Question about WAV

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
This question may be better suited to the HiFi forum but as it involves ripping/burning I'll put it here. Looking at re-ripping and burning some of the stuff I did a few years ago. Then I was using WMP vers 10 which had limited options. Now I've got vers 11 i now have the options of wma lossless and wav included. Pretty sure I wouldn't detect any audible difference with bit rates that high so a bit undecided still.

But, I believe there was a time, (and possibly still exists), when some CDPs would not recognise the wav format. Is there any basis in this and would I be likely to encounter it with modern equipment?

A

Anonymous

I am sure that CDP who recognize WAV files does not exist. You should do it old and trusted way - burn CD-R in Audio CD format from WAV files.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
ediots:I am sure that CDP who recognize WAV files does not exist. You should do it old and trusted way - burn CD-R in Audio CD format from WAV files.

OK then, maybe someone can answer me this. I rip an album in wav using wmp. The options for burning are either (Do Not Convert - recommended) or (Convert To - which has a sliding scale that tops out at 192kbps). If I choose to burn the wav files onto the cd-r using the Do Not Convert option, is it burning those same wav files onto the disk or is it converting them to something else? I've done a disk just for a trial and it plays just fine.

If, as you say, the CDP won't see wav files then what is it seeing? The title of the option 'Do Not Convert' would indicate to me that it'll burn, whatever format the file happens to be in, as the same.

davydmx

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, if you select 'Do Not Convert', it's burning your music to disc as a WAV file, OR something equivalent to WAV(ie, completely uncompressed)

A

Anonymous

In WMP you have two choices - burn Audio CD and burn Data CD. If you burn Audio CD (that is what you want I think), any file format (wav, wma, mp3) will be converted to Audio CD format (but keeping sound quality from original file, wav - good, mp3 - bad). If you burn Data CD, you will have the same files as they are in your computer. That 'Do not Convert' option is for Data CD only. For example, you have 320kbit mp3 file. Without converting it will be on cd also 320kbit mp3 file, or you will have 192kbit mp3 file converted from your original 320kbit if you choose to do it (to save a space).

A

Anonymous

8009514:

ediots:I am sure that CDP who recognize WAV files does not exist. You should do it old and trusted way - burn CD-R in Audio CD format from WAV files.

OK then, maybe someone can answer me this. I rip an album in wav using wmp. The options for burning are either (Do Not Convert - recommended) or (Convert To - which has a sliding scale that tops out at 192kbps). If I choose to burn the wav files onto the cd-r using the Do Not Convert option, is it burning those same wav files onto the disk or is it converting them to something else? I've done a disk just for a trial and it plays just fine.

If, as you say, the CDP won't see wav files then what is it seeing? The title of the option 'Do Not Convert' would indicate to me that it'll burn, whatever format the file happens to be in, as the same.

Are you sure that you rip in WAV? Maybe that was WMA and that format is supported in some players (mostly all-in-one systems).

Actually, there is no reason to write wav files into cd because that is the exact same size as audio-cd, so you will not have any advantages from cd disc with wav files.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
ediots:8009514:

Are you sure that you rip in WAV? Maybe that was WMA and that format is supported in some players (mostly all-in-one systems).

Actually, there is no reason to write wav files into cd because that is the exact same size as audio-cd, so you will not have any advantages from cd disc with wav files.

Hi ediots, thanks for bearing with me on this. Yep, def ripping in wav, Got wav selected in the ripping choices and the downloaded files are saying 1411.2kbps bit rate, so gotta be wav. I assume they convert to cda format when burned onto a cd-r.

Used to do a lot of making up my own albums, but the options for ripping were very limited in the earlier versions of wmp. Now got WMP vers, 11 and wma lossless and wav now in the choices. So re-doing some of my more precious stuff. be interesting to see if I can hear much difference in audio quality with the much higher bit rates.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts