MDF Poisonous - stop buying speakers now! ;)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy:Yeh, just think ,if you did not have customers or personnel ,it would be so much easier to run your business.

I think you misunderstand the point - many customers are perfectly reasonable, some think your inert speaker boxes will kill them, I have no problem dealing with the former, it was the latter and 2 years of dealing with Wi-Fi Radio enquiries where people expected me to know their passwords that put me off answering the phone
emotion-4.gif

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
AEJim:

Ravey Gravey Davy:Yeh, just think ,if you did not have customers or personnel ,it would be so much easier to run your business.

I think you misunderstand the point - many customers are perfectly reasonable, some think your inert speaker boxes will kill them, I have no problem dealing with the former, it was the latter and 2 years of dealing with Wi-Fi Radio enquiries where people expected me to know their passwords that put me off answering the phone
emotion-4.gif

I think you missed my irony
emotion-2.gif

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy:AEJim:

emotion-4.gif

I think you missed my irony
emotion-2.gif

Probably
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

i think its a surprise to a lot of people that MDF is used because it is principally cheap.

I saw a cut away once of some Platinum 300's from MA and was suprised that the inside and construction looked so DIY and MDF like because it has such a lustrous exterior.

I blame the rubbish DIY TV programes for using MDF to make some piece of rubbish, when its actually a clever bit of engineering.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:I think you'll find quite a lot of speakers use this balanced veneering.

I am aware of some. (Harbeth for one) but was suprised to see it on the inside of my - relatively - budget R3s.

Now, what about this for a neat crossover? Phwoar! And on the inside of a sealed cabinet speaker where no-one is ever going to see it.

A

Anonymous

chebby:
My old Rega R3s were veneered on all the inside surfaces too. (Not varnished but veneered.)

I was quite impressed.

how did you get to see the inside of your speakers?

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:chebby:

My old Rega R3s were veneered on all the inside surfaces too. (Not varnished but veneered.)

I was quite impressed.

Not a Techie,but opening them up usually helps.

SteveR750

Ravey Gravey Davy:maxflinn:chebby:

I was quite impressed.

Not a Techie,but opening them up usually helps.

Badum tish!

Even The Two Ronnies weren't this good!

A

Anonymous

ok ok
emotion-10.gif
, was thinking more like why would you need to see the inside of them?

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy:

maxflinn:ok ok
emotion-10.gif

You need to ask a speaker gynaecologist.

Or one of those natty little cameras the FBI use in all the hostage films to spy on proceedings.
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

Ravey Gravey Davy:
emotion-10.gif

you wont need one for the new acoustic energy speakers, they are going to be fitted with a rubber
emotion-4.gif

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:Ravey Gravey Davy:

emotion-10.gif

you wont need one for the new acoustic energy speakers, they are going to be fitted with a rubber
emotion-4.gif

And that in the light of the Pope's visit. Really ,Max.

We are (in the UK ) after all, a 3rd world country- sorry ,wrong comment -I've got gout. (cf Monty P - I 'm sorry ,I've got a cold)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:how did you get to see the inside of your speakers?

It had a large front port and I had a torch and someone had reported the ingress of a large spider (never proved).

Perhaps the spider was overwhelmed by MDF fumes or perhaps it couldn't find it's way back out again. Maybe it is lying at the bottom of the R3 to this day - the speakers sold to a friend who lives in a cottage in Devon now - just basking in the radon gas that comes out of such granite dwellings and mutating into 'Arachnida Inarrtheellium Giganticus'.

A

Anonymous

chebby:
maxflinn:how did you get to see the inside of your speakers?

It had a large front port and I had a torch and someone had reported the ingress of a large spider (never proved).

emotion-21.gif
, he was no phool, he didnt crawl into any old mdf cased speaker
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

There are new regulations product manufacturers have to comply with in order to distribute MDF based products around the world these days. As well as ROHS compliance, there is also E1 and now E0 grade compliance for MDF based products. E1 restricts the inclusion of Formaldehyde and E0 grade even further. These have specific dates in which to comply. But essentially if speaker makes do not comply, then they will be in trouble by the country specific customs officials tasked with policing the legislation.

CARB is a different regulation which is even more restrictive for California right now, but it is viewed this will spread to the rest of North America soon.

The Formaldehyde in MDF bonds the wood powder together and makes it hard. Unfortunately Formaldehyde substitutes result in softer MDF, less dense and so the stiffness is lower. This then requires better bracing to get good sonic results. It is also much more expensive than the old Formaldehyde MDF grade.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I would imagine it's a lot less dangerous than the wi-fi we've now all been (unwillingly) surrounded with.

Come back in 20 years' time and we'll discuss the health issues of that....

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
jerry klinger:
I would imagine it's a lot less dangerous than the wi-fi we've now all been (unwillingly) surrounded with.

Come back in 20 years' time and we'll discuss the health issues of that....

Actually, that is something that concerns me a little - even though we're bombarded by RF all the time regardless I still like to make sure the router isn't too close to where I sit! I never put my phone on my lap either!
emotion-2.gif

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:AEJim:I never put my phone on my lap either!
emotion-2.gif

Of course not, how are you going to hear anything with it down there?

emotion-4.gif
I have some very loud friends!
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts