The active speakers club

Page 45 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Glad you like them too. *ok* 

A lot smoother than i expected

Don't tell drummerman. 

This is s good piece of kit btw
The headphone amp is very good also.

So now i need cables for the sub. I need xlr male(sub end) to rca(pre end) as it only has one set of balanced xlr outs and they are for the monitors.

Im going to get 2 sets of wire as my sub has a left and right input. This way according to manual i should have 6db more volume and is also recommended by the supplier.

Im going for the same star quad van damme male xlr to rca as its so good and funny enough also recommended by benchmark themselves.

See this interesting note to hifi users from them:

Note to hifi users:
If you are a hi-fi user, beware of the pseudo-scientific false claims of overpriced and underperforming hi-fi cables. Avoid these "hi-fi" cables and equip your system with the finest professional cables available. We offer our professional cables in lengths and types that are appropriate for home hi-fi systems. You will save money while getting the very best performance available.

Ive always known this but good call again on the starquad.

Its so refreshing dealing with pro studio shops now.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Glad you like them too. *ok*

Don't tell drummerman.

This is s good piece of kit btw The headphone amp is very good also.

So now i need cables for the sub. I need xlr male(sub end) to rca(pre end) as it only has one set of balanced xlr outs and they are for the monitors.

Ideally: Benchmark DAC3 >xlr> Subwoofer >xlr/trs> Monitors

But I take it the sub doesn't have balanced in and out? That is odd.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

Don't tell drummerman. 

Ideally: Benchmark DAC3 >xlr> Subwoofer >xlr/trs> Monitors

Subs has female xlr connections only x2 but i was already using the balanced xlr for the monitors so just never thought of changing it.

Would it really matter?
Ill have to order rca to xlr anyway so i can try it both ways once its up and running.

Edit the main minitors i intend to get in a few months will only have xlr inputs also like the sub

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

Don't tell drummerman. 

Subs has female xlr connections only x2 but i was already using the balanced xlr for the monitors so just never thought of changing it.

Would it really matter?
Ill have to order rca to xlr anyway so i can try it both ways once its up and running.

Edit the main minitors i intend to get in a few months will only have xlr inputs also like the sub

It doesn't matter sound wise, but I wouldn't sleep at night knowing I didn't have full balanced connection.

BTW Which monitors you plan on getting? Or is too early for spoilers?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

Don't tell drummerman. 

Would it really matter?

It doesn't matter sound wise, but I wouldn't sleep at night knowing I didn't have full balanced connection.

I need to hear the 7 series with the 8 inch drivers first as they could be great. But im pretty made up with atc actives (pro versions)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Glad you like them too. *ok*

Don't tell drummerman.

Ideally: Benchmark DAC3 >xlr> Subwoofer >xlr/trs> Monitors

Would it really matter? Ill have to order rca to xlr anyway so i can try it both ways once its up and running.

I need to hear the 7 series with the 8 inch drivers first as they could be great. But im pretty made up with atc actives (pro versions)

Are there any active big ATCs in the £3-4K range? Would be interesting to compare these two pro companies active offerings.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

Don't tell drummerman. 

Would it really matter? Ill have to order rca to xlr anyway so i can try it both ways once its up and running.

Are there any active big ATCs in the £3-4K range? Would be interesting to compare these two pro companies active offerings.

Ive compared all the pro's excluding the 150's

The only pros for that price would be the 20asl. Atc prices are very expensive but when you consider they are hand built to a very high standard in the uk, they are built like tanks to last and they keep the ptice 2nd hand, they are worth the extra. But its still not cheap.

50s and 100s are double the cost. Its a lot of money.

Listening to all of them together is quite an education.

My favourite are the 100s but the 50s would suit the size of my room better.

I may just go for 20s for now as they are awesome.

And ill get 100s or 50s later stage as im too impatient.

For centre speaker im going to build a passive wilmslow audio horizontal with atc mid range. And 2 x atc 9 inchers.
And i already have the atc sub.

I reckon ill be able to rival the movie house for sound quality after that.

This is why its very important to hear the 7 series also as i think they could also be good value and quality.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
(Not trying to play the devil's advocate) I'm reading some banter on high end studio monitors here, if anyone interested.

Sometimes the best monitors with lower distortion are not the best monitors to record on as they also might sound bad on other speakers after.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
(Not trying to play the devil's advocate) I'm reading some banter on high end studio monitors here, if anyone interested.

Sometimes the best monitors with lower distortion are not the best monitors to record on as they also might sound bad on other speakers after.

"Distortion - the action of giving a misleading account or impression."

Considering studio monitors are the windows through which the engineer analyzes his work, distortion can never be a good thing. However, as I read interesting discussions between studio pros, I see it's a way more complex matter.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

Considering studio monitors are the windows through which the engineer analyzes his work, distortion can never be a good thing. However, as I read interesting discussions between studio pros, I see it's a way more complex matter. 

There is a great video on youtube id like to show you but ill have to find it tomorrow. Im at work and cant have good internet.
Remind me if i forget.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

There is a great video on youtube id like to show you but ill have to find it tomorrow. Im at work and cant have good internet. Remind me if i forget.

thumbs_up.gif

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
https://youtu.be/MTQ3j70P9es

He was refering to grot-boxes when he explained the need for smaller monitors in combo with big ones. NS-10's are grot-boxes.

Andrewjvt said:
https://youtu.be/Ny90DAxl1EI

KMR also carry ME Geithain, similar prices as ATC. Worth giving them a listen too, learn more about monitors and sound reproduction.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
https://youtu.be/MTQ3j70P9es

He was refering to grot-boxes when he explained the need for smaller monitors in combo with big ones. NS-10's are grot-boxes.

Andrewjvt said:
https://youtu.be/Ny90DAxl1EI

KMR also carry ME Geithain, similar prices as ATC. Worth giving them a listen too, learn more about monitors and sound reproduction.

There is a picture with pete townshend with those yamaha ns 10..

Ill look up those other monitor you mentioned.
I cant remember the name of the chap or studio but one of them even uses our little 305s.

Im going with friend on monday to demo many different studio monitors in london.

Ill report back after

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
But I wouldn't listen to my music on them. Too nasty and tonnally incorrect.

305s very smooth, neutral and understated sound. A lot of times I forget I'm using them. There's just sound playing from somewhere. When I want exciting I fire up the passive white coffins, exhaust myself in an hour, turn them off, go back to the 305s, wait for tinitus to quiet down.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
But I wouldn't listen to my music on them. Too nasty and tonnally incorrect. 

305s very smooth, neutral and understated sound. A lot of times I forget I'm using them. There's just sound playing from somewhere. When I want exciting I fire up the passive white coffins, exhaust myself in an hour, turn them off, go back to the 305s, wait for tinitus to quiet down.
Are your white floor standers?

TRENDING THREADS