cd player used recommendations - slim budget - finger hovering on ebay waiting :)

nickyp

Feb 13, 2023
Visit site
Hi Experts and other knowlegeable folks. I'm moving in with my partner and she has a bunch of CDs so I would like to add a secondhand CD player to the system. I've an old NAD 320 running Mordaunt Short Floor standing speakers. Mostly streaming but with a decent budget turntable (also in the loft with some Vinyl - collection likely to grow too!)

an ebay purchase recommendation for a CD player - in the £50-100 range second hand would be fab and make her very happy. I might dig my CDs out of the loft too.

all genres of music except classical - Jazz, Rock, Blues, Funk. blah blah blah

thanks very much

Gray

Hi Experts and other knowlegeable folks. I'm moving in with my partner and she has a bunch of CDs so I would like to add a secondhand CD player to the system. I've an old NAD 320 running Mordaunt Short Floor standing speakers. Mostly streaming but with a decent budget turntable (also in the loft with some Vinyl - collection likely to grow too!)

an ebay purchase recommendation for a CD player - in the £50-100 range second hand would be fab and make her very happy. I might dig my CDs out of the loft too.

all genres of music except classical - Jazz, Rock, Blues, Funk. blah blah blah

thanks very much
Welcome Nick.
Look out for Marantz models - if you could confirm all is well with them first, so much the better.

Another option might be to use the digital output from a DVD player - put it through a decent, low cost DAC and you're away...
The DAC might also benefit whatever you stream from.

Welcome to the forum.

Used items and eBay in particular are fast-moving, hence I believe specific models are hard to recommend. Local items and collection only (especially unboxed) are much cheaper because the market is hugely reduced.

At that price it’s a complete gamble. It might work for ten years or ten minutes. But I’d look for ‘proper’ Hifi brands like Sony, Marantz, Philips, Yamaha, rather than own brands like Matsui.

Look for a bright display, the drawer opening and closing without clicks or jerks, and quick access of tracks. Many older machines have missing remotes, so check if that matters to you.

Reactions: WayneKerr

nickyp

Feb 13, 2023
Visit site
there are plenty of older denon, marantz, spotted an arcam for about £70 - yep I get that working may be 10 mins or 10 years although I'd prefer the latter obvs! Nothing locally on gumtree within 20 miles unfortunately.

matthewpianist

Marantz is often the best option in this circumstance. Although elderly, the CD52 variants mentioned above are very good and repairable too, but there's plenty of choice - CD48, CD6001-7... Philips players are often very similar and can also be excellent, similarly with Rotel.

Longevity with any CD player will vary and it's always a risk buying an older player.

Reactions: WayneKerr
I bought a Marantz CD52 MkII SE from ebay just over a year ago for £90. All I needed to do was replace the belt on the drawer (a ten minute job using a belt which cost a tenner). You'll be hard pressed to buy a better player for the money.
Funnily enough I have exactly this model from c. 1993 which I bought when I got a job in London. It needs a new belt, but is otherwise as bright as a button!

Here it is a couple of years ago, with my Primare amp, doing duty at a relative’s house.
37D26949-E446-4D7B-B215-4F5DF4071443.png

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts