Not another cable thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
At the moment:

Upstairs system:

For midrange and treble: Coincident Frankenstein prototype £1650 2nd hand connected to 9 metres Cat 6 networking cable at about 20 pence per metre

For bass JBL 6230 £85 2nd hand connected to 9 metres doubled up Cat 6 cable about 40 pence per metre

TV system:

Creek 4040 amp, bought new in 1983 fo £99. About 15 metres of B&Q 79 strand cable. I think the cable was about £1 per metre.

Main system: Koneff 45 clone bought new for £1250. Using it with 762 strand non branded cable. Paid £120 for a 100 metre reel - making it £2.40 per stereo metre.

Kitchen system:

JBL 6290 bought 2nd hand for £150. Using it with some of the 100 metre reel of 762 strand.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I use different cable for floorstanders, copper litz 9AWG = 2x6mm^2, and for standmounts audioquest type 4 with solid core conductors, equivalent of 16AWG.

9AWG wont fit the terminals, but I use it bare, and only half of the litz wires (just fold back and isolate with tape the other half). This to me is better connection that banana plugs. Of course 12AWG has more resistance than 9AWG, but this way has less than using banana plugs. And don't start me on how much I hate the damn things, popping off, killing poor amps, shorting them out. Terrible.

I have others, including DIY work like braided star quad configuration with CAT5 wire. Too ugly to stay plugged in sight, although it sounds no less than any other cable. I also have 30A rated solid core wires for electrical lines, twisted as a helix to reduce inductivity.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Speaker cables are Chord Epic.

Chris

nice one was thinking about using them also - hows the top end when pushed?

I'm not a believer and bought them because the dealer recommended them and the cost was not material to me. They work fine at all levels.

Chris

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Of this post. Lots of debates about cables but most non believers are using the expensive cables anyway.

And for me id be more comfortable anyway

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Of this post. Lots of debates about cables but most non believers are using the expensive cables anyway.

And for me id be more comfortable anyway

One point to keep in mind is that opinions change, so expensive cables May have been purchased at. a stage where they believed cables do make a difference.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
My amp? Whatever inside my Genelecs + whatever inside my Yamahas.

Speaker cable? Whatever inside my Genelecs + whatever inside my Yamahas.

All cables connecting power amp with drivers very short.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Is it not the folks who have purchased expensive 'speaker-wire' that protesteth so much ?

Good grief it is just speaker wire, not rocket science, shops who have been able to get away with 'ripping-off' the gullable are NOW being found out..... all over the web.

The folks who were 'duped' into buying such expensive wire, lol (shame really, they HAD the monies), to relay soundwaves.... they are the very people who will always try to back-up the buying of expensive 'wires' knowing that it is 'they' who have been duped.

Sad days indeed.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
One can argue whether the internet has been a force for good or bad, but what is encouraging (to me at least) is that the number of nonsense threads about mains cables, mains conditioners and interconnects has slowly dwindled to a trickle.

I would like to think that the number of posters who explain that the fanciful claims made by the manufacturers and sellers of these products are technically impossible has finally made some impact on the users of this forum.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
andyjm said:
One can argue whether the internet has been a force for good or bad, but what is encouraging (to me at least) is that the number of nonsense threads about mains cables, mains conditioners and interconnects has slowly dwindled to a trickle.

Trickle

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
andyjm said:

I would like to think that the number of posters who explain that the fanciful claims made by the manufacturers and sellers of these products are technically impossible has finally made some impact on the users of this forum.

IMO. The dwindling of these types of thread has nothing to do with the great unwashed having been educated by the more enlightened and everything to do with the toxic enviroment that these subjects create.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
andyjm said:

IMO. The dwindling of these types of thread has nothing to do with the great unwashed having been educated by the more enlightened and everything to do with the toxic enviroment that these subjects create.

Maybe as one of the 'great unwashed' I did learn something but it doesn't take many threads to get the general idea, after that for most of us who have an ounce of sense, we dont need to argue about it or read people arguing about it - life is too short to spend your time reading dreadfully boring (IMO) cable threads. *smile*

michael hoy

Andrewjvt said:
Seems we have been over loaded with cable debates over the last few weeks I thought id try one just for fun.

Please please please dont get into a fight between believers and non believers just simply state your amp, Cost of amp and what brand of speaker cables with the cost so we can see what everyone is using: I have a feeling that even the most strict cables dont sound different person uses good quality cables.

So Ill Start. Amp Hegel H160. cables Qed XT @ £6/meter

I am getting thicker cables BTW as not happy with them

Back to the OP's origin request - Please please please dont get into a fight between believers and non believers.

The OP does not want opinions just state your hardware and what cable you use.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I bought my current cabling recently after being involved in many of these threads.

I went chasing them they were very expensive I don't feel duped one bit.

I think good cabling is another attention to detail one can take to get better sound from their system

However I would put the priority behind other keys areas. Number 1 being bass response.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Source: NAD M50 (2500 EUR -- paid 1600)

SPDIF (coax): generic (some 10 EUR)

Amp: Devialet D120 (5000 EUR)

SC: generic copper cable; don't know the gauge (they're <2 m anyway), nor the price -- must have been pretty cheap back in the day...

Speakers: KEF LS-50 (1000 EUR -- paid 800)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Its been mixed for me. The reason i wanted to know price of amps was to see spend of cable in relation to cost of amps and if people using expensive amps still used cheap cable or not. ( was never intended as a pi ssing contest)

Other reason was to see if non believers still used expensive cable

Some do and some dont it seems 50/50

This week ill be getting the 500 strand ofc cable ( no name brand) at about £6 meter and ill run this for about 3 months then ill demo comparred to £50 cable to see for myself. I do need to do this for my own piece of mind so over the next few years dont ever think about it but only the music.

I am starting to think that my room acoustics are to blame for my need for better cable as i originally thought i had a good room but now looking at it i have a lot of hard surface area and the dimentions are not perfect.

Thanks for all the replies

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Hahahah made up bs Thought youd be more interested in the goodmans mono blocks

Those I figured didn't exist but wasn't sure about the Bush 9/11 towers. Lolz.

BTW I bought 9AWG 500 litz copper wire from a spool for 10 quid 2x6ft. It kicked some Audioquest Type 4 butt with these 4 ohm closed box floorstanders. They suck a lot of current from the amp and damping factor comes into play for better control of the woofers. Lower resistance wire eats away less of the DF. Thicker gauge = lower resistance. More litz wires inside the cable = more current delivery.

You wont go wrong buying those cables you mentioned.
thumbs_up.gif

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
My amps are Electrocompaniet EC4.8 pre and a pair of AW180 monoblock power amps ( £8290 ) I bought ex demo for £5750 and I use Van Damme 4mm HiFi cable at £4.85 per meter they are only 0.75 of a meter long each but I use long 4m Van Damme Starquad balanced XLR microphone cables from pre amp to monoblocks at £19 each .

Oh and my power amps have a peak current deliver of 100 amps each which I believe equates to several kilowatts of transient power I think . *good*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts