Source first still important, dumbed down hifi, or is there a problem with your system?

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Cypher said:
Question for the people who hear differences ;

Can you describe the differences you hear between a MP3 (320kbps) track and a WAV track ?

Is it the timing, dynamics, more detail ??

Check out the last few posts in 'The Devialet Thread'.

Those are the kind of differences I expect to hear, ambience, reproduced acoustic, 'body' etc.

Though when I go to the trouble to set up some kind of blind test, they are very difficult to pick indeed, not saying that they are not there, but swamped by other differences of production or system set up.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Cypher said:
But altruistic.lemon says he can hear 'clear differences'. I wonder what those clear differences are ?

Not sure, but you should never underestimate the self confidence of Australians........ ;)

To put these diffences into context try the Dave Brubeck samples given in the Devialet thread, very similar but not the same.

Then try any of the tracks on the studio album compared to the live performances on disc 2. Artistically on a different level, far more important to search out the better performances/recordings than to worry about bit rate.

Listen to the overload on some of the live tracks, mic overload probably, always a problem with live recodings, the band invariably put more into a live take than the do in setup and soundcheck, doesn't matter if it is Dave Brubeck or Sham 69, always happens........ :rockout:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts