AKG K712 pro - review

insider9

What prompted this review was my purchase of an open-back alternative to my AKG K550 Mk I. I was looking for similar tonal qualities a pair of reference headphones and Dalethorn was patient enough and helped me make this choice, so thank you Dale :) I'm going to focus this review mostly on sound quality and things that either surprised me or disappointed me in other areas.

I like the fact that cable is replaceable and that headphones come with two cables. If I had to be critical in any way I'd rather have different ear pads. These look like they'll get dirty quite quickly being made from velour. The box for K550 was also better made in my opinion. Replacement earpads aren't cheap nor easily accessible. When I contacted AKG about them I was told "The AKG K712 PRO is a professional product while you have reached the consumer division with your request. " They did in fact, direct me to professional distributor. The main question at this point was is the sound quality also at professional level?

My first impressions straight out of box were very good indeed. In fact after 50 hours running-in period I can't say that that much has changed. In brief these are neutral, natural sounding open-back headphones with a slight (3db) bump in bass and compared to K550 it shows. I always felt that bass on K550 was good, although many people found it lacking. K712 bass is more pronounced as well as better textured. For those who enjoy Mingus, Primus or Esperanza Spalding it is a treat.

Midrange is very detailed and open. One of the first songs I listened to was "Those Sweet Words" by Norah Jones. Eventhough I've heard this song many times I've never noticed the subtle guitar in the left channel during intro playing higher than the other guitar. The guitar strokes are beautiful and gentle giving a superb stereo effect. Similar thing happened in "Jack of Speed" by recording perfectionists Steely Dan. First time I could distinguish every single note played on a guitar in the left channel. In fact there were twice as many as I remembered. Another example of the same subtlety and recording mastery happened when I listened to R.E.M.'s "Man on the Moon". Gentle touches of mandolin and great separation when backing vocals join in. As well as precise placement in the image, was another treat.

I do like how K712 handle vocal, I admit. Individual voices can be distinguished whether it's multitude of backing singers for Alicia Keys "Fallin'" or Lauryn Hill "Doo Wop". The vocal can be powerful like Robb Flynn from Machine Head or emotive. Listening to Leonard Cohen "In My Secret Life" or Melody Gardot "My One and Only Thril" puts you right in the room with a performer who sings just for you and it makes you feel special.

Treble is equally impressive. Granted it doesn't reach speed nor cleanliness of ribbon tweeters but give great texture. Cymbals sound bigger than with K550 and more real. Intermission in "Whole Lotta Love" shows of cybals beautifully on top of all extravaganza that comes with it. This particular song also shows of how well AKG manage to handle rhytm and dynamics.

At this point it would be right to admit. I've listened to K712 too quiet at first. It's only after first hour I've turned them up. Yes they can be enjoyed at lower volumes but it's like driving a Ferrari on a motorway at steady 65 mph (steady without frills). AKG K712 perform far better at higher volumes. Any orchestral music will show off dynamics wonderfully. If 2017 will be the year in which I fully immerse myself in classical music it will be because of these headphones.

True reproduction of instrument is rather excellent. Whether it's an acoustic guitar and harmonica on "Flood Water" by Eric Bibb, ukulele played by Eddie Vedder, tuneful electic guitar of Stevie Ray Vaughan playing his take on the classic "Voodoo Child" or driving piano accompanied by string on R.E.M.'s "Nightswimming". I must admit to a slight OCD in regards to horns though as found both trumpet and alto sax a litlle polite sounding on selected tracks from "Kind of Blue". Tenor sax sounded natural on all track I've listened to.

So far, so good... onto image. Image is well organised. Layers upon layers of synths and instruments on Enya's "Caribbean Blue" present themselves in immaculate fashion. Placement of instruments in just about any track is believable.

Soundstage, particularly depth is peculiar. Here I said it. I might have expected more as most my listening is done via speakers. On one hand you can hear instruments and vocals reverbing of sides of recording studios in just about any track on "Kind of Blue". On a live record though, such as Arne Domnerus "Everything Happens to Me" presents itself in a natural way. You can hear people clapping their hand and talking in the background. I'll admit I was expecting more. It's likely to have been a result of being used to unnaturally deep stage. On the other hand there's recodrings like Led Zeppelin's "No Quarter" and the keyboards feels almost behind you and the depth of sound stage is staggering.

How does it all compare to K550? K712 improves on most things comfort, sound quality in some ways build quality. Having replaceable cable is no doubt pro, earpads that get easily is a pro as your head won't get sweaty after hours of listening but comes at a cost of replacements when earpads get dirty. However small or big the individual improvements the whole package is superb.

So, did I achieve my goal of open-back alternative to K550? No, I've gone up a level. K712 are like K550 on steroids. Will I keep my trusty K550? Maybe, they still isolate very well and unless it's quiet are the only way to listen to music. You migh ask why did I feel the need to buy reference headphones then? The answer is rather simple, as they are a reference. When making changes to my system especially speakers I had to set the benchmark high. With AKG K712 Pro I definitely did that and I will reap the benefits.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
This is really great. The music track references and the sound descriptions are very helpful for checking out a lot of different headphones.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I have always wanted to own a set of AKGs though am not entirely sure why. I am at a point where I am starting to value clarity and detail above all else.

Your review was great so I have taken the plunge and bought a set today. I hope I enjoy them as much as you.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Vladimir said:
My congrats to our new members in the AKG owners guild. Welcome! *drinks*

*music2*

I am actually quite excited Vlad. Takes my array of cans to 4 (more than I need but who cares) and they all give me something slightly different. Once I familiarise myself with the AKGs I may decide to offload one/some of the others.

The DAC question is now uppermost in my mind. The one I have (NJC Audio Reference DAC/Monitor II Headphone Amp) are well regarded and very solid pieces of kit. There's just 'something' telling me that I am still not quite getting the best from my desktop system so I am having a squiz around; ideally, for a high quality, mains powered desktop Amp/DAC.

I have looked at the Oppo HA-1 which is very pricey but seems to attract excellent comments.

Has anyone heard it or better still own it or have any other recommendations?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Paulq said:
Vladimir said:
My congrats to our new members in the AKG owners guild. Welcome! *drinks*

*music2*

I am actually quite excited Vlad. Takes my array of cans to 4 (more than I need but who cares) and they all give me something slightly different. Once I familiarise myself with the AKGs I may decide to offload one/some of the others.

The DAC question is now uppermost in my mind. The one I have (NJC Audio Reference DAC/Monitor II Headphone Amp) are well regarded and very solid pieces of kit. There's just 'something' telling me that I am still not quite getting the best from my desktop system so I am having a squiz around; ideally, for a high quality, mains powered desktop Amp/DAC.

I have looked at the Oppo HA-1 which is very pricey but seems to attract excellent comments.

Has anyone heard it or better still own it or have any other recommendations?

Why feel guilty for having different cans for different sonic moods? I have 3 AKGs, including the 702s.

The key to good neutral bass with the K701/Q701/K702/K712 is good cushion seal, so make sure you have this adjusted before starting a listening session.

Fellow member luckylion has the OPPO, IIRC. Maybe google search his nick and the unit model to read his impressions.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Why feel guilty for having different cans for different sonic moods? I have 3 AKGs, including the 702s.

The key to good neutral bass with the K701/Q701/K702/K712 is good cushion seal, so make sure you have this adjusted before starting a listening session.

Fellow member luckylion has the OPPO, IIRC. Maybe google search his nick and the unit model to read his impressions.

Indeed - I get great pleasure out of them. Thanks for the tip with the seals - the AKG's arrive tomorrow so they'll be getting a pretty good airing.

Will do so re: the Oppo. It's a lot to spend >£1k on something without a demo.

However that doesn't mean I won't *biggrin*

Edit: Just read one of luckylion100's posts on the Oppo. He's less than complimentary about it's synergy with AKG's! *dash1*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Does such thing exists, I wonder myself too, as you and Dale commented earlier. IMO this may not even be possible since psychoacoustics shows our perception constantly tunes in to different details and ranges, there rarely is a full holistic experience. For example, fat, deep bass smothers midrange in our perception. Neutral sounding headphones don't seem to impress people, so manufacturers make different timbral voicings for different customers. Professionals are a different matter, since they use them as tools.

Sometimes I like to play the K702s in the headphone output of my vintage Technics SU-7700 since the sound is rich and smooth, power in abundance. But the best feature (IMO, purists may hate it) aside from the dancing VU meters is the loudness switch.

Yup. When I really want to turn the AKGs from studio hardware to fun machines blasting Neil Pearth and some Billy Jean, I just flip the loudness switch and I get the best bass and dynamics I've ever heard from a headphone. The loudness curve is very well implemented on this amp and especially what I like is that it adds bass, but also reduces HF at 10kHz by 3dB! All loudness EQs make a smiley face, not this amp, which perfectly compliments the K702s. Of course the character of the headphones changes completely. They become Fostex, Denon and Senn killers. Turn the loudness switch off and we are back enjoying Estas Tonne's guitar strings. Now they kick Grado and Beyer ass.

This showed me that they are voiced to be with anechoic type of bass and very detailed midrange and airy highs. But can be whatever you want them to, but never everything at the same time. I've tried with DSP, fiddling for hours, just makes them either worse or good but different. The ideal is a horizon, not an oasis. I don't think we can have it all in just one set of cans. Dale has tried ungodly amount of headphones and still has the opinion that there is not one pair that does everything right.

Isolation and spill is naturally compromised, but you get a very open sound, albeit tilted spectrally towards the upper registers (such that I preferred listening at lower levels). The sound is extremely fast and revealing, translating both EQ and fader‑level decisions with commendable solidity. The bass is impressive, despite its understatement, and as extended as that of the HD650s, but somehow more precise and tuneful. I liked the K702s a great deal, and while their overall tonality felt a bit toppy for heavily processed commercial styles, this may be beneficial with more natural‑sounding acoustic music, where it will focus attention on subtle high‑frequency details. The K702s are a powerful and discriminating mix tool, and for my money outgun any active monitor of a similar price for mixing purposes. - Mike Senior, studio pro

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Does such thing exists, I wonder myself too, as you and Dale commented earlier. IMO this may not even be possible since psychoacoustics shows our perception constantly tunes in to different details and ranges, there rarely is a full holistic experience. For example, fat, deep bass smothers midrange in our perception. Neutral sounding headphones don't seem to impress people, so manufacturers make different timbral voicings for different customers. Professionals are a different matter, since they use them as tools.

Sometimes I like to play the K702s in the headphone output of my vintage Technics SU-7700 since the sound is rich and smooth, power in abundance. But the best feature (IMO, purists may hate it) aside from the dancing VU meters is the loudness switch.

Yup. When I really want to turn the AKGs from studio hardware to fun machines blasting Neil Pearth and some Billy Jean, I just flip the loudness switch and I get the best bass and dynamics I've ever heard from a headphone. The loudness curve is very well implemented on this amp and especially what I like is that it adds bass, but also reduces HF at 10kHz by 3dB! All loudness EQs make a smiley face, not this amp, which perfectly compliments the K702s. Of course the character of the headphones changes completely. They become Fostex, Denon and Senn killers. Turn the loudness switch off and we are back enjoying Estas Tonne's guitar strings. Now they kick Grado and Beyer ass.

This showed me that they are voiced to be with anechoic type of bass and very detailed midrange and airy highs. But can be whatever you want them to, but never everything at the same time. I've tried with DSP, fiddling for hours, just makes them either worse or good but different. The ideal is a horizon, not an oasis. I don't think we can have it all in just one set of cans. Dale has tried ungodly amount of headphones and still has the opinion that there is not one pair that does everything right.

Isolation and spill is naturally compromised, but you get a very open sound, albeit tilted spectrally towards the upper registers (such that I preferred listening at lower levels). The sound is extremely fast and revealing, translating both EQ and fader‑level decisions with commendable solidity. The bass is impressive, despite its understatement, and as extended as that of the HD650s, but somehow more precise and tuneful. I liked the K702s a great deal, and while their overall tonality felt a bit toppy for heavily processed commercial styles, this may be beneficial with more natural‑sounding acoustic music, where it will focus attention on subtle high‑frequency details. The K702s are a powerful and discriminating mix tool, and for my money outgun any active monitor of a similar price for mixing purposes. - Mike Senior, studio pro

That's pretty much the conclusion I have reached over the years Vlad and I have tried many many sets; though not in Dale's league. Every single one I have tried has good attributes and bad but I have actually stopped thinking 'are they good or bad' but instead ask 'what can I use them for'? As with my experiment with the HE400's this week I tend to know pretty instantly whether they'll be of use to me.

I haven't found one single headphone that does everything well. I haven't tried Beats though
wink_smile.png

The 3 I have at the moment all complement certain (and different) types of music well. It's great having that choice. The AKG K712 arrive today and I am praying I will like them. Last night I was listening to some classical music on one of my other sets and was thinking to myself that some of the detail was still missing. I really hope the AKGs plug that gap for that kind of music.

I smiled reading your comments about the Technics. When I started on this hobby 25+ years ago my very first setup was a Technics with VU Meters. How I wish I had kept hold of that today. Still great stuff.

An aside - I'll be honest - part of the reason I am considering the Oppo HA-1 is the VU Meters - I love them
regular_smile.png
. ) The other is it gives me a reason to partner with the PM-1! Reading the specs though, I don't think it's as good a unit as the NJC Amp.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Paulq said:
The AKG K712 arrive today and I am praying I will like them. Last night I was listening to some classical music on one of my other sets and was thinking to myself that some of the detail was still missing. I really hope the AKGs plug that gap for that kind of music.

The K712 impresses me as neutral and detailed, with decent enough bass and a full (but not bright) treble. The thought I had was there's a chance your ultimate satisfaction with it might come down to the fit (one size fits all etc.) rather than the sound. I'll be interested to read your impressions.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
dalethorn said:
Paulq said:
The AKG K712 arrive today and I am praying I will like them. Last night I was listening to some classical music on one of my other sets and was thinking to myself that some of the detail was still missing. I really hope the AKGs plug that gap for that kind of music.

The K712 impresses me as neutral and detailed, with decent enough bass and a full (but not bright) treble. The thought I had was there's a chance your ultimate satisfaction with it might come down to the fit (one size fits all etc.) rather than the sound. I'll be interested to read your impressions.

I have had a couple of hours with them through Dragonfly and NJC amp using Audirvana.

I wasn't sure what to make of it at first but I think my expectations played a big part in that. Part of the reason I have never bought AKG is down to their reputation as being rather cold and uninvolving. Today has shattered that perception.

I like them - they are different to anything else I have heard and as others have stated they are immensely revealing. The bass surprised me - very tight and controlled but not overblown. The only criticism I would level at them is that I found the treble to be quite harsh and sibilant at the top end. Listening to Katie Melua's 'Piece by Piece' highlights this perfectly.

I compared them directly to the Beyerdynamic DT880's and, on balance, I probably prefer the latter as they are just a little less harsh in the treble whilst not losing anything in the detail. I can see the DT880's being my 'go to' for my desktop system- I think they are exceptional for the price- but I'll definitely be getting some use out of the K712 and I am looking forward to seeing how they fare with classical - something I expect they will excel at.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Hope you don't mind my asking but you have far greater knowledge than I on this subject. I'd value your opinion on which of these 2 setups is, purely technically and on the basis of their specs, is the better one. I don't really understand a lot of this stuff so would welcome a view if you have 5 mins:

1 - My existing desktop setup.

Amp: http://www.njc-audio.co.uk/html/headphone_amplifier.html

DAC: http://www.njc-audio.co.uk/html/referencedac.html

2 - The one with nice lights
regular_smile.png

https://oppodigital.com/headphone-amplifier-ha-1/headphone-amplifier-HA-1-Features.aspx

Ultimately I'll listen to both when I can arrange but would appreciate some understanding in terms of how they compare technically.

Thanks in advance!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Power wise they seem to be on on equal footing for the ability to drive 32-600 ohms cans. Other than that you are picking what gives you better pride of ownership, features, resale value, visual appeal etc. One is a project amp in an extruded aluminium sleve with a walwort, and the other is a overengineered hifi unit. One is humble and doesn't offer much distraction. The other has TFT display VU meters. *smile* Purely as amps pushing headphones they seem to be on par (on paper). I don't see why one would be significantly better over the other.

Similar comparison in the DAC department. NJC is again in a project box, typical product for a one-man operation, with minimal functionality and features (just a simple 24/192 DAC), while Oppo is integrated solution with lots of going on and even DSD.

I'd pick neither.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Try the old Yamaha NS10 napkin studio trick with your AKGs. Cut out a square of napkin for each headphone side (2 thin plies only). Place them inside the earpads, hear if the highs are tamed or if you need another ply. If you hear improvement, then unscrew the ear pads (simple twist counter clockwise) and place the napkins over the drivers and reinstall the pads. No tools required. Easy.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Power wise they seem to be on on equal footing for the ability to drive 32-600 ohms cans. Other than that you are picking what gives you better pride of ownership, features, resale value, visual appeal etc. One is a project amp in an extruded aluminium sleve with a walwort, and the other is a overengineered hifi unit. One is humble and doesn't offer much distraction. The other has TFT display VU meters. *smile* Purely as amps pushing headphones they seem to be on par (on paper). I don't see why one would be significantly better over the other.

Similar comparison in the DAC department. NJC is again in a project box, typical product for a one-man operation, with minimal functionality and features (just a simple 24/192 DAC), while Oppo is integrated solution with lots of going on and even DSD.

I'd pick neither.

Thanks - appreciate that very much.

What would you pick? You mentioned the Woo Fireflies?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Paulq said:
Vladimir said:

I'd pick neither.

Thanks - appreciate that very much.

What would you pick? You mentioned the Woo Fireflies?

Hmmm... I'd be tempted with a Schiit Valhalla 2 maybe.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Vladimir said:

I did actually look at those Vlad. Then I got an interesting email from Schiit stating that they actually wouldn't recommend it for use with low impedance headphones; instead advocation one of their hybrid tube amps.

Most of mine (except the Beyers at 600 ohms) fall into the 'low' category at 25, 46 and 62 ohms.

Interesting.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Paulq said:
Vladimir said:

I did actually look at those Vlad. Then I got an interesting email from Schiit stating that they actually wouldn't recommend it for use with low impedance headphones; instead advocation one of their hybrid tube amps.

Most of mine (except the Beyers at 600 ohms) fall into the 'low' category at 25, 46 and 62 ohms.

Interesting.

Hmm. Probably beacause of the low DF (high impedance) of the output tubes. There would be excessive colorations.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts