New ATC SCM19..!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok thanks guys

i never realised what hi-fi had reviewed the 19s b4 mind you the review is pretty ancient now thats why i missed it.

big thanks to Musicraft for the pricing.

so what are your thoughts of a pair of speakers to fit in with my system my maximum price is about £1500 secondhand or new.

For me the kefs are not gelling as well as i thought with the roksan amp and I'm not changing that so its out with the speakers i think.

Your views required.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The Mad One said:
Ok thanks guys i never realised what hi-fi had reviewed the 19s b4 mind you the review is pretty ancient now thats why i missed it. big thanks to Musicraft for the pricing. so what are your thoughts of a pair of speakers to fit in with my system my maximum price is about £1500 secondhand or new. For me the kefs are not gelling as well as i thought with the roksan amp and I'm not changing that so its out with the speakers i think. Your views required.

In what way do you wish to change the sound ie. In terms of bass / treble / midrange? Is the sound too coarse / smooth / polite / bright / bass-light?

The Mad One said:
Ok thanks guys i never realised what hi-fi had reviewed the 19s b4 mind you the review is pretty ancient now thats why i missed it. .

Just because it's ancient doesn't mean to say they are less capable. Think Electrocompaniet, Exposure... and many other brands that don't upgrade within a 3-5 year period.

The ATC SCM11s and 19 were in business for around 6 years before this recent facelift.

alchemist 1 said:
plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi The Mad One

curved SCM19 monitors £1996 and curved SCM40 monitors £3275

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Jeeze, that's a price hike from £2,100.
That's the rising CURVE of inflation, or [profits]...........:roll:

Hi alchemist 1

Based on the previous Entry Series and the new curved SCM7 and curved SCM11's I think that the new curved SCM19 and SCM40 monitors will also offer excellent value for money :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi The Mad One

curved SCM19 monitors £1996 and curved SCM40 monitors £3275

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Jeeze, that's a price hike from £2,100.

Hi plastic penguin

£2100?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A few years ago the SCM 40s RRP was £2,000 (Awards mag 2006), and according to WHFI's price guide in July 2013 and the current review is £2185. I know these figures vary from one retailer to another, but no more [I would hope] than £200 each way. Worst case scenario should only be around £2500, so that's still roughly £800 difference.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
The Mad One said:
Ok thanks guys i never realised what hi-fi had reviewed the 19s b4 mind you the review is pretty ancient now thats why i missed it. .

Just because it's ancient doesn't mean to say they are less capable. Think Electrocompaniet, Exposure... and many other brands that don't upgrade within a 3-5 year period.

The ATC SCM11s and 19 were in business for around 6 years before this recent facelift.

I think the longest serving amplifiers in the Electrocompaniet power amp range that have remained unchanged and are still currently available are the AW 180 monoblocks at 20 years , closely followed by the Nemo monoblocks at 14 years .

If you get it right first time why change it :)

Sorry to go off topic :silenced:

Electro said:
plastic penguin said:
The Mad One said:

I think the longest serving amplifiers in the Electrocompaniet power amp range that have remained unchanged and are still currently available are the AW 180 monoblocks at 20 years , closely followed by the Nemo monoblocks at 14 years .

If you get it right first time why change it :)

Sorry to go off topic :silenced:

That was my point. Old can be gold.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
I think the new curved ATC monitors look better then their predecessors
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I think they look OK without the grille, but with the grille i find them VERY ugly. :doh:

With another visually non-transparant grille i would buy the curved SCM11 without a doubt. ;)

ATC-SCM19-speaker_grill-on-651x1024.jpg

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
I think I prefer the old standmounts but the new 40s. I think the mid/bass units on the new standmounts are ugly with the octagonal surround. I would definitely find them more attractive in a nicer veneer - the 40s would look good in something like ebony. At the new prices I'd hope they were finished better than my old ones!

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok update.

I've just purchased to the JBL studio 530 speakers firstly they are the most odd looking speakers I've ever seen BUT the sound I'm now getting is just amazing i know its early days but i think these are keepers.

The problem i had with the LS50s is they sounded dull with the roksan amp it just go's to show that not all speakers/Amps gel with each other and I've learnt this through upgrading the amp assuming the speakers would improve with a more costly amp.

I'm now getting a more enjoyable sound with amazing soundstage and good bass as a bonus

krolikgena

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
MattSPL said:
I really like the look of the new ATC's :)

The scm19's look like tanks with that monster SL mid bass unit.

well, at least it looks slim and unique. the new one is just fat and bulky, like barrel. with the same monster mid bass unit )

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
krolikgena said:
MattSPL said:
I really like the look of the new ATC's :)

The scm19's look like tanks with that monster SL mid bass unit.

well, at least it looks slim and unique. the new one is just fat and bulky, like barrel. with the same monster mid bass unit )

They do look a little barrel like, but as with all ATC's, they look like they are bomb proof and mean business. A pair of the new curved scm19's in the textured Pro Black finish would be perfect :grin:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts