark the veneer.)

Must be worth a go - just the once - to hear what they sound like following PMCs advice. All a bit 'optimal' for the daily hurly-burly of Rottweilers and gnawed cats bounding around the place, but could be interesting (when things are quiet) to use as a starting point at least.

Oh, and the one everyone forgets, stick a spirit level on top of each speaker to ensure your tweeters are pointing the same way in the vertical plane. (And not one at your knees and another at the picture of aunt Mabel two feet up the wall behind you).

Only takes a couple of minutes to adjust the spikes once a final position is decided upon and the Blu-Tack has hardened.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
MattSPL said:
Do you have them on heavy stands?

Yes, they are quite weighty but no idea the make. I looked everywhere for a name or symbol/badge... but nothing. Don't know whetjher they are hindering the overall sound or not. It's something I'll look into at a later date.

Once they are solid and stable they should be fine.

A

Anonymous

Staggering, breathtaking and blistering.

Someody has been reading too many What HiFi? reviews :)

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Your post is seriously tempting me... :?

once I sort out a better source for CD playback the RS6 would probably be the weakest part in my chain, so next year when upgraditis hits again I'll have to go and have a listen!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
cannibal_ox77 said:

once I sort out a better source for CD playback the RS6 would probably be the weakest part in my chain, so next year when upgraditis hits again I'll have to go and have a listen!

Next year you will be very unlikely to find any bargain priced, ex-demo TB2is as PP did. They went out of production last year when PMC introduced a new range and replaced them with their new Twenty .22s.

chebby said:
cannibal_ox77 said:

Next year you will be very unlikely to find any bargain priced, ex-demo TB2is as PP did. They went out of production last year when PMC introduced a new range and replaced them with their new Twenty .22s.

Absolutely -- s/hand or bust.

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
If there's any floorstanding speakers under £1k that are *significantly* better than the RS6's I might find a stepping stone until those 22's or 23's are end of line...

cannibal_ox77 said:
If there's any floorstanding speakers under £1k that are *significantly* better than the RS6's I might find a stepping stone until those 22's or 23's are end of line...

You won't find anything brand new *significantly* better that the RS6s. For that you need to look at the s/hand market as in PMC GB1is ot Totem Arros.

But really depends if you're looking at a upgrade or specifically at speakers. The reason I say this is because those RS6 will be a different animal with a better amp: Caspian, Creek Destiny, Audio Analogue, Arcam A38. But, like speakers, won't come cheap.

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I underestimate my RS6? But I thought speakers in the £1k-2k bracket would provide more of an upgrade in sound over an amp in the same sort of price range, the Pearl Lite may not be everyone's cup of tea but i love the presentation and it's powerful enough.

I like the look of the tannoy precision 6.2 - style does play a big part when it comes to convincing the mrs...

cannibal_ox77 said:
Maybe I underestimate my RS6? But I thought speakers in the £1k-2k bracket would provide more of an upgrade in sound over an amp in the same sort of price range, the Pearl Lite may not be everyone's cup of tea but i love the presentation and it's powerful enough.

I like the look of the tannoy precision 6.2 - style does play a big part when it comes to convincing the mrs...

Many people on here do. But having had RS6s since 2007 I've heard them with pretty much most of the popular integrated amp (mostly below £1000) and they are pretty much faultless at the s/hand prices. Indeed they need careful matching, so avoid any amp that maybe proned to a fatiguing listen. That said your Marantz should have the guts and midrange solidity to make them sing.

I originally used a entry-level Arcam and sounded very balanced tonally. Wasn't until I purchased the Leema (and also had them rigged with a Roksan Caspian) that they became a totally different proposition. They need an amp that bosses them about, in terms of grip on the top and bottom end IMO.

To hear them at their best think Arcam A38, Creek 5350 and Destiny, any of the Roksans (K2 and Caspian), and assuming your sources have a smooth presentation then Leema Pulse. The Creek Evo2 sounded fabulous with them but I don't think that'll be an improvement on your Marantz.

It's true they get mullered on here by the 'tizz boom' brigade, but with the right kit - in the sub-£1000 price bracket - they are still hard to beat.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Congrats on your new babies and thank you for the sincere and brilliant write up. I enjoyed reading it twice already. :clap:

The malnourished piranha bit is my fav! :grin: The burden of knowledge almost got you this time. Phew!

I hope you report further on as you settle in completly. Unlike amps and source components, speakers need few hundred hours of play time to start sounding their best.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Have to confess - although I really like the sound of these TB2s, the thorn in my side is the stands. Can't get used to the "scaffolding" look. After all the years of floorstanders I find the stands hideous.

Hey ho.

I am sure a good used pair of FB1i's would completely cure this problem . ;) :grin:

The same drive units feeding a larger floorstanding transmission line .

0a1w.jpg

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Have to confess - although I really like the sound of these TB2s, the thorn in my side is the stands. Can't get used to the "scaffolding" look. After all the years of floorstanders I find the stands hideous.

Hey ho.

Could you post a pic of your stands?

I don't mind the look of stands in general, but a nice floor stander can look very well.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

Hey ho.

I don't mind the look of stands in general, but a nice floor stander can look very well.

MattSPL said:
plastic penguin said:

Hey ho.

Once I get a camera I'll certainly do that.

In the meantime, similar to these but with a narrower upright.

Electro said:
plastic penguin said:

Hey ho.

I am sure a good used pair of FB1i's would completely cure this problem . ;) :grin:

The same drive units feeding a larger floorstanding transmission line .

0a1w.jpg

I know - the only thing is the size of the cabinet may just look overbearing, hence why I was initially looking at Totem Arros. Maybe further down the line a pair of GB1 might fit the bill, although the mid/bass driver is smaller.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts