Advice: ATC SCM40a quietly better compared to ATC SCM40

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Just my two cent.

First I have to say I know ATC SCM40 pretty well. I started to work with them as a freelance producer and mixing/mastering engineer in a recordintg studio in the last three years and as the time passed I always loved and trusted them more.

Now I have a brand new, bigger home totally remade and I have more space for hi-fi and musical gear in general, and I get my faithfull ATC of three years at home on a loan with the studio owner :)

Now, in the studio, for some reasons, they bought a SCM40a version and, guess, it is love at first sight.

Yes, this SCM40a should be the same speakers just with an added, integrated amplification, then when I had them at home in the last week for test purposes, IMHO, they overcome the original SCM40. And it not just me, many professional friends and just friends and musicians think so.

It could be becouse of the triple, optimized and integrated amplification, then they offer a lot more to my ears. Well, not that SCM40 are bad, I love them, they always been the last listen bedore committing a work to the client (together some active Genelec and some passive Tannoy and some noisy Klipsch and some very bad, oldf Yamaha and some a lot of phones and car audio gear), then this SCM40a are litle better, I can't say exactly in which way, then they are even more analytical and more warm at the same time, they are incredible. You should listen them side by side and I suppose you could reach my same conclusions if you got a pair of trained, rock and roll ears :)

Amplification seems just perfect: I powered the SCM40 base with Roksan (very bad), NAD (very acceptable), Bryston (very good, this is the studio solution for our stack of ATC speakers), then the force and the sensation of power of the "A" revision is unsurpassed.

Now, I can't keep those "A" version at home (nor I think to buy it), tthen I will advise anyone that this "A" version is better and it solves in a single deal the usual amp and cable matching with authority, so I think they are quietly a deal for people thinking about getting this fantastic speakers, both professionals and simple hi-fi hobbists.

PS: for me the "A" 2015 version is better of 2013 not A version also for drivers, they seems identical then maybe the 2015 revision is better. I just suppose so, I can't prove it. Just a guess even if some solders between the cabinet and the drivers looks different.

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi Rick, in the last paragraph I try to say I'm not sure the speaker drivers in both models are exactly the same and not - in the SCM40a - a someway updated version of them.

abacus

An active speaker uses amps that are optimised for the relevant drive units, and use electronic crossovers (Which are much easier to design and optimise compared to passive) so there would be something seriously wrong (Or they were very badly deigned) if they did not improve on the passive version. (And this hasn’t altered over decades, which is why virtually all studios use primarily active rather than passive speakers)

Always go for the best you can afford, whether it is active or passive, as that way you will be safe in the knowledge that you have made a wise decision.

Bill

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
abacus said:
An active speaker uses amps that are optimised for the relevant drive units, and use electronic crossovers (Which are much easier to design and optimise compared to passive) so there would be something seriously wrong (Or they were very badly deigned) if they did not improve on the passive version. (And this hasn’t altered over decades, which is why virtually all studios use primarily active rather than passive speakers)

Well, to be more precise, in studio, and I freelanced with many, tracking is ALWAYS done with actives connected to the console. 99 per cent of the time, those actives are Genelec.

Mixing and mastering are another story. The studio I do freelance most, a very big one and pretty much the other I do freelance with, mostly mix with both passive and active at the same time. I do personally like to setup the work and the plugins with actives (always genelec) and in the same time verify them with amp and speakers. In the last three years my fav setup was Bryston or Macintosh plus ATC SCM40. Alternatively I do also enjoy a room setup with B&W Nautilis 802's powered by mcintosh.

[font="Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular"]Also for mastering purposes (I do everything, mastering included if the client is interested) pretty much the same amplification setup.[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular"]I do and I think many other engineers/prodicers, check the result on various hi-fi and mobile gears. Surely I so that.[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular"]Then I was told by the owner of the studio I do freelance for the most, that ATC think the active is the way to go. It seems some ATC engineer said active products are the most advanced ones.[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular"]To stay on topic, this SCM40A bought in Euro area from Uk depressed pounds (thank you Brexit! :) are a steel for how much they do offer in terms of quality.[/font]

Interesting to read your take on these. It was too costly for me to ‘leap’ to the actives when I changed my speakers earlier this year. In fact, even the passives were a stretch!

However, I’m glad they serve well in a studio environment as well as at home. I agree that they are a relative bargain for the quality of engineering - even at home when purchased in sterling.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that MaxD.

Please let us know what you think of the 40a's compared to 50's 100's, 150's or 200's, if you ever get the chance to compare them.

Also let us know what you think of them compared to high efficiency studio monitors from other brands, the type with one or two 15" drivers, if you ever get the chance to compare them too.

MaxD said:
Hi Rick, in the last paragraph I try to say I'm not sure the speaker drivers in both models are exactly the same and not - in the SCM40a - a someway updated version of them.

Hi MaxD

Thanks for your reply.

Are you referring to SCM40 MK1 or the MK2 curved SCM40 passive please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts