Sony PSN 5 days and still down, damn thoughtless hackers!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

John Duncan

chebby said:
John Duncan said:
See, this is where I now need to try and remember whether I ever signed up for Qriocity with a payment card...

Check your online bank statement. If you have bought a new BMW in the Ukraine in the last 9 days then you probably did.

Mrs JD: John, what's this package - "Cambridge Audio 650BD"?

JD: It was the hackers, darling

Mrs JD: So why did they have it sent here?

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
chebby said:
John Duncan said:
See, this is where I now need to try and remember whether I ever signed up for Qriocity with a payment card...

Check your online bank statement. If you have bought a new BMW in the Ukraine in the last 9 days then you probably did.

Mrs JD: John, what's this package - "Cambridge Audio 650BD"?

JD: It was the hackers, darling

Mrs JD: So why did they have it sent here?

JD: Obviously the dealer has a strict policy of only delivering to the card's registered address.

Mrs JD: So that means their returns policy will be also excellent and secure.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
The_Lhc said:
I'm starting to feel better about being a social outcast, I mean, non-gamer...

But it's not just gaming - it's LoveFilm and Qriocity too....

Yeah, that too, I ignore them all! Presumably that's only Lovefilm subscriptions through a PS3 or Sony TV/BDP though?

Thinking about it this is a good way of persuading the other half that I really do need to carry on buying blu-rays "but dear, it's so much more secure than streaming...".

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
How could Sony send your details without SSL encryption, they really dropped the ball on this one. It was sent as plain text and all the details could be clearly seen and therefore stolen. Its pretty poor.

Im not going to jump on the panic bandwagon but I will be monitoring my bank account.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
AIUI it's not the sending of details but the storage of such, reading between the lines it looks like Sony have been storing people's details on their servers in plain text...

No doubt there's some IT guy sitting in a meeting right now saying "I've been saying this for years, but would you listen?!"

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Clare Newsome said:
The_Lhc said:
I'm starting to feel better about being a social outcast, I mean, non-gamer...

But it's not just gaming - it's LoveFilm and Qriocity too....

Yeah, that too, I ignore them all! Presumably that's only Lovefilm subscriptions through a PS3 or Sony TV/BDP though?

Thinking about it this is a good way of persuading the other half that I really do need to carry on buying blu-rays "but dear, it's so much more secure than streaming...".

Apologies - looks like this does NOT effect LoveFilm accounts, as these details are stored by LoveFilm rather than Sony. Though the LoveFilm streaming service does appear to be affected by the shutdown. Stil trying to get more info on this.

Music and movie streaming via Qriocity, however, most definitely part of the equation....

Our test team's key Qriocity account holder is on holiday abroad at the moment - we're hoping his credit card isn't affected :O

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
professorhat said:
No doubt there's some IT guy sitting in a meeting right now saying "I've been saying this for years, but would you listen?!"

Hi,

Perhaps an interesting opening for our favourite (ex) Haymarket IT guy?

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
The_Lhc said:
AIUI it's not the sending of details but the storage of such, reading between the lines it looks like Sony have been storing people's details on their servers in plain text...

Depends... A colleague of mine was visiting a customer site. They had a database installation where the tables were striped across several disks for performance reasons. When asked about their backup strategy, the "IT guy" said "we backup disk1 on Monday, disk2 on Tuesday, disk3 on Wednesday" and wondered why my colleague nearly wet himself laughing.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
hammill said:
professorhat said:
The_Lhc said:

Depends... A colleague of mine was visiting a customer site. They had a database installation where the tables were striped across several disks for performance reasons. When asked about their backup strategy, the "IT guy" said "we backup disk1 on Monday, disk2 on Tuesday, disk3 on Wednesday" and wondered why my colleague nearly wet himself laughing.

Doh...
smiley-laughing.gif

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone confirm the delay between Sony knowing there had been a security breach, and then when they informed the world that a security breach (including stolen personal financial data) had taken place?

I heard about the playstation network going down last week, but only heard on the BBC this morning that it was a major hacking issue that might affect me personally.

Is this another case of Japanese (crisis) management in crisis? (Remember Toyota, Fukushima....?).

ps. not a racist thing (before someone pipes up), but a cultural management issue where everything has to go right up to the top before a decision is made.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
Can anyone confirm the delay between Sony knowing there had been a security breach, and then when they informed the world that a security breach (including stolen personal financial data) had taken place?

I heard about the playstation network going down last week, but only heard on the BBC this morning that it was a major hacking issue that might affect me personally.

Is this another case of Japanese (crisis) management in crisis? (Remember Toyota, Fukushima....?).

No it isn't, knowing you've been hacked and knowing what, if anything, has actually been taken are two different things. Sony shut down the system as soon as they knew someone had got in. It's taken them until now (yesterday) to confirm what the hackers actually got hold of whilst they were "inside".

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
The_Lhc said:

A good chance there id say :p

My firms full of people that can talk the talk but really dont have a clue what theyre doing

tvspecv

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
finding it hard to reply with this new system I rang them last year but they said youre stupid not to give us you`re correct details were secure very secure are you crazy? hackers ?this was me when i could`nt de-activate my old system. wheres that fool now?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
The one thing i've been trying to get answers to today from Sony (and getting nowhere fast) is the situation regarding the data protection act, surely if my personal details have been stolen from a supposedly secure server (plain text..what a joke!) then thats not MY issue that is THEIR issue and i'm sure a law must have been broken here so does anyone have any idea what the law says in regard to the storing of highly personal information on the web ie personal details and credit card details?

It can't be right that Sony just says sorry and walks away from this scott free, i for one will not accept that in a million years...they have been careless with my personal information and that must be against the law, if it isn't i would be shocked!

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Oldboy said:
The one thing i've been trying to get answers to today from Sony (and getting nowhere fast) is the situation regarding the data protection act, surely if my personal details have been stolen from a supposedly secure server (plain text..what a joke!) then thats not MY issue that is THEIR issue and i'm sure a law must have been broken here so does anyone have any idea what the law says in regard to the storing of highly personal information on the web ie personal details and credit card details?

It can't be right that Sony just says sorry and walks away from this scott free, i for one will not accept that in a million years...they have been careless with my personal information and that must be against the law, if it isn't i would be shocked!

The complete data protection act is available online for all to see (Good luck with it though!)

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
As it stands, weve ALL already ticked to agree with the T and Cs " "We exclude all liability for loss of data or unauthorised access to your data, Sony Online Network account or Sony Online Network wallet and for damage caused to your software or hardware as a result of using or accessing Sony Online Network"

However, if they have broken the data protection act (IF, im not saying they have), then the above statement is worthless to them

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I've just heard the Information Commissioner on the radio - he says Sony will be investigated to assess whether they took adequate measures as regards Data Protection act...

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
I've just heard the Information Commissioner on the radio - he says Sony will be investigated to assess whether they took adequate measures as regards Data Protection act...

Great news Clare and thank you very much for the info it's much appreciated...that saved me from trawling even further through the data protection act which is very heavy reading as aliEnRIK warned me, i'm just happy that Sony won't be able to just walk away from this and leave it's customers up the creek without a paddle and will at least have to answer some questions
smiley-smile.gif

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
After 4 PS3's in as many years i am not surprised at Sony's reluctance to offer details of any data loss until now. Customer service were consistently 'careful' with language without solution. Like many big companies any announcement would need to get signed off by legal. 'Sony Centre' was probably telling us what he had been told, any offical information would have been checked and double checked and would probably have gone mainstream at the same time as internal mail to limit misinformation.

If someone tried to use stolen information online would that then create a 'link' towards the culprits?

Guess time will tell.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Cookie Monster said:
If someone tried to use stolen information online would that then create a 'link' towards the culprits?

Probably not, assuming they did it to make money if the hackers have got any sense they'll just sell the info on to other criminals rather than use it themselves directly.

Err, I imagine...

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
So what I want to know is, I used my credit card and debit card on the PSN about 3 months ago but deleted details of my cards off my account, so will I be still at risk?
smiley-frown.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
007L2Thrill said:
So what I want to know is, I used my credit card and debit card on the PSN about 3 months ago but deleted details of my cards off my account, so will I be still at risk?
smiley-frown.gif

Well i'm not going to re-assure you. Balance the inconvience of changing your cards against any potential losses (or the niggling worry about it happening one day out of the blue) and let us know what you decided.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts