Poundshops £1 HDMI cable reigns supreme

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned channel 4s program shop secrets, tricks of the trade on at 18:30 tonight where they tested HDMI cables a £1 cable a £6 cable and a £80 cable and the reviewers thought that the £1 was better.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
'Random selection of weirdos' might be more accurate than 'reviewers' but they showed just enough to make clear they couldn't really tell any difference and were guessing. The first hdmi part of the show was irrelevant to the discussions here as it simply showed a dishonest marketing practice. It would have been better if they'd had an identical feed and convinced people through sales talk that one was better than the other.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
simonlewis said:
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned channel 4s program shop secrets, tricks of the trade on at 18:30 tonight where they tested HDMI cables a £1 cable a £6 cable and a £80 cable and the reviewers thought that the £1 was better.

So they saw a difference then... :)

T

theflyingwasp

I wasn't even going to dignify this thread with a comment!

£1 cable! God a galaxy milkshake is £1.39 I hope their TV blows up and they all burn!

T

theflyingwasp

The people who buy these cables were the same brain dead fools that we're fighting in Asda over the Polaroid tvs at Christmas .cheap people who buy cheap rubbish good luck to them.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
The people who buy these cables were the same brain dead fools that we're fighting in Asda over the Polaroid tvs at Christmas .cheap people who buy cheap rubbish good luck to them.

I'm guessing you didn't watch it, as that comment doesn't bear much relation to the content of the show.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
simonlewis said:

Don't any of you look? I posted this on Friday. http://www.whathifi.com/forum/this-week-i-have-mostly-been-listening-towatching/shop-secrets-tricks-of-the-trade

I set it to record as a result of your original thread, thanks PP.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
The people who buy these cables were the same brain dead fools that we're fighting in Asda over the Polaroid tvs ...

If you're fighting 'brain dead fools' over the Polaroid tvs in Asda, then what does that make you?

theflyingwasp said:
... I hope their TV blows up and they all burn!

Ok, it seems you'd already answered that.

Evidently you really don't like people with low incomes. You want to fight them in Asda and then you want them to burn after their TVs explode.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I agree Stingy. If I had a £4k 'state of the art' system as you do I would spend loads on hdmi cables. In my £4k, non-state of the art system I let my foolish brain win over my wallet.

When I disagree with others I always call them stupid or idiots. I dont have many friends though. Dunno why ????

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:

£1 cable! God a galaxy milkshake is £1.39 I hope their TV blows up and they all burn!

theflyingwasp said:

Think you've got some serious materialistic issues going on there flyingwasp. I know us cheapies couldn't possibly understand all the way down here, but I think I'd speak for most of us in future that we don't want your "dignified" posts if you're going to spew such utter condescending drivel in the future.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
There's a Watchdog program on BBC1 in the mornings.

Last week they did a short piece on hdmi cables. There was a physics professor explaining how different cables cannot vary. He cut the hdmi cable and bridged the cable with a gold wedding ring, some kitchen foil and a tent peg, and it started to work perfectly.

I must admit to spending up to £3 on a cable, but what the hell.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
mykspence said:
bigboss said:
It's not HDMI certified though.

That could just mean that they haven't paid to use the 'certified' logo.

Indeed. There is a list of firms that used to use the logo, but now don't (if I understand it correctly). Could be many reasons, but I guess cost of the licence could be one - particularly if your cables are selling just fine without the logo.

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/adopters_terminated.aspx

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
theflyingwasp said:

More importantly - what does chocolate and carbon taste like?

:)

After reading those two AQ product webpages i'd say the answer is horse ####.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts