Improving Current HiFi setup

Hi - I really feel as though I'm not making the most of my current setup. I currently have the following:

Musical Fidelity M3si
ATC SCM11 Speakers
Apple Music
Airport Express

The amplifier is connected to the AirPort Express and I play my music from my Mac using Airplay. The sound lacks depth and I feel as though I could do something different - whether it be how I connect the devices or buy a streamer, etc - in order to improve the sound. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Reactions: Revolutions
D

Deleted member 201267

Hi - I really feel as though I'm not making the most of my current setup. I currently have the following:

Musical Fidelity M3si
ATC SCM11 Speakers
Apple Music
Airport Express

The amplifier is connected to the AirPort Express and I play my music from my Mac using Airplay. The sound lacks depth and I feel as though I could do something different - whether it be how I connect the devices or buy a streamer, etc - in order to improve the sound. Any suggestions?
More powerful Amp ?

Reactions: Revolutions

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
That amp has plenty of output. AirPlay 2 seems like it could be the weak link.

Have you tried connecting your Mac to the amp via usb to hear how that sounds? Also any other aux input to see if the amp/speaker combo works for you.

Witterings

Could try a WiiM streamer currently all 3 versions on Black Friday offer on Amazon and if you don't like it send it back
Only thing is you'd still be limited to Airplay 2, unless you also did a free trial with Amazon Music or Qobuz to see if you felt there was a noticeable difference that might make it worth changing.

Won't cost you anything to try any of the above and at least you'd know.

Reactions: James105

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
I'd say the DAC in the airport express, try 7oaks they have the blue sound node @ £399 or the Wiim pro plus at £169, the Wiim pro is £119. As its Black Friday those are proberly the prices every where I'd guess.

abacus

ATC speakers need an amp with plenty of oomph to get the best out of them, unless you are in a small room the M3si is borderline on its ability to drive them, so definitely try out some other amps out. (Go for something that has plenty of output at 4ohm as well as 8ohms as the more current it can deliver the better)

Bill

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site

Musical Fidelity M3si
ATC SCM11 Speakers
Apple Music
Airport Express

At a minimum, you need to add a subwoofer (2.1 system, triphonic). The ATC SCM11 are small bookshelf speakers and are not capable of reproducing the full musical frequency range. As a maximum, you need a sound correction system - Dirac, Sonarworks, etc.

PS. I would sell the ATC SCM11, they cost much more than their capabilities, a pointless purchase in my opinion.

At a minimum, you need to add a subwoofer (2.1 system, triphonic). The ATC SCM11 are small bookshelf speakers and are not capable of reproducing the full musical frequency range. As a maximum, you need a sound correction system - Dirac, Sonarworks, etc.

PS. I would sell the ATC SCM11, they cost much more than their capabilities, a pointless purchase in my opinion.
Clarify?
What exactly do you have against ATC speakers?
I have never needed any software to tune my set-up to my liking. Tried a few and they were all dire in a stereo situation.
As others have pointed out, if there is something missing in a system, it's usually the source......

Reactions: WayneKerr
D

Deleted member 201267

ATC speakers need an amp with plenty of oomph to get the best out of them, unless you are in a small room the M3si is borderline on its ability to drive them, so definitely try out some other amps out. (Go for something that has plenty of output at 4ohm as well as 8ohms as the more current it can deliver the better)

Bill
An M6si would be better !

Roger_A

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The DAC in the amp doesn't have an optical input just usb for PC as far as I can tell.
Yes, it appears that the only digital input on the amp is a USB b socket where most have optical and RCA inputs. The Airport Express USB socket can only connect to a suitable printer as well I believe so they're pretty well incompatible with digital connections.

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Yes, it appears that the only digital input on the amp is a USB b socket where most have optical and RCA inputs. The Airport Express USB socket can only connect to a suitable printer as well I believe so they're pretty well incompatible with digital connections.
They have a mini TOS link out in the 1/4" jack, or they used to.

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
asta la vista
Clarify?
What exactly do you have against ATC speakers?
Physics cannot be fooled; the sound quality of the speakers is determined by the size of the housing and the diameter of the moving system. These little ATCs can't do more than they can and the price won't fix anything.

Roger_A

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
They have a mini TOS link out in the 1/4" jack, or they used to.
Yes they do but as I stated, the amplifier only has a usb b socket for input of a digital signal so can't be connected directly to the Airport Express so the OP must be using the DAC in the AE to provide an analogue signal into the amp.

Musical Fidelity M3si
ATC SCM11 Speakers
Apple Music
Airport Express

Where do you think the sound is lacking? On paper it seems like a really good system.

Reactions: James105

TRENDING THREADS