To Sonos sub or not to sub (feat other questions)

Scotttomo

Apr 12, 2020
Visit site
Good evening.

Brand new to the forum, so hello all.

I have limited knowledge of AV and hifi equipment but wouldn’t consider myself an amateur, at least when it comes to hooking a system up at least. Cables and wires are easy enough to interconnect, the details and complexities of settings and tuning a system though, I’m out 🤗

I’ve a Sonos system in the house, currently composed of 2 ones, a play:3 and a soon to be “legacy”connect amp that, due to the upgrade system, has given me a discount of 30% off a Sonos product.

I’m currently looking into adding a beam to a new tv (Toshiba TX-58GX800) in the living room, with the ones providing the rear stage of the surround system. (Another problem integrating my AV receiver with multiple sources further down)
While checking the Sonos site, the entertainment set of a beam and sub caught my eye as it would, I thought, be a cracking deal with the 30% discount.
A doubt has been planted though as I was doing a bit of reading up before I take the plunge and in a helpful article on the what hifi website, it’s mentioned that the addition of the Sonos sub to a system with a beam as a central channel is overkill and unnecessary, yet in the review of the sub itself, it states the sub is a welcome addition to any Sonos music or cinema system.

I‘m confused about what to do, based on the slightly conflicting views.
Given that I have a 30% off discount from the trade up program and wanted to get the best deal for my money while I can, can someone please advise? Is it worth buying the sub for a future home cinema upgrade to have play:3’s as rears? Or am I just getting ahead of myself and considering something I won’t need?

Onto my next quandary, I currently have my AV receiver with at least 4 sources hooked up to my tv, more to act as a splitter/channel selector for the PS4,Switch,Virgin and CCTV DVR, but I’m starting to think it will start to complicate my system when I add the Beam for surround sound duties?
Am I right to think I need to ditch the receiver, however convenient it makes my current system, and add a HDMI matrix? It’s an extra cost I’m not really wanting to fork out, but if there‘s no other way?

Thanks for reading the essay and thanks in advance for any replies.

Yours, a slightly baffled AV novice.

Scott

I was in a similar quandary as you when I took up the 30% trade up programme offer. Personally, I was happy with my Playbar's performance and didn't feel the need to add in a sub. But people who have it swear by it. You can always sell it on for a tidy profit if you don't want it.

I'm not sure how you can add the beam for surround sound duties. I don't think you can. Besides, the beam is designed to be your TV's main speaker (front and sides) and not surrounds. What's your AV system like currently? Which AV receiver and speakers have you got? If you want to ditch your current AV system for Sonos (which has its disadvantages as in you won't get lossless audio with the Beam), you can connect all your sources direct to TV and connect the TV to the Beam.

Scotttomo

Apr 12, 2020
Visit site
Cheers for the reply BB. Metal gear fan by any chance?

That’s true regarding selling the sub on, not a bad idea :cool:

I’ve written what I wanted to convey poorly regarding the beam used for surround sound duties. I’d like to have the beam under the tv, providing front and L/R and the ones as rears, but with the proviso that I can switch between sources using my receiver. Is it possible?

The receiver is a Pioneer VSX 42A with KEF egg satellite speakers, no sub, I’ll be ditching the eggs.

Could the beam be connected to an audio out of the tv then the out of the receiver be connected to the tv, so I can select sources and have the audio output of the sonos? Only thinking of this option as I have more sources than hdmi‘s on the tv, which is why I suggested maybe needing an hdmi matrix or switch.

Many thanks,

Scott

It's simpler to connect Sonos Port to your AV receiver, isn't it? Not sure why you want to complicate your setup. If you're planning to ditch your AV system, then you'll need an HDMI matrix or switch. I personally would not keep the AV receiver as well as the Beam system.

Scotttomo

Apr 12, 2020
Visit site
What does the port do?
Not wanting to complicate the setup, If anything it’s just for the convenience of being able to switch between sources, that’s it, if possible? I’ll be ditching the speakers and just using the receiver (if possible) as a through for the channels of the sources. More so that I’m not having to spend extra on an hdmi matrix or switch if its doable.

Sonos Port connects to your AV receiver. So you can use your existing speakers to play Sonos. HDMI switch is available for only £35 so hardly a significant expense. You'll get more than that by selling your existing gear. There are cheaper ones available too. I do not know how you can coordinate the AV receiver and Sonos beam so you can play only one of the the two at a time.

simonali

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
I have a Playbar and auditioned it for good while with and without the sub before deciding the sub wasn't worth spending double the amount on. Still don't regret it as the Playbar goes plenty low.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts