try active speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm aware of DM5, however 9's are the way to go for me... thanks guys for some dac/ amp/ headphones recommendations.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Ddc, there you go again! AVI are a tiny company little known selling a handful of speakers. I'd imagine ATC, Linn and B&O are far far better known and sell squillions more speakers, plus they are reputable companies widely supported.

Other point - boomy bass is a result of poor cabinet design, and can thus occur in both active and passive speakers.

Ah, Al, nice to hear from you. Your 'empty room' syndrome seems to be getting worse, you need to watch that.

My post was in context, ie active speakers under £1.5-2k, if you can find me any ATC, Linn or B&O in that price range I would love to hear them.

Secondly re boomy bass, I never sugested otherwise, in fact I made it quite clear that some active speakers could be pretty poor and were not up to the standard required by any hi-fi listener, boomy bass being just one of their problems.

Incidentally, direct connection of an amplifier to a bass loudspeaker can lead to a higher effective damping factor so it is entirely possible that an actively driven bass driver could be less boomy than a passive equivelent, but then you knew that already didn't you?

John Duncan

Apparently it's cheap drivers that boom now, not passive crossovers per se. And apparently, that can be a *good* thing and can make one's cheapest speaker sound almost as good as one's most expensive one (despite the port noise, but nobody will notice it). Of course, passive speaker manufacturers are wasting their time as apparently Apple earbuds sound better than all of them...

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Apparently it's cheap drivers that boom now, not passive crossovers per se. And apparently, that can be a *good* thing and can make one's cheapest speaker sound almost as good as one's most expensive one (despite the port noise, but nobody will notice it). Of course, passive speaker manufacturers are wasting their time as apparently Apple earbuds sound better than all of them...

Seriously JD? Poorly designed speakers have always sounded carp, nothing changes.

I think the only 'port' involved is the stuff you have been drinking since lunch..... :grin:

John Duncan

davedotco said:
John Duncan said:

Seriously JD? Poorly designed speakers have always sounded carp, nothing changes.

I think the only 'port' involved is the stuff you have been drinking since lunch..... :grin:

I'm only quoting what I've read from those who 'know'. Though if what they 'know' is that Apple earbuds are the pinnacle of audio design, then you might have to question anything else they might say, obviously...

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
The boom comment was in reply to Almkaatz's comment, which comes straight from the HDD Bible.

No offence, but have you heard the AVI speakers you've been recommending?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
davedotco said:
John Duncan said:

I'm only quoting what I've read from those who 'know'. Though if what they 'know' is that Apple earbuds are the pinnacle of audio design, then you might have to question anything else they might say, obviously...

Come on John, don't sink to the level.

While I personally think the standard Apple earbuds are not only uncomfortable and sound like they could have been bought in Poundland, the ADMs are indeed excellent and a perfect choice for anyone who wants a system that just requires a digital or analogue source plugging in and requires a traditional box with grilles.

Although if I was buying again I would probably go for the Genelec 8040s. More expensive and need a DAC/Pre, but mighty fine speakers (If you can live with the looks).

John Duncan

fr0g said:
John Duncan said:
davedotco said:
John Duncan said:

Come on John, don't sink to the level.

While I personally think the standard Apple earbuds are not only uncomfortable and sound like they could have been bought in Poundland, the ADMs are indeed excellent and a perfect choice for anyone who wants a system that just requires a digital or analogue source plugging in and requires a traditional box with grilles.

Although if I was buying again I would probably go for the Genelec 8040s. More expensive and need a DAC/Pre, but mighty fine speakers (If you can live with the looks).

There was me thinking that audio manufacturer BS should be called out when required.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing KEF's active desktop/stand mount with built in Airplay and DLNA, which feels like a *real* step forward in domestic hifi usability.

Further, the Genelecs I heard recently sounded amazing with voices. I think chebby should get some.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Fr0g, you've always struck me as one of the few balanced people on the other site, and one who is respected even by the GG, but I'd have to say that, like every other speaker including my Maggies, the AVIs aren't going to be perfect if you don't like their sound. That's why listening and comparing is such a good idea, but so difficult with that brand as they are such small fish who shun reviews, too.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
lpv said:
I'm aware of DM5, however 9's are the way to go for me... thanks guys for some dac/ amp/ headphones recommendations.

How are you going to connect the Mac mini/MBP? Do you already have either one or both?

It would be worth considering an Airport Express or ATV if you don't want or need to be directly connected to the speakers and would certainly give your MBP its portability back, although it doesn't really matter too much were the Mac mini is I suppose. You also then gain a bit of extra functionality of either a network extender and print server, in the form of the AEX and video streaming in the ATV.

The Mac mini makes a great music server and can be controlled by the MBP in screen share mode and iTunes can be controlled by an Android or iOS remote app. In turn, other Apple devices can share the iTunes library on the Mac mini, so you can access it all over the home if your wifi signal permits.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Fr0g, you've always struck me as one of the few balanced people on the other site, and one who is respected even by the GG, but I'd have to say that, like every other speaker including my Maggies, the AVIs aren't going to be perfect if you don't like their sound. That's why listening and comparing is such a good idea, but so difficult with that brand as they are such small fish who shun reviews, too.
Totally agree with "listen and compare".

As for "respected". Well that's a surprise, one thing I always felt with saying it how I see it is that nobody is happy.

And no, of course ADMs are not for everybody. I use mine as computer speakers as I listen mostly at the computer :) As such they are extremely good. And with a sub, they are excellent main system speakers too. And good value. Luckily the market is (at last) waking up to the advantages of actives (when it comes to traditional box-speakers) and there will be more competition in the home-speaker active market. That's been the problem and why Avi get mentioned so often. They have had the market (what there is) to themselves rather, especially given their sales model which means they are a lot cheaper.

I really would love to hear some Maggies or other panel speakers too, but it aint gonna for a while. I hear many good things about them though, and I could accomodate them, even if I would rather not have to start worrying about amps again... :)

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Overdose said:
lpv said:

How are you going to connect the Mac mini/MBP? Do you already have either one or both?

It would be worth considering an Airport Express or ATV if you don't want or need to be directly connected to the speakers and would certainly give your MBP its portability back, although it doesn't really matter too much were the Mac mini is I suppose. You also then gain a bit of extra functionality of either a network extender and print server, in the form of the AEX and video streaming in the ATV.

The Mac mini makes a great music server and can be controlled by the MBP in screen share mode and iTunes can be controlled by an Android or iOS remote app. In turn, other Apple devices can share the iTunes library on the Mac mini, so you can access it all over the home if your wifi signal permits.

I think I'll set mac mini as a permanent music dedicated streamer via AEX or cable. Haven't decided yet, but thanks for the advice.

... this AVI sub is tempting too..

do you use one?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
lpv said:
Overdose said:
lpv said:

I think I'll set mac mini as a permanent music dedicated streamer via AEX or cable. Haven't decided yet, but thanks for the advice.

... this AVI sub is tempting too..

do you use one?

No, not the sub, I don't really have the room or the budget, but if I did, I'd need to hear the latest incarnation of the ADM9s, as they have different drivers to mine and supposedly dig a little deeper. I wouldn't be without them though, as they sound great and suit my needs perfectly, but there is not much in it price wise to either add a sub to mine or swap them for the later 9s.

Good luck with whatever you choose, you should enjoy them regardless.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
davedotco said:
John Duncan said:

Oh, I see. Perhaps we need some sort of sign to tell us when you are quoting 'from the dark side'?

Though I am not sure of the relevance of doing so in this thread, the devils offspring have had barely a mention in passing.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
14 of the 26 posts in the thread (excluding quotes) before I chipped in...

A bit disengenuous JD.

The thread was a general discusion about the benefits and otherwise of inexpensive active loudspeakers and was quite wide ranging until the 'anti' brigade started their ritualistic 'slagging' of AVI, a product that had barely been mentioned up until that point, just 2 posts in fact.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
The boom comment was in reply to Almkaatz's comment, which comes straight from the HDD Bible.

No offence, but have you heard the AVI speakers you've been recommending?

First of all I have been recomending active speakers in general, particularly in the budget catagory, I think they offer something different and in the right situation offer excellent value for money.

I have suggested product from Adam, Mackie, Yamaha, Presonus, Quested and Studiospares (Seiwin) among others though strangely it is only my occasional mention of ADM9s that gets your attention.

To answer your question, I came across an early pair of ADM9.1s a couple of years ago in the home of a friend of a friend. The setup was poor but I thought they showed some promise though nothing to get exited about.

A few months later when looking for a system I heard a late pair of ADM9Ts and thought them outstanding and for someone who already owned an AEX, an obvious choice. I was seriously considering a trip to Nailsworth to hear the (then) new 9RSs when circumstances changed and my budget disappeared.

Were I able to buy such a system at this time, my personal taste would see me compare the latest 9RSs with the Adam Artist 6 and suitable dac such as the Matrix Mini I. Sadly not going to happen anytime soon.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts