Poundshops £1 HDMI cable reigns supreme

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I bought a couple of the That Cable brand cables & they all had bad hand-shaking issues, on all my components. Changed back to budget QED & not a problem. Most freebie or cheapo cable gave me sync & handshaking issues. Although the freebie cable that comes with Oppo BDPs are good,

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
mykspence said:
theflyingwasp said:
But that's the point I'm kinda trying to make ,if your system is a budget set up by all means grab cheaper cables .but those who have shelled out possibly...

A quick question Mr Wasp. Why do you put your full stops and commas in the wrong place? Not having a pop, just intrigued.
Intrigued over a few misplaced full stops & commas... You need a new hobby mate.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I am deeply affended by them making correxions to my errers. But how many cable debates lapse into humour?

More seriously, interesting that Ch4 and BBC beat up cable manufacturers in the same week.

SEE. I can spell corectly when I want too. (And more seriously I do find these touch keyboards less accurate sometimes - Must try harder 5/10.)

mykspence

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
johnjay said:
Intrigued over a few misplaced full stops & commas... You need a new hobby mate.

Yeah I'm sorry, it's what happens when you're happy with how your hifi sounds, you find other silly things to pick holes in :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
sonycentre said:
The_Lhc said:
sonycentre said:
we are all entitled to an opinion(and yes there can be some real idiots out there).

Just because someone is entitled to an opinion it doesn't mean that opinion is correct or should be respected.

Thats the point of having an opinion is it not? not everyone is going to agree with what people say.

Yes but you appear to be suggesting that you're not allowed to argue against such an opinion or am I mis-interpreting what you're saying?

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
correxions to my errers.

SEE. I can spell corectly when I want too. (And more seriously I do find these touch keyboards less accurate sometimes - Must try harder 5/10.)

Sorry robin i'm not going to pick on you any more, i give up.

T

theflyingwasp

I'm not.doing myself any favours.,,keeping this thread goinG.but. As I have stated before I was never about cheap well made respected brand name and Hdmi certified cables. It was about the mentality of someone who after spending 1000s if not £10000

Pounds on THere hifi or home cinema system,..

then would go intoto pound land and buy a nameless £1 cable to connect there state of the art system together I don't buy it for a

second!

EDITED BY MODS

Please excuse my grammmr!

theflyingwasp said:
I'm not.doing myself any favours.,,keeping this thread goinG.but. As I have stated before I was never about cheap well made respected brand name and Hdmi certified cables. It was about the mentality of someone who after spending 1000s if not £10000

then would go intoto pound land and buy a nameless £1 cable to connect there state of the art system together I don't buy it for a

second!

EDITED BY MODS

It's the choice of the person buying the cables. You judged the mentality in a very abusive manner, it's the manner people objected to.

Do you work for Audioquest then?

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:

second!

EDITED BY MODS

Are you really trying to tell us that you are the guy who founded audioquest??

If so, then you've just done yourself and your company a massive public PR blunder, if not, then I'm sure William Low would love to know somebody is handing out his email on hifi forums pretending to be him.

None of this fits in with this either:

AudioQuest pays a lot of attention to the marketing. How much involvement do you have in this process?

Marketing and communicating is exactly what I am doing today (laughs). I am trying to shine a light on things that you might already know, but from different angles. Honestly, AudioQuest is a marketing company, not an engineering company. We don’t design products first and then decide what to do with them. The only products we design are the ones that we want to sell in a store and which add value to the customer's system. This is an essence of marketing. And I am the art director, and, although, I don’t write everything (laughs), I do help and end up rewriting half the things that are written for me. When AudioQuest products are released later than expected, I am the one making the apologies for it, but the other side of the coin is that I have held them up for certain reasons and the final result is usually a better one.

taken from here http://avmax.tech2.in.com/features/cables/the-cable-guy-interview-with-william-low-ceo-audioquest/916012/0#story

ROTH AV

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Hello.

I'd recomend you all watch this Twitter space: @HiFiHour

I heard a rumour that there might be a 're-test' with the jounalist who presented the Channel 4 programme, with cables provided by a 'name' UK brand in a properly controlled testing environment.

If it happens (and I think it will)....this could be a sigificant event.

Quite exciting really.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
ROTH AV said:
Hello.

I'd recomend you all watch this Twitter space: @HiFiHour

I heard a rumour that there might be a 're-test' with the jounalist who presented the Channel 4 programme, with cables provided by a 'name' UK brand in a properly controlled testing environment.

If it happens (and I think it will)....this could be a sigificant event.

Quite exciting really.

Whilst I agree this is a great thing and hope it comes off and will be interested to see the result, they don't actually need people for the testing. Can be done as in previous tests with checking md5 hashes, capture cards and the like. No room for human error then ;)

edit - have to take the hifihour thing with a bit of a pinch of salt if they are going to retweet vitriolic crap like this http://t.co/ejeEMkhfNR which is a tirade against those bits of tv (some which is valid) yet he goes on to say that BBC and CH4 don't understand digital. erm, how do you think they broadcast. Did he not stop to think that the whole medium on which he watched it and how he watched the programmes he was so incsenced with would have a load of very smart technical guys working in digital in order for it to happen? no, they must know thing! then he comes out with such gems as "One could see the delight in Life on Mars’ face when he revealed that the best picture quality came from the Pound Shop cable and that the lack of any difference was because the cable was digital so whatever went in at one end had to come out exactly the same at the other because it was a digital signal, something he clearly understood ****** all about." erm, that's exactly what a digital signal needs to work. :help: :roll:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
if any of u have any problems with what I'm saying u can contact me at

EDITED BY MODS

I'm calling you on that. Wasps are usually called 'hornets' in the USA and your knowledge of ASDA and it's Christmas TV bargains (and your prejudices regarding it's customers) are too sharply observed for a guy who grew up and lives in California.

William Low also comes over as an intelligent, quiet and well-spoken guy in his YouTube interview and not a ranting loon who makes 'jokey' references to beating his mother with a shoe (as you did earlier) or the sort of person who would insult potential customers on a website of a magazine who have reviewed his product favourably in the past.

He probably wouldn't know the exact UK price of a Galaxy milkshake either.

theflyingwasp said:
Back from Asda

You travel thousands of miles to shop in UK supermarkets?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
It was about the mentality of someone who after spending 1000s if not £10000

Pounds .......

Unsurprising Wasp - you still miss the point - its not any of your thoughts on cables but THIS attitude which we find objectionable. EDITED by MODS - No need for name calling thanks

T

theflyingwasp

chebby said:
theflyingwasp said:

EDITED BY MODS

I'm calling you on that. Wasps are usually called 'hornets' in the USA and your knowledge of ASDA and it's Christmas TV bargains (and your prejudices regarding it's customers) are too sharply observed for a guy who grew up and lives in California.

William Low also comes over as an intelligent, quiet and well-spoken guy in his YouTube interview and not a ranting loon who makes 'jokey' references to beating his mother with a shoe (as you did earlier) or the sort of person who would insult potential customers on a website of a magazine who have reviewed his product favourably in the past.

theflyingwasp said:
Back from Asda

this is.becommming ridiculous! You people have no .sense of humour .whatsoever .we are talking about blimen hdmi! Cables. EDITED BY MODS

Excuse my grimmer.

NOTE from MODS - Please will everyone stop with the petty insults and threats or this thread will have to be locked

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
As I have stated before I was never about cheap well made respected brand name and Hdmi certified cables. It was about the mentality of someone who after spending 1000s if not £10000 Pounds on THere hifi or home cinema system,..

then would go intoto pound land and buy a nameless £1 cable to connect there state of the art system together I don't buy it for a second!

That's because you can't grasp that the £1 and £100+ digital cables are doing the same job to the same standard, HDMI and other digital interfaces are totally different to analogue, where to a certain extent the quality of the cable is bound to effect the clarity of the sound and picture in some way. All the claims of blacker blacks, crisper colours and greater detail (etc) are nonsense because swapping-around digital cables cannot give rise to these kind of analogue-style differences. And that's not just my opinion as a cable skeptic, it's just basic fact.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Like so many things today. We have bought many items on the Internet for really silly money. And yet they perform perfectly well. Clearly this does not apply to all products but it makes one wonder how much money actually goes into a product and how much is marketing & profit. Overheads in retail is an obvious consideration but 'designer' and 'label' generally (in my experience) equates to 'rip-off'..

John Duncan

chebby said:
theflyingwasp said:

EDITED BY MODS

theflyingwasp said:
Back from Asda

I worked for Wm. Low Supermarkets ("Willie Low's") when I was at school. I was somewhat saddened when they were taken over by Tesco. On the plus side, the experience I gained there allowed me to take a job in Safeway as a student, which paid for my first proper stereo (Dual 505/Creek 4040/AR18BX). Sorry, did I go off topic?

T

theflyingwasp

bigboss said:
theflyingwasp said:

second!

EDITED BY MODS

It's the choice of the person buying the cables. You judged the mentality in a very abusive manner, it's the manner people objected to.

Do you work for Audioquest then?

no of course I don't work for audioquest .i have been defending high price cables for the last 5 pages and I own over £600 of audioquest cabling hence the reason I assumed people would know I was joking ..... But obviously not!

And as for my abusive manner I'm not sitting here steam coming out of my ears all angry and intending to insult just for a laugh! How people interpret a written sentence on a forum from a stranger to how you would react to a verbal sentence from someone standing in front of you is a tad different.

i will not apologise for anything I have said and as I repeat myself again .i simply do not believe anyone who buys high end state of the art equipment would then connect it with a no name possibly uncertified £1 hdmi cable from poundland.

duplex and mr malarky had both gave the thumbs up to £3.55 QED cables .the key word being QED .you trust QED it is a well respected ,well made cable many off you use them as you do monster and audioquest etc .£3.55 excellent price everyone's a winner BUT ask mr malarky if truthfully after dropping £4000 on the ZT if he would connect his Blu ray player to the ZT with a no name cable out of poundland and mr duplex after putting together his 30k system if he would put down the £3.55 QED cable in tesco and make the trip to poundland .... I think not

T

theflyingwasp

Yes mr Duncan you did :)

any joy with your tv yet is it still broke?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
So. Summarising the thread. Some may believe it prudent to spend a modest amount on a good quality hdmi cable in the knowledge that it is well made, robust and will not make the purchaser feel that he/she is making any compromise.

Easy. Others may disagree but I am sure no one will take any offense at my summary. Some may wish to comment on my spelling or grammar but that's the fun. :grin:

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
So. Summarising the thread. Some may believe it prudent to spend a modest amount on a good quality hdmi cable in the knowledge that it is well made, robust and will not make the purchaser feel that he/she is making any compromise.

yep, that's pretty much my view.

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
mr malarky said:
RobinKidderminster said:

yep, that's pretty much my view.

and with excellent spelling too ;-)

Did you get a new OFC cable for your keyboard? :-D

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Nail on the head. :cheer: I swapped out the cheap keyboard cable. Best £80 spent ever on a state-of-the art gold USB9 spec cable.

Not ownly iz spellin improoved but its soooooo much qwicker to tipe now. :bounce: One happy guy.

TRENDING THREADS