Raising small floorstanders by 20cm

insider9

Hi all, rather simple question. What's the best way to raise a pair of small floorstanders by 20cm (circa 8 inches)? Do stands like this exist? Or are there any home made solutions?

Speakers height is 32 inches (81 cm) and they actually sound great with no apparent tonal changes with height. Unfortunately vocals feel too low in the image which I'm not used to. For now I'd rather not to say what speakers as I'll be writing a mini review :)

As always, thank you

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Forum seems up and running so I'll add to above as I know it will go up and not vanish into cyber space

If the bottom spikes are less than the with or depth of a standard concrete block, if you cut the block to required size and sandwiched it between 2 planks of wood (same surface area), say 9x2" planks and bonded them with silicone and painted up later i'd imagine they would be heavy enough and rigid enough, with the silicone in between likely absorbing any monor vibration encountered, and shouldn'y look bad, especially if the same colour as you speakers

insider9

Thanks Muljao

I've looked for about half hour on eBay. Descriptions are poor and a few that's the right size are more £100+ hence the DIY element of my question.

I'll look into getting some wood. Never worked with actual wood, made some furniture from mdf on more than one occasion and other DIY but not carpentry work.

I've seen people buying granite slabs but that's probably too much in terms of thickness.

I'd be worried something else was amiss, but you could try putting speakers on a few big books. I'm sure you have lots of encyclopaedias or dictionaries!

How about tilting them back rather than raising them? (Careful, obviously!). But do exhaust conventional options like distance from side and rear walls, and toe in and out. Lastly, not being funny, but there's no chance they are upside down is there? I realise the terminal block would be a give away usually!

Good luck!

insider9

nopiano said:
I'd be worried something else was amiss, but you could try putting speakers on a few big books.  I'm sure you have lots of encyclopaedias or dictionaries!  

How about tilting them back rather than raising them?   (Careful, obviously!). But do exhaust conventional options like distance from side and rear walls, and toe in and out.   Lastly, not being funny, but there's no chance they are upside down is there?  I realise the terminal block would be a give away usually!

Good luck!
Thanks Nopiano!

I don't think they're upside down but I like how you think :) When I sit lower in my chair they sound fine. It's just my normal listening position and how I'm used to vocal placement.

In terms of tilt I just done some measurements/calculations and raising the front of the speakers by only an inch should give me a around 6 degrees tilt required. I'll give that a go and report back.

nopiano said:
I'd be worried something else was amiss, but you could try putting speakers on a few big books. I'm sure you have lots of encyclopaedias or dictionaries!

How about tilting them back rather than raising them? (Careful, obviously!). But do exhaust conventional options like distance from side and rear walls, and toe in and out. Lastly, not being funny, but there's no chance they are upside down is there? I realise the terminal block would be a give away usually!

Good luck!
Agree. I would suggest experienting with different positions rather than trying to raise the speakers.

insider9 said:
Hi all, rather simple question. What's the best way to raise a pair of small floorstanders by 20cm (circa 8 inches)? Do stands like this exist? Or are there any home made solutions?

Speakers height is 32 inches (81 cm) and they actually sound great with no apparent tonal changes with height. Unfortunately vocals feel too low in the image which I'm not used to. For now I'd rather not to say what speakers as I'll be writing a mini review :)

As always, thank you

These wouldn't be Quad S1's now would they?

insider9

Al ears said:
insider9 said:

As always, thank you

These wouldn't be Quad S1's now would they?
:)

No, no ribbons this time. I'm going to listen to S-1 on Saturday in all Quad setup though.

Ok, they're QLN QuBIC 122. I got them yesterday evening. Thought Swedish speakers on the end of Swedish amp should sound OK :) Just a calculated risk as info on them is near to non existent. Except from some kind words from Electro on different forums.

Electro, if you're reading this, thanks a lot.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
Thanks Muljao

I've looked for about half hour on eBay. Descriptions are poor and a few that's the right size are more £100+ hence the DIY element of my question.

I'll look into getting some wood. Never worked with actual wood, made some furniture from mdf on more than one occasion and other DIY but not carpentry work.

I've seen people buying granite slabs but that's probably too much in terms of thickness.
I probably made it sound very involved. I mean pick up a dried out railway sleeper or even a bit of a tree trunk and get someone to cut it into a shaped block. It might do the trick, even a shaped piece of concrete that you could do yourself may dothe trick if all other suggestions fail

insider9

Looks like tilting works fine. Not a massive difference on some tracks but on others good enough. I guess it's down to getting used to new sound.

I've ordered a set of floor spikes which should make tilting easier. For now it's a book each under the front.

Will they take place of my Roksan it's another story... need a bit more time to assess.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:

As always, thank you

Taking the bottom cushion off your listening armchair should have a similar effect. Although your bum might go a bit numb and getting up and sitting down will be more difficult.

insider9

Gazzip said:
insider9 said:

As always, thank you

Taking the bottom cushion off your listening armchair should have a similar effect. Although your bum might go a bit numb and getting up and sitting down will be more difficult.
It's ok when fully reclined but then I'm almost lying down. Tilting helped and floor spikes (shorter on back, longer at the front) will be a permanent solution. If I manage a cheap second hand stand of eBay I will, but for now sorted. Thanks

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:
Gazzip said:
insider9 said:

As always, thank you

Taking the bottom cushion off your listening armchair should have a similar effect. Although your bum might go a bit numb and getting up and sitting down will be more difficult.
It's ok when fully reclined but then I'm almost lying down. Tilting helped and floor spikes (shorter on back, longer at the front) will be a permanent solution. If I manage a cheap second hand stand of eBay I will, but for now sorted. Thanks

You have a recliner?! I now have armchair envy...

Gazzip said:
insider9 said:
Gazzip said:
insider9 said:

As always, thank you

Don't all audiophiles have recliners?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
Gazzip said:
insider9 said:
Gazzip said:
insider9 said:

As always, thank you

Don't all audiophiles have recliners?

I wish...

insider9 said:

As always, thank you

How about something like these :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009NWX2WO?th=1

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
insider9 said:

As always, thank you

These are a god product that I looked at for my table mounted EB2's. You need to be careful to check their website for sizing options as there are (or at least there were) a number of different size options...

insider9

Gazzip said:
insider9 said:
Gazzip said:
insider9 said:

As always, thank you

Taking the bottom cushion off your listening armchair should have a similar effect. Although your bum might go a bit numb and getting up and sitting down will be more difficult.

It's because I've read on here that right after cables, armchairs have the most impact on sound quality *secret*

Great updated profile pic by the way.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
insider9 said:
Gazzip said:
insider9 said:

As always, thank you

Frasier's dad springs to mind...

insider9

Al ears said:
insider9 said:

As always, thank you

That looks good indeed. Perhaps too good. Might get it after Christmas and once I'm 100% I want to keep the speakers for good. Thanks Al for the suggestion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts