loudspeakers classification

noob

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
If one would like to classify mass market loudspeaker brands in terms of automotive brands, which speaker brands would be:

1) Rolls Royce - mass produced (relatively), yet very exclusive

2) Mercedes - mass produced luxury

3) Volkswagen - boring reliability

4) Skoda - affordability first

5) some awkward spelled name noone wants to buy

I'm interested in brands mostly mentioned here on forum: B&W, Sonus Faber, Dali, Dynaudio, Kef, Tannoy, Vienna Acoustics, Monitor Audio, Focal, ATC, PMC, Proac...but feel free to add your favourites or expand classification :)

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
jjbomber said:
noob said:
Quad.

geely-ge-1-458x286.jpg

Daveperc

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
EB Acoustics EB2's - the equivalent of a Morgan

big_morgan%20042.jpg

Brilliant execution of craftsman's art, built in the west of England, fantastic performance for the money, and slightly off the mainline track. Oh, and yes there is a waiting list, but nothing like the one for the car!

Dave

Daveperc said:
EB Acoustics EB2's - the equivalent of a Morgan

big_morgan%20042.jpg

Brilliant execution of craftsman's art, built in the west of England, fantastic performance for the money, and slightly off the mainline track. Oh, and yes there is a waiting list, but nothing like the one for the car!

Dave

There's certainly a waiting period not too sure how long the list is. :grin:

Over to you Richard.

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
To me, the Rolls and Bentley of the speaker world will always be Sonus Faber and Wilson Audio. Like the car companies, they may not be the best in the world, but their cachet is second to none.

GamuT is like a top Merc. ProAc is like a Cadillac.

noob

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, this is kind of answer I was hoping for :)

Would you be so kind to tell me, in your opinion ofcourse, where would you put Dynaudio, Dali and B&W?

I'm asking this questions cause I'm new to this world, and would like to hear opinion of experienced people in the field.

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
B&W is like Toyota/Lexus. They will sell you something reliable right up to the top of the line. And their top of the line is undeniably top of the line.

Dynaudio is like GM. So many models and ranges that you feel like maybe they ought to figure out which one is the Oldsmobuick. If you know what I mean and I think some of you might.

Dali is like a Lancia. Stylish and fine dining and all, but a bit quirky, and you know your neighbor probably won't buy one unless he's a complete tosser and gets one to be like you.

I can do this all day...just keep them coming. I'm off my medication and everything.

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
noob said:
If one would like to classify mass market loudspeaker brands in terms of automotive brands, which speaker brands would be:

2) Mercedes - mass produced luxury

3) Volkswagen - boring reliability

4) Skoda - affordability first

5) some awkward spelled name noone wants to buy

I'm interested in brands mostly mentioned here on forum: B&W, Sonus Faber, Dali, Dynaudio, Kef, Tannoy, Vienna Acoustics, Monitor Audio, Focal, ATC, PMC, Proac...but feel free to add your favourites or expand classification :)

I'd argue that the latest S Class and the S Class coupe, are easily on a par with Rolls Royce for exclusivity, and certainly ahead technology wise.

But then I'm a car guy...lol

JMac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts