Sony PSN 5 days and still down, damn thoughtless hackers!

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

PSN is still down and now Sony is concerned about out bank details. No Lovefilm or Quinticity.Hard to believe that Hackers would attack Sony over the Christian time of Easter and with Japan in such a poor physical state.

'Their parents must be so proud'

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
This has nothing to do with the hackers,So we will put that to bed right away.Sony are changing and updating servers related to the psn network,including Qriocity that is being renamed SEN(sony entertainment network).To do this sony have had to re-group servers,and update files.You will also see changes to the "bravia internet video" services that are on all 2010 and 2011 sony bravia tv's and blu-ray players.and as yet to be confermed it may also make an apperance on playstation 3 as well.Hope thisa shed's some light on the matter.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
No not really - Sony's announcment has been that an "external intrusion" is to blame - if planned they would have a) announced it so everyone knew b) put a completion time c) not done it over one of the largest public holidays across the world

"Patrick Seybold, Sony's senior director of corporate communications and social media, released an online post apologising for the outage, and admitting the breach of security.
He said: 'An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services.
'We are doing all we can to resolve this situation quickly, and we once again thank you for your patience"

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Lets hope Sony use the time to get things right. Great to hear you're response 'Sony Centre', be great if they get everything off the ground with no loss of users personal data. Going to go to the bank tomorrow and check my card information hasn't been used.

My concern was with hackers 'dumping' on Sony whilst Japan is in such a mess. No heart!

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Well the hackers "claimed" that they were not targeting the end user,just sony themselves.And yes it was a bad move on the "hackers" part.God help them when sony find the culprits.Hopefully the psn network and sonys sen/lovefilm service should be back online for tuesday night(hopefully).Have been getting a lot of updates to this via e-mail at work today.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
sonycentre said:
God help them when sony find the culprits.

Id be suprised if they were dumb enough to leave traces so they can be followed. Id also imagine that a hack of this size would require a lot of computers, probably from lots of different locations to literally swamp sonys network to the point it cant cope.

Still, its possible one guy could have done this (Unlikely though)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
The BBC news has been carrying the story all day today and it would seem sony is in a bit of a mess! Card details ARE at risk and i for one will take sony to the cleaners if my bank details have been disclosed to anyone other than sony, as far as i am aware that would then mean that sony has broken the data protection act and is then liable. I'm concerned.

This is just an extension of the attack by 'annonymous' the group of hackers that attacked sony a week or two ago in protest against sony taking legal action towards one of their members and it won't stop any time soon! What sony seem to forget is that the more you go after these guys the more they will attack them and bring down as many services as possible, i would prepare yourself for alot more interuptions to the service in the future. Sony won't back down as they simply can't now that they have already gone after hackers and the hackers will just retaliate until it finally gets to the point that something has to give...until then i'm afraid its us consumers that have to suffer and i've already had enough, a few more days of this and im selling my ps3!

T

the record spot

The only thing I'm bothered with over this is the security of the personal details held on the Qriocity servers and storage. We have a Qriocity account for the TV, otherwise, this is but a learning curve for Sony in the same way it was on the PayPal and Visa. If that's all okay, then no biggie for me.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Damn!

Just sorted the bank details out. Need to check for any old passwords in case they are similar or same on sites i may have not used for years. Credit check is my concern, have no idea how to check it. Also email is wifes address that she has had for years. Lets hope Sony hasn't just given away the info for millions of users to be cloned. That data must be worth billions£, may'be more that a 'can we' hack, more of a 'lets make a fortune in the modern age' hack.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
sonycentre said:
This has nothing to do with the hackers,So we will put that to bed right away.

Clearly not a clue, sonycentre.

The official statement says:

"We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:

1) Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;

2) Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and

3) Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state/province, zip or postal code), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity passwords and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained."

Would you like to change your username before you further embarrass all those people for whom you claim not to speak?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Would you like to change your username before you further embarrass all those people for whom you claim not to speak?

hahaha
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
sonycentre said:
This has nothing to do with the hackers,So we will put that to bed right away.

Clearly not a clue, sonycentre.

The official statement says:

"We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:

1) Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;

2) Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and

3) Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state/province, zip or postal code), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity passwords and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained."

Thanks Andrew i was just about to post the statement myself so that sonycentre could see the errors of his ways but you saved me the hassle and summed up his post in one great line!
smiley-laughing.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Seems to be a lot of people slagging off sony (not talking about the user here :p) over this

Personally I think theyve done everything they should have, people WOULD be complaining if theyd left PSN on whilst knowing somone had stolen password details etc

You also need to know the full facts before telling people whats happened

Its free after all

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
hmm wonder why I couldn't login while playing a game or watch Lovefilm last night

Don't get this with the Xbox services.......and 5 days!!! what a joke, be honest Sony next time you money grabbing gits!!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Garth Man said:
hmm wonder why I couldn't login while playing a game or watch Lovefilm last night

Don't get this with the Xbox services.......and 5 days!!! what a joke, be honest Sony next time you money grabbing gits!!

Err, in what way do you think Sony are making money out of this? This is likely to cost them a packet.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Hmm, reading up it appears the implication is that Sony were storing this info completely unencrypted, if so that's a massive mistake, and not in compliance with the Payment Card Industry's security standards. I smell lawsuits...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
chebby said:
It's going to be busy for the banks in the next few days as millions of people cancel their credit/debit cards and get new ones issued.

Yup, just cancelled mine to be safe. Right pain in the bum as means updating all other things which use that card, so no doubt I'll get a few emails over the next few weeks about unpaid subs etc.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
See, this is where I now need to try and remember whether I ever signed up for Qriocity with a payment card...

Check your online bank statement. If you have bought a new BMW in the Ukraine in the last 9 days then you probably did.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts