AKG K712 pro - review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Hmm. Probably beacause of the low DF (high impedance) of the output tubes. There would be excessive colorations.

Possibly but they were, let's say, business like only with their replies. The Lyr 2 may be a better option.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Vladimir said:
SPL Phonitor 2 - this amp is worth checking out. Pricey though.

That looks fantastic but, as you say, it's expensive; particularly when you consider it's for a desktop system. I am not even sure how I'd hook that up to the output of an iMac. Is there such a thing as 3.5mm to XLR stereo?

Anyway - I need to be sensible. My yearning for a new one and Amazon 1-Click are not good bedfellows.
confused_smile.png

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
That was just a teaser with real VU meters. *smile* You'd have to buy a DAC in addition to that hefty sum, which begins to portray the Oppo like a good bang for buck.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Vladimir said:
That was just a teaser with real VU meters. *smile* You'd have to buy a DAC in addition to that hefty sum, which begins to portray the Oppo like a good bang for buck.

...I knew exactly what you were doing. Trouble is, I like valves too
regular_smile.png

The Oppo does look great. I didn't realise how big it was though - I reckon I'd struggle to get that on my desk!

insider9

Vladimir said:
Try the old Yamaha NS10 napkin studio trick with your AKGs.  Cut out a square of napkin for each headphone side (2 thin plies only). Place them inside the earpads, hear if the highs are tamed or if you need another ply. If you hear improvement, then unscrew the ear pads (simple twist counter clockwise) and place the napkins over the drivers and reinstall the pads. No tools required. Easy.
I'm very used to the sound of mine. I've gone up AKG ladder from K550s and liked the sound I'd rather not change their character :)

insider9

Paulq said:
dalethorn said:
Paulq said:
The AKG K712 arrive today and I am praying I will like them.  Last night I was listening to some classical music on one of my other sets and was thinking to myself that some of the detail was still missing.  I really hope the AKGs plug that gap for that kind of music.

The K712 impresses me as neutral and detailed, with decent enough bass and a full (but not bright) treble. The thought I had was there's a chance your ultimate satisfaction with it might come down to the fit (one size fits all etc.) rather than the sound. I'll be interested to read your impressions.

I have had a couple of hours with them through Dragonfly and NJC amp using Audirvana.  

I wasn't sure what to make of it at first but I think my expectations played a big part in that.  Part of the reason I have never bought AKG is down to their reputation as being rather cold and uninvolving. Today has shattered that perception.  

I like them - they are different to anything else I have heard and as others have stated they are immensely revealing.  The bass surprised me - very tight and controlled but not overblown.  The only criticism I would level at them is that I found the treble to be quite harsh and sibilant at the top end.  Listening to Katie Melua's 'Piece by Piece' highlights this perfectly.

I compared them directly to the Beyerdynamic DT880's and, on balance, I probably prefer the latter as they are just a little less harsh in the treble whilst not losing anything in the detail.  I can see the DT880's being my 'go to' for my desktop system- I think they are exceptional for the price-  but I'll definitely be getting some use out of the K712 and I am looking forward to seeing how they fare with classical - something I expect they will excel at. 
Great to hear this. DT880 are also headphones I was looking at recently. Should they be closed back I'd probably pounce as I want a similar sounding closed back alternative.

I must admit I don't think they're siblant usually but check out the track you mention and report back.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Great to hear this. DT880 are also headphones I was looking at recently. Should they be closed back I'd probably pounce as I want a similar sounding closed back alternative.

I must admit I don't think they're siblant usually but check out the track you mention and report back.

[/quote]

FWIW I really rate the DT880's. I have spent the entire weekend with either those or the K712 clamped on my head and I really do like them both. That said, I am an unashamed fan of Beyer cans and am looking longingly at the T1. There are actually people who comment that the difference between the DTT880's and the T1 is not that great - I don't know about that but I do think they are excellent and represent great value for money.

If you are after a closed back alternative you can do worse than look at the DT770's - I wouldn't describe them as neutral but they are a very engaging listen. I'd avoid the 32Ohm version though.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:
Try the old Yamaha NS10 napkin studio trick with your AKGs. Cut out a square of napkin for each headphone side (2 thin plies only). Place them inside the earpads, hear if the highs are tamed or if you need another ply. If you hear improvement, then unscrew the ear pads (simple twist counter clockwise) and place the napkins over the drivers and reinstall the pads. No tools required. Easy.
I'm very used to the sound of mine. I've gone up AKG ladder from K550s and liked the sound I'd rather not change their character :)

I love my even brighter and less bassier 702s. I don't augment their sound in any way. However, when I go back and forward between my speakers and the cans, I feel bass missing, being used to the room modes. Thats where the loudness switch gets used on some beat blasting tracks. This is on rare occasions thankfully, since my head is thumping 3h later. If I use the 702s continually for 2-3 days, all sounds perfect again.

Alternatively I sometimes use the K280 Parabolic for exaggerated dynamics.

insider9

Paulq said:
If you are after a closed back alternative you can do worse than look at the DT770's - I wouldn't describe them as neutral but they are a very engaging listen. I'd avoid the 32Ohm version though.

Have a look here for comparison between DT880 and K712

Regarding DT770 I'd probably pick AKG K550 at similar price but would rather not go down a level and hoping to up the level. Fingers crossed I'll get a pair of DT1770 at some point :)

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:
Try the old Yamaha NS10 napkin studio trick with your AKGs. Cut out a square of napkin for each headphone side (2 thin plies only). Place them inside the earpads, hear if the highs are tamed or if you need another ply. If you hear improvement, then unscrew the ear pads (simple twist counter clockwise) and place the napkins over the drivers and reinstall the pads. No tools required. Easy.

I tried napkins with a couple of Shure headphones, but they didn't sound good. Then I discovered something that really cut the irritation without cutting the treble. The extra earpads that Shure issues have foam backing, and those thin foams, removed from their earpads, can be added into earcups instead of napkins, giving much better results.

insider9

Vladimir said:
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:
Try the old Yamaha NS10 napkin studio trick with your AKGs.  Cut out a square of napkin for each headphone side (2 thin plies only). Place them inside the earpads, hear if the highs are tamed or if you need another ply. If you hear improvement, then unscrew the ear pads (simple twist counter clockwise) and place the napkins over the drivers and reinstall the pads. No tools required. Easy.

I love my even brighter and less bassier 702s. I don't augment their sound in any way. However, when I go back and forward between my speakers and the cans, I feel bass missing, being used to the room modes. Thats where the loudness switch gets used on some beat blasting tracks. This is on rare occasions thankfully, since my head is thumping 3h later. If I use the 702s continually for 2-3 days, all sounds perfect again.

Alternatively I sometimes use the K280 Parabolic for exaggerated dynamics.  
K280 now that's something I'd like to hear.

I've managed to EQ the speakers to the level they are tonally very close to headphones but know what you mean.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
dalethorn said:
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:

I tried napkins with a couple of Shure headphones, but they didn't sound good. Then I discovered something that really cut the irritation without cutting the treble. The extra earpads that Shure issues have foam backing, and those thin foams, removed from their earpads, can be added into earcups instead of napkins, giving much better results.

There are lots of open cell foam disk replacements for headphones on ebay for cheap. Chinese sellers even sell tuning sets of different thickness foam rings. Worth trying out.

The tissue trick is actually a way to create a backwave for the tweeter and effectively comb filtering that will crate a dip in a certain area of the FR. Different types of paper (density) and thickness result in different FR effects. Source

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Paulq said:

Have a look here for comparison between DT880 and K712

Regarding DT770 I'd probably pick AKG K550 at similar price but would rather not go down a level and hoping to up the level. Fingers crossed I'll get a pair of DT1770 at some point :)

The 2.5kHz lower peak for the K712 over the K702 is due to the difference in the pads. The K702 have angled pads so there is more presence audible at the 2.5kHz region shooting in the ear canal. There is maybe just a tad better seal with the memory foam as well, so there is few db sub bass, but it's really minute difference.

Effectively it's the same headphone since the K701. The Harman marketing druids are selling the K712 pads for $100 per pair so you don't get 712 by buying 702 + new pads. Evil, and smart.

PS

The K701s early serial numbers came with an extra open cell foam disk in addition to the donut shaped rings. Maybe AKG wants more of the presence area accented, despite the irritation. I'll order some and try how it sounds.

insider9

Will be interested to know.

The interesting fact when we compared most headphones there was that apart other AKG only Philips SHP9500 gave a similar frequency plot but with more distortion.

Differences between both AKG are only really discernable on distortion figures.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Will be interested to know.

The interesting fact when we compared most headphones there was that apart other AKG only Philips SHP9500 gave a similar frequency plot but with more distortion.

Differences between both AKG are only really discernable on distortion figures.

K701/702 shoot sound slightly off axis due to the pads, so distortion measures slightly off.

Also check the leakage graph to see how memory foam provides better seal in the K712s.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Well, after 3 full days with the K712s I've decided they are not really for me after all so I'm exiting the AKG owners' club (for now). Thanks for the help and advice guys - it was emotional
regular_smile.png

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Maybe try the HD800 S next.

Must admit Vlad I am not a Sennheiser fan at all and will probably stay away from them. I am now down to a paltry 2 headphones in the Denon AHD7000 and Shure SRH1540.

I have decided to go for the Beyer T1's over the DT880's - I have tried them and they are amazing. I just seem to get on with Beyer stuff so I'll be pretty happy with those.

I am now pondering whether to shift either or both of the other 2 I have (Denons and Shures). They are both good in their own right. I vowed I would never ever sell the Denons as in their day they were one of THE go to headphones. There may be better out there now. It's hard to decide because, whilst you gain something with buying new ones, invariably you lose something selling the ones you have. I do like the look of the DT1770's though.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Vladimir said:
The golden trio is AKG, Senn and Beyer. You are bound to be devoted to one of these three philosophies of sound.

Correct. They do seem to hold a psychological monopoly.

I did actually hesitate about the T1's over whether I should go utterly mad and buy the Oppo PM-1s instead. In the end I decided to play safe on the basis that I know the Beyer sound and that they will give me the detail I want (I have tried them) whereas I would have been buying the Oppos blind on the back of some strong reviews and some less so.

Just need to sort the amp/DAC out now Vlad
regular_smile.png
. Thanks for all the help.

TRENDING THREADS