AMP brands sorted by how they Sound

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
insider9 said:
Oh, go on! You know you want to ;)

I'm not a masochist.

I would however like to see a thread dedicated to Valve Amps (SET/Triode/Pentode/Ultra Linear) and the effect of Tube Rolling.....but I don't feel I have enough experience to give a fully informative Primer.

If anyone would like to start one, I'll certainly contribute.

I’d contribute to this too. It’s a fascinating and sonically rewarding area and one that is seriously neglected.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
I’d contribute to this too. It’s a fascinating and sonically rewarding area and one that is seriously neglected.

Right, I will start one, as I also think it's a neglected area...but I will rely on the likes of yourself, Lindsayt and other Valve owners to fill in the blanks.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:

Right, I will start one, as I also think it's a neglected area...but I will rely on the likes of yourself, Lindsayt and other Valve owners to fill in the blanks.

I’ll try.

By the way, I hooked the Focals up to The S8 last night and they sounded incredible in my new lounge. Will swap out the S8 for the Devialet tonight...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:

I’ll try.

By the way, I hooked the Focals up to The S8 last night and they sounded incredible in my new lounge. Will swap out the S8 for the Devialet tonight...

For me, Focals are ideal for a Valve Amp like the UR.....and it goes to my logic of chosing components from opposide end of the sonic spectrum, to combine for amazing results.

AJM1981

Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear...

(Puffs cheeks)... yeah... no...um. Some of your choices chimes with my experiences, while others are out of kilter.

Not sure how one can accurately quantify or differentiate the tonal qualities.

The perfect example was when I heard the Moon amp years ago with Totem speakers at this dealer. I had the Pulse set-up and after about 10 minutes listening to the Moon I had to learn sign language, as it made me deaf. It was dreadfully bright, while, strangely, the Pulse sound had a fuller presentation (with the same speakers).

The mysteries of hi-fi.
To Hifi enthousiasts everything measures flat and magically stands out in some way at the same time.

Thing behind it also affected the monitor world. It is the imperfections and design philosophies that make the world go round. The story of how the BBC monitor came to be is such an example.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts