Help with new Turntable - Michell Gyro/RB303 or Funk Firm LSD

Suitor_Stu

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello!

This is my first forum post (although I have been a lurker for the last few years) and I'm looking for a little advice.

I have been planning a Turntable upgrand or a while now, but things have always got in the way slightly, silly things like taxes, new house and wedding etc etc ;-). Anyway, I now find myself in the position of having a bit of cash set aside and my 30th looming on the horizon so I thought I might treat myself (on the suggestion of my wife as it happens!). My budget is/was around the £1500 mark give or take and I after doing a bit of research I had found the Funk Firm tables thinking I would go for an LSD and that would be the end of that.

Having recently moved to Glasgow, I found out I have a guy locally who sells them and after a chat with him on the phone (where he was raving about them) has offered one for use as a home demo so I can audition myself - great I though!

The spanner in the works is that later that day I went into my local Hifi dealer to see the other options and he quickly pointed me towards a black Gyro SE that they just got in. I don't think I need to say that I was hyponotised by the spinning brass weights! After a chat with one of the salesmen, I realised it wasnt as far out of my original budget as I first thought - provided I spec it with an RB303. Anyway, it still didnt have a cartridge on it, so I wasnt able to hear it up and running (and they don't allow for home demonstrations) but it got me thinking...

My current system is;
Project 1 Xpression Carbon - acrylic platter - Dynavector 10X5 HOMC
Graham Slee Reflex X Phono Stage
Naim Nait 5i (2)
Quad 21L floorstanders

I am happy with the current setup, but would like a touch more detail and separation from the sound. I listen to a broad range of music but mainly Modern Indie, Electronica, Folk and Jazz so unfortunately the new table cant be a slouch!
I will likely upgrade the speakers in the not too distant future, but what I go for depends upon how the eventual setup of my listening space (a kitchen/diner area) pans out (weve only just moved in and are still re aranging furniture on a daily basis). I have no intention of upgrading the other componants even in the next few years and plan to transfer the Dynavector to the new table too.

My question is, will I see enough of an improvement over my current setup with the Gyro SE/RB303 combo to justify it's premium? I doubt anyone will have much experience with Funk Firm products, but all the reviews seem to be positive and I like the idea of buying the Funk Firm LSD for around £1400 and not giving much thought to any upgrade path (as there isnt really one!). I do love the looks of the Gyro and it doesn;t seem to be a slouch either, I just dont want to blow the guts of £1800 on a TT to be stuck with 'only' the arm from an RP3 and to be thinking I need to replace it. But by the same token, I don't want to end up sticking an SME or something on it an feeling that my little Nait 5i isnt doing it any justice...

Sorry for the longwinded post, but any help/opinions (esp on the Gyro/RB303 combo) would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Stu

Suitor_Stu said:
Hello!

This is my first forum post (although I have been a lurker for the last few years) and I'm looking for a little advice.

I have been planning a Turntable upgrand or a while now, but things have always got in the way slightly, silly things like taxes, new house and wedding etc etc ;-). Anyway, I now find myself in the position of having a bit of cash set aside and my 30th looming on the horizon so I thought I might treat myself (on the suggestion of my wife as it happens!). My budget is/was around the £1500 mark give or take and I after doing a bit of research I had found the Funk Firm tables thinking I would go for an LSD and that would be the end of that.

Having recently moved to Glasgow, I found out I have a guy locally who sells them and after a chat with him on the phone (where he was raving about them) has offered one for use as a home demo so I can audition myself - great I though!

The spanner in the works is that later that day I went into my local Hifi dealer to see the other options and he quickly pointed me towards a black Gyro SE that they just got in. I don't think I need to say that I was hyponotised by the spinning brass weights! After a chat with one of the salesmen, I realised it wasnt as far out of my original budget as I first thought - provided I spec it with an RB303. Anyway, it still didnt have a cartridge on it, so I wasnt able to hear it up and running (and they don't allow for home demonstrations) but it got me thinking...

My current system is;Project 1 Xpression Carbon - acrylic platter - Dynavector 10X5 HOMCGraham Slee Reflex X Phono StageNaim Nait 5i (2)Quad 21L floorstanders

I am happy with the current setup, but would like a touch more detail and separation from the sound. I listen to a broad range of music but mainly Modern Indie, Electronica, Folk and Jazz so unfortunately the new table cant be a slouch!I will likely upgrade the speakers in the not too distant future, but what I go for depends upon how the eventual setup of my listening space (a kitchen/diner area) pans out (weve only just moved in and are still re aranging furniture on a daily basis). I have no intention of upgrading the other componants even in the next few years and plan to transfer the Dynavector to the new table too.

My question is, will I see enough of an improvement over my current setup with the Gyro SE/RB303 combo to justify it's premium? I doubt anyone will have much experience with Funk Firm products, but all the reviews seem to be positive and I like the idea of buying the Funk Firm LSD for around £1400 and not giving much thought to any upgrade path (as there isnt really one!). I do love the looks of the Gyro and it doesn;t seem to be a slouch either, I just dont want to blow the guts of £1800 on a TT to be stuck with 'only' the arm from an RP3 and to be thinking I need to replace it. But by the same token, I don't want to end up sticking an SME or something on it an feeling that my little Nait 5i isnt doing it any justice...

Sorry for the longwinded post, but any help/opinions (esp on the Gyro/RB303 combo) would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,Stu

Tricky isn't it.

To be honest if you saved a little money (£150) by going for a silver Gyro then you'd only have to pay an extra £250 on top of the LSD.

The gyro offers more in the way of upgrade potential and would be where my money would be going. Also there is not a lot wrong with that RB303, but you could always look for a second-hand Michell Technoarm.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Former RP6 owner here

I upgraded to a Black Gyro SE, IMO the Silver does not do this deck justice visually !

I started off with an RB303 with Nag 200 cartridge and it sounded so much more together than the Rega.

You have lots of options with the Gyro SE regards to arms - the Tecnoarm is indeed another step up over the RB303 albeit being a very good arm - both arms will match your Dynavector 10x5.

The build quality on these decks is just superb, they are engineered beautifully - however be aware this is not a plug and play deck. Mine took 2 hours to assemble, level, set up etc but that included fitting a new cart.

The deck comes with a Rega armboard as standard.

Its a lovely deck and has pride in place on top of my hifi rack.

PS the RB303 arm has no right being on a deck costing £550!

stevebrock said:
Former RP6 owner here

I upgraded to a Black Gyro SE, IMO the Silver does not do this deck justice visually !

I started off with an RB303 with Nag 200 cartridge and it sounded so much more together than the Rega.

You have lots of options with the Gyro SE regards to arms - the Tecnoarm is indeed another step up over the RB303 albeit being a very good arm - both arms will match your Dynavector 10x5.

The build quality on these decks is just superb, they are engineered beautifully - however be aware this is not a plug and play deck. Mine took 2 hours to assemble, level, set up etc but that included fitting a new cart.

The deck comes with a Rega armboard as standard.

Its a lovely deck and has pride in place on top of my hifi rack.

PS the RB303 arm has no right being on a deck costing £550!

Would agree with comment on RB303.

Also black does look better but is it worth the extra for same sound, who knows?

Suitor_Stu

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
stevebrock said:
however be aware this is not a plug and play deck. Mine took 2 hours to assemble, level, set up etc but that included fitting a new cart.

If I'm honest, this is why I am only now thinking about it - the local Hifi shop have said as I live locally, they would come and do a home install/setup for me. I had looked into getting one online, but I just thought it would be too much hassle.

The guy helpfully said that they were happy for me to source my own tonearm and they would fit that at the same time too (obviously would have to order the deck with the correct armboard, but from what I read most of the more common low-mid range arms (Rega/Technoarm/Funk/Origin Live) all share the rega 3 point mount.

It's good to know that it's not a total waste of money with the 303, but again I'm not sure how much more I want (or can afford!) to sink into this 'hobby' over the next few years, so not sure if upgrading from here is the best thing for me...yet...haha

Suitor_Stu

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
stevebrock said:
oh yes I forgot its an 8 week wait for one, they are built to order

Yeah, the guy in the shop said it might be longer actually since they close for a few weeks over xmas! Birthday is end on Jan, so was thinking I would pull the trigger then, but might try and do it sooner so I'm not having to wait 8-10 weeks after that too!

stevebrock said:
friendly_ghost said:
Any comments on the LSD? Has anyone heard it?

From what I have read from reviews its a very competent deck - how it compares to the Gyrodec I do not know

To be honest I would doubt anyone on this forum has heard one as they don't exactly have a lot of dealers and most people's money goes on Regards or Project decks.

It wouldn't really help anyway as they would probably be using a different cartridge.

There's numerous reviews online though.

Suitor_Stu

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Well...i should be able to let you know soon!

Tried the Gyro at the weekend (with RB303 and Dyna 10X5) and whilst it was excelent and a fairly marked step up from my 1 Xpression Carbon in terms of detail and authority I just felt that being honest with myself, I really would be left wanting/wondering what a different arm can do...given that I also really need to add a dust cover (my main hifi setup is in my Kitchen/Dining room) I really felt I couldnt justify the extra expence of a different arm and I didnt want to keep thinking of when I'd be able to upgrade

So after having a chat with a few dealers/stockists who have both the LSD and Gyro, they confirmed that for my budget the Funk/F5 is the better sounding combo (which is secretly what I was wanting to hear!). They did hasten to add that the Michell is a far better made product, but that you'd have to spec a more expensive arm before the performance beets the Funk.

The local dealer with me who carries Funk has his demo unit out on loan to someone who has a deposit down on one so I cant here that until the guy pays the balance (which was a bit of a dissapointment), but after a conversation on the phone with another dealer they have offered me a cracking price on a Gloss white one, with a red Achromat and an ortofon 2M black so I've done the unthinkable and ordered one blind (or deaf if you will!)...Just waiting to get a confirmation on how long it will be for delivery (they need to order the colour in themselves) but will be sure to update with a small review and photos as and when it arrives!

djh1697

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
friendly_ghost said:
Any updates on the LSD?

Arthur makes and made some excellent turntables, arms, etc. However, his companies have a habit of going bust. I don't see him offering support for older Pink Triangle turntable any longer, bar his "vector" upgrade.

Cymbiosis does have the LSD in stock, so it does have Peter's endorsement.

A Pink Triangle bought in 1980 can no longer be supported, an LP12 turntable bought at the the same time still is supported.

A mitchel technoweight was an excellent upgrade to the RB300, and I suspect the same goes with an RB303 too.

friendly_ghost said:
Al ears said:
friendly_ghost said:
Any updates on the LSD?

I told you. :)

What do you mean? I was just looking forward to hearing someone actually owning this turntable instead of going by review.

What I meant was that I very much doubted anyone on here has ever heard one let alone owns one.

It would appear that my assumption was correct.

TRENDING THREADS