Improving cd playback

dudleyperkins

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
After some deliberation I have decided not to go down the streamer/high resolution audio route, due in part to the cost of, and limited catalogue, of high resolution downloads. Though I expect in time the choice will certainly increase and the price might decrease.

I currently have an Arcam CD17, Sugden A21a amp and Monitor Audio Silver 6 speakers. I want to improve the source, so do I buy something like a Cyrus CDi player or buy a DAC like a Rega-R so the Arcam would just be a cd transport?

I think you'll have to go further up the chain than rega r dac or Cyrus cdi to get a marked improvement over your current arcam fmj cd17,maybe chords Hugo or hugo tt would be the one that would give a noticeable improvement,also arcams own d33 is available for a song on a certain auction site (was about 2k)source upgrades tend to be a bit more subtle than say a speaker change ime,but if the need for change is to overwhelming then the dac route is probably the more versatile option than the CD player ,as you mentioned you probably will get into streaming at some point and a good dac is a fine starting point.

TRENDING THREADS