Poundshops £1 HDMI cable reigns supreme

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
theflyingwasp said:
The people who buy these cables were the same brain dead fools that we're fighting in Asda over the Polaroid tvs ...

If you're fighting 'brain dead fools' over the Polaroid tvs in Asda, then what does that make you?

theflyingwasp said:
... I hope their TV blows up and they all burn!

Ok, it seems you'd already answered that.

Evidently you really don't like people with low incomes. You want to fight them in Asda and then you want them to burn after their TVs explode.

Gosh, the consequences of a single misplaced apostrophe! And in this case, both "we're", as printed, and "were", as it might (should?) have been, make logical sense.

T

theflyingwasp

Yes thank you Son_of_SJ now I understand some of the confusion it was ment to be "were" it was late I was tired give the poor wasp a break.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Regarding cheap cables and whether they are as good as expensive cables, six weeks ago I needed another 20m HDMI cable, to go from the kitchen to the front bedroom. Funds being a bit tight, I couldn't afford my usual Lindy cable http://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/audio-video-c107/hdmi-c109/20m-premium-standard-speed-hdmi-cable-p2545, which costs £72. So I looked around in Google, and I found this 20m cable by KabelDirekt http://www.amazon.co.uk/KabelDirekt-Series-Ethernet-supports-Channel/dp/B00G93Q5K6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395771933&sr=8-1&keywords=20m+hdmi+cables , which costs £21. So when the 20m KabelDirekt cable arrived, I was able to compare it directly against my existing Lindy 20m HDMI cable. Using a Blu-ray of Skyfall, I checked both the video and the sound. I couldn't detect a difference between the £21 KabelDirekt cable and the £72 Lindy cable. I wouldn't dream of suggesting that there are NO differences between cables. I'm just saying that I couldn't detect a difference between this particular £21 cable and this particular £72 cable.

I can also quote an instance of comparing cables from the SAME manufacturer. About two years ago I ordered, from Lindy, their standard 2m HDMI cable, which has now been replaced with this £9 equivalent http://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/audio-video-c107/hdmi-c109/2m-premium-high-speed-hdmi-cable-p6514 and I also ordered the predecessor of this £65 cable http://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/audio-video-c107/hdmi-c109/2m-gold-high-speed-hdmi-cable-with-ethernet-p6489. I could detect no difference between the predecessors of the current £9 2m HDMI cable and the current £65 2m cable.

So, in these two comparisons, the cheaper cable was just as good as the considerably more expensive cable. Maybe I'm just deaf and blind! And maybe someone who is young, rather than middle-aged, would have keener eyes and ears.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
professorhat said:
theflyingwasp said:
professorhat said:
I think you're taking this all a bit too seriously Mr Wasp. Besides, many of those in the "higher cost cables make a difference" camp and who buy expensive cables often state that it's their money and, as long as they're happy, it's no one else's business to tell them how to spend their money. I certainly couldn't argue with this.

The same courtesy should really be extended to those who buy budget cables as well I think.

But that's the point I'm kinda trying to make ,if your system is a budget set up by all means grab cheaper cables .but those who have shelled out possibly 5-10-20grand+ on equipment I refuse to believe when it comes to cables they cheap out.

Well you haven't understood my point then. My point is, say someone spent £100,000 on a home cinema system and decided to connect it to their TV using a £1 HDMI cable - if they're happy with that, then it's none of your business and certainly not your right to tell them you think they're "brain dead fools".

You disagree - that's fine. You say you would do different - that's also fine. But actually trying to dictate what someone should and shouldn't spend with their own money is stepping over the line in my opinion.

i wouldn't dictate to anyone who the hell am I .what I've said from the start is I do not understand why people who have spent so much on equipment would then cheap out on cables.

As well as being remarkably rude (no doubt at times for effect) you really do seem to be struggling with both reasoning and empathy.

So, I don't intend to convince you to change your own personal opinion on the issue, but I do hope that you can 'understand' why someone else might go for modestly priced cables. Your own inability to understand thus far is not an argument as to why you're right and others are wrong, it is a demonstrable failing on your part.

I have the sort of system you have been talking about. I would imagine that despite your more expensive tv the fact your audio is from a soundbar means mine has a greater RRP than yours. Yet I use HDMIs costing a few quid. I do so because (i) my subjective experience tells me there is no difference between these and more expensive HDMIs, (ii) even a small amount of research, in particular into the views of those behind the HDMI certification, leads to the conclusion that all functioning HDMIs output the same signal, (iii) a little more research demonstrates that all practical tests back up the theory that they all do an identical job.

As i say, I don't expect you to be convinced that my personal view is right, but do you now understand why at least one other person might use budget cables in an £x000 setup?

davidvann said:
i think im with wasp on this one,you could look it from a different way if some professor said all tv's were built the same and all picture quality were equal,would we all be down tescos buying technica tv's ,all the wasp is saying is that he'd rather buy something that gives him confidence buying quality brand like audioquest that he's getting the best out of his equipment,if he feels that he can see an improvement using these cables who are we to judge ,and again i say if someone said that they could'nt see a difference between a technica and a panasonic/ pionneer would they also be blind.just saying david

The problem isn't having an opinion. Everyone is entitled to one. The problem is lack of respect (to the level of insult) towards everyone who holds a different opinion.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Swarming on a nasty insect (by chosen name) is nothing to do with cables, Poundland nor Asda. His views and opinions are his and we all have those whether opinionistic, biassed, misinformed, right or wrong.

The issue is that most of us object to blatent insult towards people not sharing his views and particularly when directed towards those (perhaps) less fortunate than ouselves.

The buzzword here is manners.

:cheers:

Was it Newton who said those buying into Apples have more money than sense? :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I am one of those that prefer to use a good quality cable when connecting up my equipment. I don't have a mega expensive system (about £14k by my reckoning without cables) but it is revealing, and I am of the mind that I don't really want to hold back any part of my system by using a cable that could limit its capabilities. I'll only use bog standard stuff as a temporary measure, or for sources that really aren't an issue to me (which is basically everything but the Bluray player). I want to know that there's nothing in the signal path that could be thwarting quality anywhere between the disc itself and my speakers. So yes, I will invest in HDMI cables that are more expensive than the norm, but I'm not going to sit there comparing USB and Ethernet cables as I'd rather spend that time listening to music or watching movies. If I ever do perform any (non scientific) testing of my HDMI cables (or others), I'll let everyone know my findings, for what its worth.

T

theflyingwasp

Back from Asda

having read this thread again I retract and apologise for nothing.my comments were never about budget cables of any price and quality or people on low incomes who simply cannot afford the equipment they want.this was about the person who after spending a small fortune on high end equipment then buys a £1 cable from poundland.

NOT a £5 THAT cable or LINDY cable or AUDIOQUEST cable or any other respected brand name budget cable of good or great build quality but a £1 cable from poundland!!!!

Edited by mods - you've crossed the line a few times today. Please stop insulting others.

The thought of saying to the salesman at Peter Tysons after spending £5000

"are you ok for hdmi cables sir"

" yes thank you I'm off to poundland after this"

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
Panasonic TX-P60ZT65 (limited edition - calibrated),Panasonic TX-P50GT50 (calibrated),Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player,Yamaha YSP 2200 Soundbar,Apple iPad 4,iPad mini,iPad Air,IMac i7 27 inch(custom built),Apple TV,iPod Touch 5th Generation,iPhone 5s,Playstation 3(fat),Playstation 4,PS Vita, Xbox360 Elite,Xbox One,Nintendo Wii U,Virgin TiVo box,Ruark R1 ,Ruark R4i,Ruark MR1 Speakers,Bowers & Wilkins P7 Headphones,RHA MA750i - In Ear Headphones, Fiio E12 Headphone Amplifier,Lifx Light System.Audioquest Chocolate & Carbon HDMI Cables.

I've just noticed you have calibrated TV's, you probably need the expensive HDMI cables ;-)

D

Deleted member 2457

theflyingwasp said:
Back from Asda

having read this thread again I retract and apologise for nothing.my comments were never about budget cables of any price and quality or people on low incomes who simply cannot afford the equipment they want.this was about the person who after spending a small fortune on high end equipment then buys a £1 cable from poundland.

NOT a £5 THAT cable or LINDY cable or AUDIOQUEST cable or any other respected brand name budget cable of good or great build quality but a £1 cable from poundland!!!!

Edited by mods - you've crossed the line a few times today. Please stop insulting others.[/b]

The thought of saying to the salesman at Peter Tysons after spending £5000

"are you ok for hdmi cables sir"

" yes thank you I'm off to poundland after this"

From your signature you don't have a home cinema system do you?

T

theflyingwasp

It was the choice between pioneer lx87 with the monitor audio apex 7.1 or the limited edition omega skyfall watch

the watch won

getting the amp and speakers in September.

D

Deleted member 2457

theflyingwasp said:
It was the choice between pioneer lx87 with the monitor audio apex 7.1 or the limited edition omega skyfall watch

the watch won

getting the amp and speakers in September.

I wouldn't go above what WHF recommend on cables then. I used them as a buying guide and did well, some home cinema shops do try and get you to pay extra when you don't really have to.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I am genuinely blessed by being surrounded my whole life by wonderful friends, family & colleagues. Thank goodness we never met. I'll leave this thread with just a little sadness for those intolerant of others

T

theflyingwasp

As you can imagine gel after tonight's pounding cables are the last thing on my mind. :)

T

theflyingwasp

RobinKidderminster said:
I am genuinely blessed by being surrounded my whole life by wonderful friends, family & colleagues. Thank goodness we never met. I'll leave this thread with just a little sadness for those intolerant of others

its just a harmless debate :)

we may meet in Asda .i will be the guy with no shoes ,you will be the guy shaking his head in shear disbelief .

D

Deleted member 2457

theflyingwasp said:
As you can imagine gel after tonight's pounding cables are the last thing on my mind. :)

I sort of get where you are coming from it just hasn't come across too well. :). It happens, I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't stick pound cables in my system either but do accept they are probably just as good. I use the buying guide WHF set out to make my decisions and I am cool with that. I also get good discounts when I buy my stuff. When you buy your system buy from Sevenoaks, they hand out good discounts. I got 27 per cent off my home cinema system.

T

theflyingwasp

Yes GEL I hope I haven't really insulted anyone .no post tonight was typed in anger or to insult .its just one of those subjects I feel strongly about.i may get a small discount for cash hopefully but after I buy the apex and pioneer I won't have to think about home cinema for a while.

T

theflyingwasp

bigboss said:
theflyingwasp said:
Edited by mods - you've crossed the line a few times today. Please stop insulting others.

I see the mods have intervened. I hope it cools down now.

yes I saw that BB :wall:

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hello!

Do these "Poundland cables" have an actual name? I was just wondering whether any are ever offered on eBay and of course if they attract any bids (sad/funny as it may sound, it wouldn't surprise me at all).

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
As this thread in about cable comparisons, I'm hoping to get some reaction to my post in which I twice compared cheaper with more expensive cables, post number 7 on page 4 of this thread .......

TRENDING THREADS