SPEAKERS sorted by how they Sound

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
kukulec said:
1. Slightly foward of neutral - Elac FS 147 and all the Elacs with Jet 3

2. Fairly Neutral - Elacs with Jet 5

3. Slightly Warmer than neutral - Elacs for US market (debut, uni-fi)

I could see the same issue at the amplifiers.

No basic system is perfect. Elac are on the cooler side of the spectrum and if the list gets people interested in different brands, so much the better.

It's also a place where very informed folk, such as yourself, can give extra detail and make corrections....which is a good thing in my book.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Perhaps change the title to "SPEAKERS sorted by how they Sound to CnoEvil" and it will skip the redundant criticism that's piling in. It's obviously a subjectively curated list, but ppl will still object as if the laws of physics are violated.
As a huge sweeping statement of a generalistion about the house sound of the respective manufacturers, Cno's original post in this thread is a fair summary.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
You missed Dali but depending on which of the Dali speakers you would put in which class but please do not say bright and too forward as this is not true in regards of some of the models Dali makes and I can only mention the ones I’ve heard which are the budget Dali zenser 3s , 1 s , Dali opticon 6s , opticon 8 , rubicon 5s , rubicon 6s .

It seems as you go up the range so does the quality of sound and this is manly floor standing speakers with different driver sizes and cabinets

Dali opticon 6s sounds clear or neutral and detailed with a hint of warmth then when you go to the Dali opticon 8s it’s the same again but maybe a little richer but still on the natural size but basically the same as the Yamaha A-S3000 there are differences between the Yamaha A-S2100 and the Yamaha A-S3000 .

So basically when it comes down to it if you match say the Dali opticon 8s with the wrong amplifier say a amplifier that would add to brightness then maybe this is way people say Dali are bright and forward which isn’t true it’s about careful parting of speaker and amplifier .

And of course what people translate the sound as and opinions *smile*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
You missed Dali but depending on which of the Dali speakers you would put in which class but please do not say bright and too forward as this is not true in regards of some of the models Dali makes and I can only mention the ones I’ve heard which are the budget Dali zenser 3s , 1 s , Dali opticon 6s , opticon 8 , rubicon 5s , rubicon 6s .

It seems as you go up the range so does the quality of sound and this is manly floor standing speakers with different driver sizes and cabinets

Dali opticon 6s sounds clear or neutral and detailed with a hint of warmth then when you go to the Dali opticon 8s it’s the same again but maybe a little richer but still on the natural size but basically the same as the Yamaha A-S3000 there are differences between the Yamaha A-S2100 and the Yamaha A-S3000 .

So basically when it comes down to it if you match say the Dali opticon 8s with the wrong amplifier say a amplifier that would add to brightness then maybe this is way people say Dali are bright and forward which isn’t true it’s about careful parting of speaker and amplifier .

In fact I didn't....and what's more....it's in the section that matches your description. *preved*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

In fact I didn't....and what's more....it's in the section that matches your description. *preved*
sorry Cnoevil I must of missed it No 3

I found that when you start looking at rubicon 6s they came across a little more richer so not sure how the epicons would sound but at a guess richer still

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
This list will be updated, added to, or changed as necessary - All feedback and further suggestions welcome.

1. Slightly foward of neutral

- Focal; Triangle; Monitor Audio; Elac

2. Fairly Neutral

- ATC; PMC; Previous Kef Ref; Gamut; Tannoy; Neat; Acoustic Energy; Usher; Totem; Vivid

3. Slightly Warmer than neutral

- Dynaudio; Kef Ref/LS50; ProAc; Diapason; Q Acoustics; B&W; Dali; Linn

4. Smoother and Richer

- Opera; Rega; Epos; Kef R Series; Audio Physic; Spendor; Sonus Faber

5. Old School/Traditional

- Harbeth; Spendor Classic; Audio Note; Classic Sonus Faber

You can add "Leema Acoustics" speakers under 1.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
CnoEvil said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Wharfedale and Cambridge speakers ?

I've placed Wharfedale under "Smoother and Richer".

Not sure what to do with Cambridge Audio...Neutral?
not sure what they sound like but they do quite a big range of speakers

Looking about at reviews, I'm putting them in "Slightly Warmer than Neutral".

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Vladimir said:
Perhaps change the title to "SPEAKERS sorted by how they Sound to CnoEvil" and it will skip the redundant criticism that's piling in. It's obviously a subjectively curated list, but ppl will still object as if the laws of physics are violated.
As a huge sweeping statement of a generalistion about the house sound of the respective manufacturers, Cno's original post in this thread is a fair summary.

....and that is precisely what it is meant to be. Nothing more and nothing less.

Using a wine analogy....as a novice, a list of the most of common ones, what you can expect them to taste like and a guide as to what food to drink them with, is a useful starting point.

Rather than put yourself at the total mercy of a wine waiter, who might be a good Sommelier, or just some Local Joe that they've brought in for the evening (with the express instruction, to either get shot of their undrinkable stuff, or open the expensive barrel).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Klipsch , mission speakers

I've put Klipsch into Cat.1....but am happy to move it if I'm wrong.

Not sure where to put Mission, which I haven't heard since the late 70s/Early 80s. *unknw*

Strictly Stereo

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Yes it is, but you have to start somewhere...and to a degree, it's comparative.

IMO There are basic sonic traits that there is broad consensus on. eg. The Kef R Series sound smoother and more forgiving than the XQ Series.

Perhaps you could define what you mean by each of the category labels? It has been my experience that some of these terms mean different things to different people.

https://www.axiomaudio.com/blog/defining_speaker_sound/

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Pretty good overall but I have to disagree with many you put in the category 4 list and one in the 3.

Rega, Kef R Series, Audio Physic, Spendor, and Wharfedale

I don't believe any of these belong in cetegory 4. The newest models from Rega, Wharfedale, and Spendor belong in Caregory 3. Audio Physic and Kef should be in caregory 2.

B&W should be in category 2.

Just my opnion.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Strictly Stereo said:
Perhaps you could define what you mean by each of the category labels? It has been my experience that some of these terms mean different things to different people.

Another fair point.

Here is a good "Sounds Like" Glossary: https://www.stereophile.com/reference/50/index.html

In General, I had to start with a baseline, with Speakers that are generally considered "Fairly Neutral" (Free From Coloration) ie No.2. Then have the other catagories in comparison to that.

!. These are more forwad sounding speakers, with a more aggresive Treble...often with an increased Presence Range, making them sound highly detailed and exciting (or tiring, depanding on taste). Are more likely to sound clinical, so need careful matching.

2. Fairly Neutral and free from coloration...usually measure fairly flat and sound clean and open. No rose tinting here.

3. Very slightly more forgiving, both of recordings and other kit.

4. These are speakers that sound more refined, often with a smoother Treble and/or warmer/fuller Bass...often regarded as more organic/musical.

5. These are speakers that are the most forgiving, often using thin-walled design, with a fuller, richer presentation. Great for Classical/Acoustic, but can sacrifice liveliness/openess.

It should be noted that all speakers in each group sound different to each other...and there are of course speakers that are right on the borderline between groups (depending on connecting equipment/personal judgement).

So basically you are going from, Forward/Lively -> Rich/Smooth....and passing through Neutral.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Strictly Stereo said:
CnoEvil said:
Yes it is, but you have to start somewhere...and to a degree, it's comparative.

IMO There are basic sonic traits that there is broad consensus on. eg. The Kef R Series sound smoother and more forgiving than the XQ Series.

Kinda like this. Click pic to zoom.

7JXWb13.jpg

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
davidf said:
For your consideration Cno...

I’d put Ophidian in 2, and Amphion in 3. I’d also put Eclipse in 2 as well, and Larsen belongs to 2 more so than 3 as well. I can’t decide whether the Heco Direkt belong to 3 or 4 - somewhere between!

Now added.....the only one of those I've heard is Eclipse and I agree with 2.

There is no in between, so I've gone with 3. *dash1* If this isn't right, let me know. *unknw*

As someone who is familiar with a lot of this list, would you, by and large, agree with it.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Happy_Listener said:
Pretty good overall but I have to disagree with many you put in the category 4 list and one in the 3.

Rega, Kef R Series, Audio Physic, Spendor, and Wharfedale

I don't believe any of these belong in cetegory 4. The newest models from Rega, Wharfedale, and Spendor belong in Caregory 3. Audio Physic and Kef should be in caregory 2.

B&W should be in category 2.

Just my opnion.

Thank you for your input.

Given the large amount of variables in all this, I have to cling onto anything that is reasonably consistant....which is "me" and how I interpret what I hear. This means that if I'm wrong, at least I'm likely to be consistantly wrong...so comparisons are still possible.

With Speakers that I'm very familiar with, I am unlikely to move them. I am happy to move ones that I am not so familiar with, if an owner can convince me I got it wrong.

I also appreciate, that if a brand changes its house sound since I heard their product, I might be wrong....but it is my experience, that a brand may improve their speakers, they are unlikely to distance themselves from the USP that they are known for.

So taking the brands you listed, I am very familiar with most of them and reasonably familiar with others.

- I have heard the new Regas...and even though they are a little more open than the previous models, it is not enough to lift them out of that catagory....a comparison to the LS50s will show this.

- I am very familiar with the R Series and I feel strongly that it is on the warmer darker side (which is why I like it). If you compare to the New Refs/LS50s, they are less clean and open (which is why they are different groups).

- I have heard Audio Physic a couple of times and on each occasion, the sound was "easy on the ear" and that was through a Bel Canto Amp.

- All Spendor models I have heard, like the A6 and ST, have been musically satisfying, with no forwardness at all. I haven't heard the very recent models, but Spendor imo are unlikely to have stepped away from what makes them Spendor - maybe more detailed/cleaner/tighter bass in the new models...but still retaining that organic musicality which puts them in that group. This is a big complement in my book. Saying that, if the likes of the D7/D9 have really opened up the sound (in the same way Kef has with their Refs), I might change it for their more expensive models.

- I haven't heard recent Wharfedales and B&W, so am open to moving them, if your position gets supprt.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Canton had the traditional German Taunus saund, a loudness saddled FR curve, with pitched extreemes. Very exciting, meaty yet airy and dynamic sound, but can be too much for smaller rooms prone to nasty reflections.

Things have changed with Frank Göbl as their chief designer (and premier weird eyewear promoter). They still have the fat tight bassy coloration, but go very neutral onwards. It seems to be 'in tune' with the JBL/Harman philosophy of speaker-room interaction.

Designers change the house sound. When Andrew Jones entered Elac the signature went towards detailed and forward, a more contemporary choice aka 'modern hi-fi sound'. Some brands stick to their guns regardless who the engineer at the helm is. Example Dynaudio, which always had a darker aesthetic to them since I can remember. They can feel like unable to open up to their true potential with some kit and music preferences.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts