Sonus Faber Lumina II: Leather jacketed (or is that pleather) Italian crooners.

robdmarsh

The Sonus Faber Lumina II is an interesting looking little speaker, echoing the luxury of the speakers further up the line of the swish Italian brand. It's worth dwelling a bit on their design and build as there are a few things to say. The use of materials is reminiscent of upmarket furniture: the plywood front baffle is inlaid with thin metal stripes and there is a chrome finish around the woofer and the rubber surround to the tweeter and if you're wondering, that leather jacket is brilliantly and seamlessly joined to the vinyl back of the cabinet.

The whole impression is pretty posh and great care has been taken in attention to detail but the overall look is a bit fussy in my opinion. They also look a tad squat to me as the vent for the downward firing port makes them look shorter than they actually are, and the other problem with this is that there is a rather fragile looking plinth all around the bottom of the speaker and I could imagine trouble if someone over-enthusiastically plonks them down on metal stands after a couple of shandies.

My first 48 hours with these speakers was bizarre. They didn't sound right at all out of the box and I did my best to ignore them, playing them quietly, but on the second day they actually sounded worse to the point where I thought they must be damaged. The upper mid range and treble kind of fused together like badly meshed gears and the bass was saggy and plodding.

And then on the third day, this disappeared like the way a toddler's tantrum inexplicably stops having also started for no reason. They were sounding pretty good but I thought they needed a bit of tweaking placement wise. I toed them in less than I do for my Triangles and suddenly I was getting fantastic imaging. With the superb "I need to start a garden" by Hayley Heynderickx (nightmare to find on streaming services with that spelling) I could pinpoint her voice and right in the middle of the sound stage with the other instruments arranged around and behind it. Every inflection of her voice was apparent and the detail emerging from the accompanying instruments led me to imagine the space where it was recorded.

Higher frequency detail is definitely this speaker's party trick but having been initially wowed by it I found that it was beginning to sound detached from the mid range and the overall impression I was getting was a lack of richness. My Triangle Titus definitely sound less resolving but there is a creamy quality to vocals absent from the Luminas. The micro dynamics are also there with the Titus but less etched in the sound scape and more suggested. Moving on to bigger sounding music, the kind of synthesized trombone sound (I can't think of a better way to describe it) in Michael Kiwanuka's "In denial" does not sound as impactful and cathedral like as it should do. Drums are also less explosive and in my system the downward firing port is not preventing the bass from sounding occasionally boomy.

I suspect though that these shortcomings are not the speakers' fault and that they would be much happier with an amplifier with more muscle. The greater audible detail is there not just in the higher frequencies and this as well as the incredible imaging I think would be better exploited with more power on tap. However, I must say that its performance with a more budget friendly amp was a bit disappointing. That a speaker's performance should scale up with higher level partnering equipment is of course one mark of its true quality. But base line performance is also important and when a speaker manages to sound special with more modest equipment this to my mind is a more remarkable achievement and this is what the Triangle Titus accomplishes spectacularly.

Last edited:
I saw these recently in Audio T Bristol and was surprised how small they are. Obviously, the 1 is even dinkier!

Having first heard and loved Sf in the late 1980s I’ve followed them over the years, and owned some for over 25 years.

I agree about the amplifiers, because they are invariably paired with luxury and superior brands so it’s hard to compare with similarly priced speakers.

Reactions: Al ears

robdmarsh

I agree about the amplifiers, because they are invariably paired with luxury and superior brands so it’s hard to compare with similarly priced speakers.
They might be targeting buyers with higher range amps but I'm sure that the performance of the Triangles would also get better with higher end pairings. What I heard in my system, however, was pretty disappointing and most of the time I was turning it down because the treble was dominating.

Another thing about the build: I'm not sure about "pleather" as a cabinet finish. Pretty easy to scuff in my opinion.

manicm

Official specs are 86db and 4ohms nominal. So on paper at least it's clear an amp with a solid power supply is required. Your Marantz 612 and the like are not going to cut it.

On the other hand several reviews I've read have suggested this speaker has slightly lifted treble, so a powerful and suitable amp is required, depending on taste.

Reactions: RoA and Al ears

robdmarsh

I have a Denon pma 800ne (50 wpc into 8ohms, 85 into 4) so it's not exactly wimpy. In fact it sounds very punchy with my usual speakers.

The thing is, although my Triangle Titus are 90db sensitive and nominally rated at 8 ohms, they dip down to 3.8 I believe, and the Denon is absolutely fine with them.

robdmarsh

It's an odd one the results I got with this speaker in my system. I feel that SF is missing an opportunity not making these speakers more user friendly with amps at the £500 mark. Has anyone else experienced this speaker with an amp at this level, such as the Marantz pm6007?

I'm not sure what Darko tested them with, he annoyingly doesn't say, but he often uses higher end gear to hear the best possible performance from a speaker. In the video I can see the Naim Atom, which is by no means a power monster.

WayneKerr

Maybe my comments came across as a little harsh, Rob, apologies. I haven't owned that many speakers over the years but I have noticed that my earlier very aesthetically pleasing speakers were nowhere near as good as the bland ones I have owned by PMC and Harbeth :)

Last edited:
Well... I'm not sure I'd go that far but it's true they didn't meet my expectations on this occasion.
I’ve just sen an interesting review by Darko on YouTube about QA Concept 30 comparing ‘your’ Sf and the KEF LS50. (The QA look great in the grey finish that I’ve seen pictured in someone’s home).

The KEF and QA are made in PRC, and a the Sf are I believe assembled in Italy, (unlike their earlier Venere range) though I somehow doubt the ingredients are made in Italy at this price

robdmarsh

The KEF and QA are made in PRC, and a the Sf are I believe assembled in Italy, (unlike their earlier Venere range) though I somehow doubt the ingredients are made in Italy at this price
Well, this is the thing isn't it, imagine the cost of a speaker such as this with these kinds of materials assembled in Italy versus other manufacturers going with more prosaic finishes and materials and assembled in China. Then there is the direct to consumer model as espoused by Buchardt, who I think quite rightly claim to be offering very compelling products from a value for money point of view.

I think these SF speakers are very well-built and designed but I think they might be aiming at a consumer here who prioritises aesthetics and style. They are not bad speakers, far from it, but I think their usual customer, who wants style AND great sound is willing to pay quite a lot more to get it.

I think the Lumina range is a bit of a departure for Sonus Faber and from an SQ point of view only, my money would go elsewhere. I could be wrong, and perhaps these speakers sound incredible with the "right" amplification. I'd like to hear it if that is the case.

D

Deleted member 195594

It's an odd one the results I got with this speaker in my system. I feel that SF is missing an opportunity not making these speakers more user friendly with amps at the £500 mark. Has anyone else experienced this speaker with an amp at this level, such as the Marantz pm6007?

I'm not sure what Darko tested them with, he annoyingly doesn't say, but he often uses higher end gear to hear the best possible performance from a speaker. In the video I can see the Naim Atom, which is by no means a power monster.

Andrew Robinson tested the SF L2's with a range of amps if varying price points and specs. I think he tried it with a Rotell A11 Tribute; iirc this wasn't the best pairing, it it could have been the Cambridge Audio AXA35 though. But whichever one it was, from memory, he said the amp will run the L2, but again paraphrasing, it's just OK, and needs a beefier amp to get the most out of the speaker

Last edited by a moderator:

robdmarsh

Oh hi Painter 24. You ordered some Triangle Comete 40th, didn't you? How did you get on with them? My guess is not too well as you've not changed your profile details.

One thing I would say about the Luminas if you're thinking about them is that the treble already sounded pretty keen with my amp which is quite laid back sounding. I know that your Atoll is known for its coolish presentation.

D

Deleted member 195594

Oh hi Painter 24. You ordered some Triangle Comete 40th, didn't you? How did you get on with them? My guess is not too well as you've not changed your profile details.
Hi Rob,

Yep, I've had them a couple of weeks but have hardly listened, as I adopted 2 rescue dogs over the last 2 weeks, so I've been giving them all my attention while we get them settled in.

I actually had a listen last night. I love them!

They take everything I liked about the BR03 presentation (minus the bass) and improves on it quite significantly. I must admit, the reviews on these saying the bass is lacking; I have to agree. Whether this is a design choice to let the upper mids and highs shine through, I don't know, but the bass is lacking

Saying that, what this has allowed me to do is to tune the REL in to the level I like (easier to add than take away) and it sounds fantastic to my ears. I'm looking forward to spending more time over the coming weeks as the new dogs find their feet. 👍

Reactions: 12th Monkey

robdmarsh

Interesting. My Titus are pretty small but I would not say they are bass light. In fact the punchiness of the bass is one of the things I most enjoy about them. I must admit I don't listen to a lot of bass heavy music but what bass these have I think is great.

D

Deleted member 195594

Interesting. My Titus are pretty small but I would not say they are bass light. In fact the punchiness of the bass is one of the things I most enjoy about them. I must admit I don't listen to a lot of bass heavy music but what bass these have I think is great.

Yeah, it is interesting. The BR03's were more than well endowed in the lower region, to the point my sub was redundant really. The Comete is the same cabinet (thicker walls I believe) which with my basic knowledge, makes me think the Comete 40th were deliberately designed the way they are bass-wise. The bass notes are articulate, and the Atoll grips nicely, but there's very little extension after this.

If it is deliberate, it suits me, as I'm not in to bass heavy music at all, but I do like it to be served up to me appropriately if it's in the music I'm listening to. Just to compare, the Concept 40's with their relatively small woofers (5.25 inches I think) produce much more bass, although there are 2 drivers, and they're rear ported, so the back wall comes in to play more

TRENDING THREADS