Chord HDMI Cable Advice Please

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

First of all - I do not want this to turn into another cable debate so please no snake oil comments.

I have always bought (2nd hand via eBay as I can't bring myself to buy new due to price) Chord Cables and been very happy with them.

I recently sold and am selling presently my old HDMI Active cables (the ones with the blue ends), I replaced them with the newer HDMI Advance Chord cables to go with my Panny HD tv etc ....

I have now bought but not collected a new LG OLED 4K tv and have got (but sent back to LG for repair) their 4K UHD disc spinner.

If (and this is where I don't want it to transcend into another cable debate) you believe the Chord recommendations the Advance leads are only for HD 1.4 HDMI displays.

They recommend their C Line HDMI leads for 4K displays etc .... Do I therefore need to buy 2 of these leads (1 from Arcam 450 amp to tv and 1 direct from LG UHD player direct to tv) for my OLED LG tv to benefit from a true 4K display or will my Advance leads be ok ?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

abacus

psurquhart said:
Hi,

First of all - I do not want this to turn into another cable debate so please no snake oil comments.

I have always bought (2nd hand via eBay as I can't bring myself to buy new due to price) Chord Cables and been very happy with them.

I recently sold and am selling presently my old HDMI Active cables (the ones with the blue ends), I replaced them with the newer HDMI Advance Chord cables to go with my Panny HD tv etc ....

I have now bought but not collected a new LG OLED 4K tv and have got (but sent back to LG for repair) their 4K UHD disc spinner.

If (and this is where I don't want it to transcend into another cable debate) you believe the Chord recommendations the Advance leads are only for HD 1.4 HDMI displays.

They recommend their C Line HDMI leads for 4K displays etc .... Do I therefore need to buy 2 of these leads (1 from Arcam 450 amp to tv and 1 direct from LG UHD player direct to tv) for my OLED LG tv to benefit from a true 4K display or will my Advance leads be ok ?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Any decent HDMI cable made in the last 5 years will probably be fine over short distances, so just try out what you have, and if they work OK (As HDMI cables transfer digital information they either work or they don’t) then stick with them, if not, just buy some decent cables from Maplin’s or similar.

Never believe what you read in an advertisement or what a Hi-Fi Cable manufacture tells you (Their aim is purely to make money) but just try it out yourself.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Bil

jjbomber

psurquhart said:
Hi,

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Try them for yourself and see if you can tell the difference. We don't know how good your hearing or vision is, so it's impossible for us to say. Only you can be the judge. If the C Line are better for you, then go with them. If not, then stay with the Advance.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replys guys.

I think I am still a little confused though.

Bearing in mind I am trying to get the best compatible picture and sound out of my new set up.

I was reading some stuff about the cables (Chord C View) updated HDMI v2.0 aspect which is supposedly aimed at 4K displays in particular.

The cables I use as mentioned above are Chord HDMI v1.4 - Chord Advance.

Their is mention that the newer v2.0 can handle higher frame rates specific to UHD 4K displays. Particularly in UHD playback (films) and things like my Xbox One for gaming at 60 frames per second. Then theirs the colour bandwidth to take into account.

HDMI v1.4 can only supposedly handle 4K images up to 24 frames per second and only colour bandwidth up to 8-bit but modern HDR and Dolby Vision can transfer colour data up to 10 and even 12 bit colour at 4K.

So who is right here ? I am only quoting what I have read so please do not think I am an expert because I am not, hence the post.

As I said - just want to maximise the new tech with my set up.

I will eventually have an LG OLED 55B6V (bought but sitting in Richer Sounds Maidstone's store room - don't ask).

An Xbox One S.

And a poorly / sent back to LG in disgust UP970 UHD 4K player.

I was also now beginning to wonder if my Arcam AVR450 will be HDMI v2.0 enabled or wether that even matters ? It supposedly passes through a 4K image.

So I am getting ever more confused and probably over thinking cos that's what I do !!!

So surely I need to get at least 3 new C-Line cables ? 1 x For Arcam AVR450 amp to tv, 1 x Xbox to Arcam amp, 1 x HDMI video output of LG UHD player direct to tv ???

Can one of you clever people put my mind at rest for once and all please ? Don't want to spend for the sake of spending if it is a waste of my hard earned dosh but if need be I will (via the 2nd hand route as and when a lead pops up on flea bay).

Thanks again.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
your Arcam AVR450 has only v1.4 hdmi inputs and outputs so is unable to pass through a true 4K signal from your UHD player through your amp to your tv.

your LG UP970 has two hdmi outputs, one v2.0 and one v1.4 so you would connect your amp to the v1.4 output and your tv to the v2.0 output.

*music2*

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
macdiddy said:
your Arcam AVR450 has only v1.4 hdmi inputs and outputs so is unable to pass through a true 4K signal from your UHD player through your amp to your tv.

your LG UP970 has two hdmi outputs, one v2.0 and one v1.4 so you would connect your amp to the v1.4 output and your tv to the v2.0 output.

*music2*

Thanks for the reply.

I kinda guessed that about the Arcam but I was always going to use the picture HDMI out of the UP970 straight to the tv anyway and the sound HDMI out to the Arcam amp.

Still doesn't clarify the tech side so would still be interested in others comments.

I am also not sure how many HDMI v2.0 inputs my new LG OLED tv has either ? Perhaps Gel could clarify as I believe he has my same set ?

If it has two inputs then I guess I would put the Sky Box for Ultra HD stuff to one and the LG UP970 to the other (if it has two).

Then the v1.4 input can be for my Arcam amp ?

This still doesn't clear my question up but at least I may or may not now only need 2 leads ?

You need to connect your Xbox and UHD player directly to the LG TV via HDMI 2.0 cable, and from TV to the Arcam via either HDMI 1.4 or HDMI 2.0 via ARC. Or you can connect the 2nd HDMI port of the LG to the Arcam for audio via HDMI 1.4 or 2.0 cable.

All HDMI ports on LG E6 are HDMI 2.0a.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
psurquhart said:
Thanks for the replys guys.

I think I am still a little confused though.

Bearing in mind I am trying to get the best compatible picture and sound out of my new set up.

I was reading some stuff about the cables (Chord C View) updated HDMI v2.0 aspect which is supposedly aimed at 4K displays in particular.

The cables I use as mentioned above are Chord HDMI v1.4 - Chord Advance.

Their is mention that the newer v2.0 can handle higher frame rates specific to UHD 4K displays. Particularly in UHD playback (films) and things like my Xbox One for gaming at 60 frames per second. Then theirs the colour bandwidth to take into account.

HDMI v1.4 can only supposedly handle 4K images up to 24 frames per second and only colour bandwidth up to 8-bit but modern HDR and Dolby Vision can transfer colour data up to 10 and even 12 bit colour at 4K.

So who is right here ? I am only quoting what I have read so please do not think I am an expert As I said - just want to maximise the new tech with my set upwill eventually have an LG OLED 55B6V (bought but sitting in Richer Sounds Maidstone's store room - don't ask).

An Xbox One S.

And a poorly / sent back to LG in disgust UP970 UHD 4K player.

I was also now beginning to wonder if my Arcam AVR450 will be HDMI v2.0 enabled or wether that even matters ? It supposedly passes through a 4K image.

So I am getting ever more confused and probably over thinking cos that's what I do !!!

So surely I need to get at least 3 new C-Line cables ? 1 x For Arcam AVR450 amp to tv, 1 x Xbox to Arcam amp, 1 x HDMI video output of LG UHD player direct to tv ???

Can one of you clever people put my mind at rest for once and all please ? Don't want to spend for the sake of spending if it is a waste of my hard earned dosh but if need be I will (via the 2nd hand route as and when a lead pops up on flea bay).

Thanks again.

Sorry to keep barking on but can someone answer my technical querys at all (please read the above).

Oh and not the part about the Arcam AV amp as others have wrapped that part up - thanks guys.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Big Boss,

I was merely wondering wether my 1.4 Advance cables would do or wether I really do need to buy the more expensive C View cables to get the best picture quality etc that would benefit my tv and UHD player.

If you read some of the first replys people are generally saying that my exsisting cables would do but if you read the stuff written about the C Stream cables (both by Chord and others) I need to invest in them. Someone above said not to believe in what cable manufacturers say.

If what is written is true about colour bits and fps then I do need the C View cables (well two at least of them anyway). Others believe that cables make no difference at all.

Merely trying to work out who's right and who's wrong.

HDMI cables will either work or not work. If you can't see an image with your existing cables when watching 4K programmes, you can upgrade. I'm not sure of your decision of buying second hand chord cables.....you don't even know if they're genuine. Check out Neet cables on Amazon.....their quality can't be beaten.

TRENDING THREADS