MDF Poisonous - stop buying speakers now! ;)

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Ok, just had to share - someone just called the office interested in AE22's but asked what they were made of, I said MDF and his response was akin to them being made of asbestos coated plutonium... "Nasty poisonous stuff, I don't have it anywhere in my house - it's actually banned in America!". "Really?" was my response, I think at least 95% of the speakers out there are made of it, you'll actually find it difficult to get speakers made of anything else, short of some nice hardwood Sonus Faber's or glass Waterfall's... He insisted on it's evil qualities though and it seems that's a lost customer!

Anyone else heard of this?? Some MDF contains Formaldehyde and you should wear a mask when cutting it, same as pretty much any material really - but this is the first I've heard of it emitting poisons into the air just by sitting there! I worry about some people. [:(]

A

Anonymous

perhaps he's planning on eating his future speakers,,,,,,which then might harm him...

but each to their own.............

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
brittondave:
perhaps he's planning on eating his future speakers,,,,,,which then might harm him...

You do get these customers come along about once a week - precisely the reason I left AE about 4 years ago to go help a reputable Audio retailer with their new website, I was persuaded back on the premise that I wouldn't have to answer the phones - occasionally there is no-one else suitable and I'm persuaded to take a call, I nearly always regret it...
emotion-1.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
AEJim:Anyone else heard of this?? Some MDF contains Formaldehyde and you should wear a mask when cutting it, same as pretty much any material really - but this is the first I've heard of it emitting poisons into the air just by sitting there! I worry about some people.
emotion-6.gif

Only a concern if you have large areas of exposed MDF in un-ventilated areas. If the MDF is sealed (painted, veneered etc) then not a problem.

Marine ply contains more toxic material in it's glue than MDF.

Some interesting reading here...

http://www.childrensfurniture.co.uk/mdf.html

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
I think the dust which MDF generates when you cut it is fairly unpleasant, but I am guessing AE dont sell speakers with the intention of the buyer taking chunks out of them with a Stihl Saw?

A

Anonymous

you should have told him the materials used were a closely gaurded secret, and asked him if he was a private detective hired by b & w or monitor audio, id say he would have ordered a pair right away
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

perhaps you Should be working in marketing for AE......................................................

No upgrades for a while ? just blasting you way through some old Nirvana I suspect?

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
JamesOK:I think the dust which MDF generates when you cut it is fairly unpleasant, but I am guessing AE dont sell speakers with the intention of the buyer taking chunks out of them with a Stihl Saw?

I did ask him if he realised that the speaker is not supplied "bare" and all the MDF is actually covered but he wasn't happy, sounded very serious about it in-fact
emotion-6.gif

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:you should have told him the materials used were a closely gaurded secret, and asked him if he was a private detective hired by b & w or monitor audio, id say he would have ordered a pair right away
emotion-11.gif

Well the next speakers we're releasing have a rubber layer in the MDF - I dread to think the evils that may do to mankind!
emotion-2.gif

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
There are always people in the world who misrepresent the truth based on one word in a sentence.(eg formaldehyde).It depends on the concentrations as to whether it is dangerous.The desk you are sitting at highly likely contains arsenic but it won't kill you as the ppm is so low as to be non-existent but it is still there.The EU legislation on toxicity levels is amongst the most stringent,especially since the introduction of REACH and as for kids toys ,extremely tough. If your caller knew the names of all the chemicals contained in all the products/clothes in his house, he'd have a serious telephone bill.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
AEJim:

maxflinn:you should have told him the materials used were a closely gaurded secret, and asked him if he was a private detective hired by b & w or monitor audio, id say he would have ordered a pair right away
emotion-11.gif

Well the next speakers we're releasing have a rubber layer in the MDF - I dread to think the evils that may do to mankind!
emotion-2.gif

Not only will they hurt a lot if you knock them off their stands and onto your toe (no doubt causing rampant blood poisoning), but when they bounce back up, they'll catch you under the chin!
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

MDF is not banned in america California does have a CARB regualtion which restricts the amount of formaldehyde in a product. However most MDF's are now carb certified. It's pretty hard to find any furniture or speaker not containing some sort of MDF even at the high end.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
AEJim:Well the next speakers we're releasing have a rubber layer in the MDF

So are you renaming 'Radiance' to 'Radial'?

Or will 'AE Pro' mean 'Prophylactic' rather than 'Professional'?

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy:There are always people in the world who misrepresent the truth based on one word in a sentence.(eg formaldehyde).It depends on the concentrations as to whether it is dangerous.The desk you are sitting at highly likely contains arsenic but it won't kill you as the ppm is so low as to be non-existent but it is still there.The EU legislation on toxicity levels is amongst the most stringent,especially since the introduction of REACH and as for kids toys ,extremely tough. If your caller knew the names of all the chemicals contained in all the products/clothes in his house, he'd have a serious telephone bill.

Yeah, I wonder how some people get through the day! It was fun telling our production guys who decided they should all get the afternoon off as they've been working with MDF and may be feeling queasy... This I think is a reflection on society, everyone is scared of everything - eggs, birds, rucksacks etc and anything they hear may send them running for cover... This county really needs to toughen up and get a backbone!

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
ESP2009:AEJim:
emotion-11.gif

emotion-2.gif

Not only will they hurt a lot if you knock them off their stands and onto your toe (no doubt causing rampant blood poisoning), but when they bounce back up, they'll catch you under the chin!
emotion-1.gif

Nice :) Luckily I've sourced some awesomely tacky (not in that way!) rubber pads to hold them to the stand - by nothing more than friction between the pads and stands I can tilt them at least 20 degrees before they start to come loose (all speakers/stands have to pass a 10 degree tilt test), result!
emotion-1.gif

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
AEJim:Well the next speakers we're releasing have a rubber layer in the MDF

So are you renaming 'Radiance' to 'Radial'?

Or will 'AE Pro' mean 'Prophylactic' rather than 'Professional'?

Ahh, nice work Chebby
emotion-1.gif
This is the "Reference" range so make of that what you can!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
AEJim:eggs, birds, rucksacks etc and anything they hear may send them running for cover...I think i might run for cover at the first signs of birds carrying rucksacks full of eggs. Mind you, below are the highlights of an email we were all sent yesterday:

"As I am sure you are all aware, the time is upon us once more for the decent" (sic) "of the conkers from the on site trees.

With this in mind, please take care when walking to the riverside, these are falling at a steady rate and could cause injury."

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
AEJim:eggs, birds, rucksacks etc and anything they hear may send them running for cover...I think i might run for cover at the first signs of birds carrying rucksacks full of eggs. Mind you, below are the highlights of an email we were all sent yesterday:

"As I am sure you are all aware, the time is upon us once more for the decent" (sic) "of the conkers from the on site trees.

With this in mind, please take care when walking to the riverside, these are falling at a steady rate and could cause injury."

Haymarket, earlier (with credit to the govt's Health and Safety Executive) :

conkers2.jpg

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
AEJim:eggs, birds, rucksacks etc and anything they hear may send them running for cover...

I think i might run for cover at the first signs of birds carrying rucksacks full of eggs. Mind you, below are the highlights of an email we were all sent yesterday:

`

Excellent, I think the one positive of all this anti-litigation safety culture is that it no doubt gives many people jobs coming up with new and interesting things to be wary of. I can picture the office now - news report comes in - "Man chokes on raisin" AWOOOGA, the alarms burst into life, the red lights start flashing - much brisk careful walking and mildly raised voices (so not to harm ears) occurs and the boss whispers "get me the number for Sunmaid, this is going to require much new and brightly coloured labelling..."

Triggy

Jan 24, 2005
Visit site
The Health & Safety Executive Website has a set of FAQs about MDF. Take at look at the link below...

http://www.hse.gov.uk/woodworking/faq-mdf.htm

Life is full of risks!

All risks are relative and the important thing to do is to keep them in perspective. Most of us drive and that is the riskiest thing we probably do on a daily basis.

Enjoy the music from the speakers (MDF or otherwise)!!

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
AEJim:ESP2009:AEJim:

emotion-11.gif

emotion-2.gif

emotion-1.gif

Nice :) Luckily I've sourced some awesomely tacky (not in that way!) rubber pads to hold them to the stand - by nothing more than friction between the pads and stands I can tilt them at least 20 degrees before they start to come loose (all speakers/stands have to pass a 10 degree tilt test), result!
emotion-1.gif

I applaud your attention to detail and concern for customer health & safety. Hope it's nice, safe, friendly rubber.
emotion-1.gif

JamesOK:I think the dust which MDF generates when you cut it is fairly unpleasant, but I am guessing AE dont sell speakers with the intention of the buyer taking chunks out of them with a Stihl Saw?

This could be the start of a new trend: Flat-pack speakers
emotion-4.gif
. Just don't overdo the raising agent...

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
ESP2009:AEJim:

emotion-11.gif

emotion-2.gif

emotion-1.gif

Sounds like a scene from a laurel and hardy film!! lol!
emotion-2.gif

ashcorn

Mar 17, 2008
Visit site
AEJim:brittondave:

You do get these customers come along about once a week - precisely the reason I left AE about 4 years ago to go help a reputable Audio retailer with their new website, I was persuaded back on the premise that I wouldn't have to answer the phones - occasionally there is no-one else suitable and I'm persuaded to take a call, I nearly always regret it...
emotion-1.gif

Those pesky customers. Such a nuisance.

TRENDING THREADS