i need to stop being so sceptical!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Alternative solution - shut the door, wedge it shut, keep the wife/kids/cats/dogs out.

End of story.

A

Anonymous

Craig M.:took my speaker cable into my local hifi shop to have them shortened and re-terminated. got them to make me some jumpers out of the off cuts to replace the plates between hf and lf speaker connections. i only had them done because i like the look of jumper cables, i mean, you cant expect changing the plates for 6 inch of wire to do anything. well i'll be.... very definite small change in tonality, sound is slightly bassier now.
emotion-15.gif

Inspired by Craig, I just tried the same tonight with a couple of offcuts from the Odyssey 2.

There wasn't enough cable to do the job properly, plus it's hard to combine two strands of Odyssey to fit into the terminal, so it looks like a pig's breakfast. However, despite the shambles behind the scenes, it's noticeably bassier - not just a bit, but to the extent I had to reposition the speakers further away from the wall even at lowish "kids in bed" volume.

If I had to put money on it I'd also say there's a bit more detail all round, but before anyone jumps down my throat it's impossible to tell for sure without doing a proper A/B test so it might be the pixies in my head and/or it might be because I'm listening closer. Having said that, the longer I listen and the more CDs I listen to, the more I tend to hear differences - again possibly because I'm now specifically looking for them. Unfortunately, I can't do any sort of meaningful comparison because if I replace the cables with plates again, the cables will never go back in, such is the botch I made of it. However, it's made me consider getting some jumpers made up to do the job rather more aesthetically longer-term. I'm a bit gobsmacked about this to be honest as I really expected no difference but certainly as regards the bass there's not much doubt in my mind given that I had to immediately shift the speakers.

But daft question coming up...I tried to twist two strands of cable together to form each separate jumper, but now I think about it, this makes the jumper connection twice as thick as the 'normal' connection from amp. Should I just have connected the spare terminals with a single strand of Odyssey, or is it better to try to combine two strands for a thicker connection? Or should it not matter?

A

Anonymous

dim_span:you can buy 'ready made' ones from SHB

Many thanks for that D_S - very much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

athenry:

dim_span:you can buy 'ready made' ones from SHB

Many thanks for that D_S - very much appreciated.

pleasure! .... if you do get them, keep us informed ....

A

Anonymous

Well, day 2 of new 'jumpers' and just listening to Nina Simone on a compilation CD ("Feeling Good") - honestly just sounds great. To such an extent I've just ordered a Nina Simone CD from Amazon (as well as another Moody Blues SACD!). Bjork has just come on now, and the sound is just so...I don't know. It's like a whole world of detail has opened up and the soundstage is much deeper...not wider, but deeper. Hope I'm not overplaying this but I'm genuinely reconsidering the need to buy new speakers now - firstly, the Odyssey cable and now, secondly, the home made jumpers has elevated the sound to such an extent that I'm just wondering if it's worth buying speakers (within my price range) when I'm thrilled with what I'm listening to right now. Oh, and would it be OK with SHB jumpers and Odyssey cable or should I try to stick to Odyssey throughout?

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Fahnsen:
Cleaning and tightening the connections might make a difference.

Moving your speakers slightly during the switch might make a difference.

Your expectations and eagerness to detect changes might make a difference.

my amp is only a few months old, so doubt cleaning or tightening did anything.

didn't move the speakers.

didn't expect a change, hence the thread title.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
jaxwired:
Oh great, now your system sounds even better? That's just not fair...

Hmmm...I've got a bit too much speaker cable myself. Did you shorten the cable for appearance sake or as a SQ tweak?

shortened for appearance, went from 3 metres to 2 and 2.5 metres.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
athenry:Well, day 2 of new 'jumpers' and just listening to Nina Simone on a compilation CD ("Feeling Good") - honestly just sounds great. To such an extent I've just ordered a Nina Simone CD from Amazon (as well as another Moody Blues SACD!). Bjork has just come on now, and the sound is just so...I don't know. It's like a whole world of detail has opened up and the soundstage is much deeper...not wider, but deeper. Hope I'm not overplaying this but I'm genuinely reconsidering the need to buy new speakers now - firstly, the Odyssey cable and now, secondly, the home made jumpers has elevated the sound to such an extent that I'm just wondering if it's worth buying speakers (within my price range) when I'm thrilled with what I'm listening to right now. Oh, and would it be OK with SHB jumpers and Odyssey cable or should I try to stick to Odyssey throughout?

glad you've got a good result from it.

as to which to use, i'd say mix and match is fine if you like the sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts