Wool over the eyes . . . ?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Things are moving real quick . . . ! everything is coming together, literal, it needs to, my listening room is small. I live in a Victorian cottage, so, to maximise the space, I've had to be imaginative with furniture and hifi. Working to an inch or less in places, so I need exact dimensions. The good side is the TT/amplifier/CD are well away from the speakers, down side, necessitating a long speaker cable run.

Looking at my hifi, it is entry level or perhaps quality budget? I have been using Linn K20 happily at 4m. I used K20 for years in my audiophile days, in fact its those cables I have dug out for now.

So one needs 2 eight meter runs, no problem, I know K20 is still available at a reasonable £5'ish a meter. Phone call to the local Linn dealers . . . best I was offered, Chord at £13pm! I looked back at the internet, £4.90 inc., pp from Peter Tyson Audio, 16 meters is being delivered tomorrow via next day courier, I have no sympathy for retailers who complain, the net is killing them . . . ?

Similar thing with interconnects, I use my own version, compared with some very pricey IC's on Wednesday when I did my listening test on the amp. I paid less than a £1 a meter for the cable, used old QED nickle phono plugs, we swapped over after a good listen, my IC cables injected life into the performance, subtle yes, but my preference. The words of the thread title come to mind? or do we want to kid ourselves, more money equals better sound quality . . . ?

I can see my eventual system being bettered, easily. However, if I'm happy with the sound, I have no one else to convince. I dont go to hifi shows, I have no true hifi acquaintances, you cant compare multi channel hifi with a stage bound 'auditorium performance' in your own home. Hazel is happy if I'm happy, what more can one ask . . . we are loving our music, I'm enjoying showing Hazel what real hifi music can sound like . . . Sorry if that sounds arrogant, its not meant to, its just me enjoying life like I have not don for years . . . 1995, its a long time since my Kathy died . . .

Recommendation . . . I'm currently as I write, listening to 'Best of Kathleen Tickell', you would never think of putting a Clarinet with Northumbrian Pipes, track 6, magic, its a Spotify stream, but I will be looking for the album . . .

CJSF

matthewpiano

You've got the right idea - enjoying your music. There will always be something 'better' or 'different' out there, but you know you've got something special when you can sit back and relax, listening to old favourites and discovering new music. May your listening pleasure continue!

John Duncan

matthewpiano said:
You've got the right idea - enjoying your music. There will always be something 'better' or 'different' out there, but you know you've got something special when you can sit back and relax, listening to old favourites and discovering new music. May your listening pleasure continue!

+1

Nobody *here* is ever going to criticise you for having a system you enjoy...

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
CJSF, if it sounds right to you...then it is right :)

You've obviously been on one hell of a journey recently, rediscovering HiFi and enjoying your music.

You do realise that the next stage is to take some photos so we can all see the new system when it's all in place :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
All of the above...
Sounds to me like you've got a great system you enjoy listening to.
That, Sir, is heaven in a box (well ok, several boxes).

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all, yes I have been through the mill over the past 9 months, most of which has not been detailed her, but, as Chebby realised, I was so confused, trying to marry up '15 years of experience' that came to an end 20 year ago . . . old memory to modern thinking . . . a tough call in my book. Trying to get this dyslexic brain into gear is hard, sorry Shropshire lad, I did mean Kathryn Tickell, some of the tracks are stunning, a bit of a slip there, my dear late wife was a Kathleen . . .

As you say, I'm very satisfied, simply with my hotch potch system, but the building of the new system has been generally a pleasant, if at times, frustrating experience. I now have all but the TT and cartridge here, they will be collected next week, I will start the shelving at the weekend. Now there is a thing, trying to marry domestic shelves into isolated hifi shelves so they still look like domestic shelves . . . I have a few thoughts, radical, but I've done it before . . .

We listened long into the night last night, mostly Kathryn Tickell . . . the tracks are so varied on the album, it was not boring, not only can she play and arrange music, she has a lovely singing voice. There are some poetry tracks on the album as well, her reciting voice is very natural and engaging . . . the hifi edge, spoken voice reproduction is perfect, (IMHO) on the hotch potch system.

A new-old hobby, that I never new I enjoyed so much, its a pleasure to have shed the audiophole thinking but keep the experiance . . . to share it with Hazel is a pleasure, and with you all, thank you once again. CJSF & Hazel

A

Anonymous

Well said, it's about the music! my system on paper isnt that great but to my ear's sound's fabtastic.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CJSF said:
Similar thing with interconnects, I use my own version, compared with some very pricey IC's on Wednesday when I did my listening test on the amp. I paid less than a £1 a meter for the cable, used old QED nickle phono plugs, we swapped over after a good listen, my IC cables injected life into the performance, subtle yes, but my preference. The words of the thread title come to mind? or do we want to kid ourselves, more money equals better sound quality . . . ?

I would recommend Linn Black I/Cs that can usually be bought on Ebay for £12-£15 (people get them included along with their Linn kit, and then sell them on).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linn-Black-phono-Interconnect-1-2m-/220871903310?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item336cfdc84e or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linn-Analogue-Audio-Interconnect-1-2-Metres-New-/260868166307?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item3cbcf452a3#ht_500wt_1287

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts